Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Star Wars 3 DLP!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Awshux 
#1 ·
Well, 2 of 3 kids are away for the weekend so me and the wife grabbed kid #3 and took him to see Star Wars Ep 3 tonight....Our local theater is about the only one in the area to have some DLP equipment. I wasn't very interested in the movie having not seen EP1 or EP2 but I wanted to see the DLP tech in action...FRIGGIN' AWESOME. What a picture....clear, crisp, nicely saturated. Really looked great...if you've not seen it and still plan on it, try and find a theater showing the DLP version, absolutely seems worth it.

>> SPOLIER WARNING BECAUSE SOME SIMPLE B*TCH WILL COMPLAIN IF IT'S NOT HERE <<

The movie? Surprisingly not bad...though I think the problem with #3 being the "missing piece" in the story, it took alot of drama out since you already knew what was gonna happen. Was like Lucas needed a cash grab and created a movie completely from backstory.

Instead of just knowing that Vader's wife dies during childbirth and the twins, Luke and Leia are shipped off to be hidden from the bad dudes, you get to see it. Whoopee....

You knew the Jedi's get wiped out in short order when Vader crosses over, but now you get to see it. I kinda liked that but it didn't make the movie better watching the troops turn on 4 or 5 Jedi leaders in succession. A bit overdone.....again, you know Yoda's around in EPS5/6 so you know he's not gonna be taken down in the slaughter. What was kind of cool was that at the time he was with the Wookies and you know they wouldn't be the type to sell out.

Was also cool to see Christopher Lee get taken out....Obi-Wan representin'!

You get to see Obi-Wan and Vader duking it out among the flowing lave but there's hardly any suspense or drama because you've known for what, 30 years that Obi-Wan was alive and well in the original flick...and it's been a long time that everyone knew how Vader became disfigured.

One of the best shots in the movie was the extreme closeup of when Vader's mask is lowered on his face for the first time, and then the profile of he helmet coming down and cranked into place. Perfect, shot couldn't have been better. Tho.....looking at all the detail and design the Empire put into Vader's headgear, I had to wonder why they put an ultra-cheesy looking control panel of Radio Shack rocker switches and LEDs on his chest. Back in the 70s, films wasn't so crystal clear and we didn't know any better tech-wise but now it looks very out of place. Lucas changed everything else about his series, he coulda updated Vader's chest panel. OK, I'm not completely in favor of that because I can't stand all the other crap he screwed with.

For someone who had no interest or reason to see EPS1/2, this one had appeal...and it was pretty good.

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree completely on everything. One thing I did wonder though, is how does the droid General Grievous cough and hack like he has tuberculosis or something? It also seems to me that a flesh heart and lungs inside all of that was a little odd.

#3 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
I agree completely on everything. One thing I did wonder though, is how does the droid General Grievous cough and hack like he has tuberculosis or something? It also seems to me that a flesh heart and lungs inside all of that was a little odd.
I wondered that myself.

Also, the guy who's plays Darth Vader is a terrible actor. I noticed that in episode one. I rank him with Wesley Snipes and Keanu Reeves because I can see right through their acting.

Excellent movie though!

I hope they come out with directors cuts like the Lord of the Rings, and add deleted scenes.

Jon

#4 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
I'm not a total SW geek so I don't know his history, but it's possible, that like Vader they saved what was left cause he was just too evil to let die, and then built a skeleton around him.

Jon Kopczyk said:
Also, the guy who's plays Darth Vader is a terrible actor. I noticed that in episode one.
What stuck out to me was when they rotated the platform up and he walked off it.....looked totally like a robot. I guess you could explain that away as Vader now having robot legs and walking on them for the first time.

Jon Kopczyk said:
I hope they come out with directors cuts like the Lord of the Rings, and add deleted scenes.
No doubt there will be a 6 movie box set coming out....I heard the DLP version is slightly different than the standard projection, but don't have any solid reference to quote.

#6 ·
Everything I've read says Grievous is part-alien, part-droid, which explains his odd mix of flesh and machine. I've no idea how he got that way, however.

Here's info from the StarWars.com website: "A twisted melding of flesh and metal, General Grievous' body is a deadly weapon forged by the cutting edge developers of the Confederacy. Within the hardened carapace beats the heart of a remorseless killer. Grievous hunted Jedi for sport and proudly displayed his victims' lightsabers around his belt as trophies of his conquests. His unorthodox fighting form and mechanical enhancements gave him an edge in close-quarters combat, and his strategic ingenuity and flawless cunning rendered him almost invincible against the Jedi."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.