Speeding ticket question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Speeding ticket question?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
nofrills
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Speeding ticket question?

I was issued a speeding ticket on my way to work this morning. The cop said I was doing 50mph in a 35. Now when i went by him, I looked at my speedo and it said 40mph. I have 33" tire on the jeep, and it seems like the speedo is off by like 4-5mph.
Is it possible that 33" tires on a stock, 2003 X, speedo gear can be off by as much as 10mph?

nofrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
carr51
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know that mine is off by exactly 5mph. Ive used the GPS method, had a friend get behind me. I dont know about any more than that. I have 33s with 3.73 gears. 4.0L manual.
carr51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a number of things. If you were speeding up, you could have speedo lag. He could have read it wrong. I'd say it was probably right though. Mine's off by about 7-8 mph @ 65mph with GPS, and most speedos are off by 2-3 mph anyway.
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you haven't recalibrated your speedometer, you're definitely traveling faster than your speedometer indicates. Can't say by how much but cops are pretty good at figuring out how fast you're really going. Personally, I generally give the cops the nod in this stuff. In my 45 years of driving, I haven't had many speeding tickets but I never got one that I could have argued with.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
hilhil45

Even if the speedometer in your Jeep is off, the burden falls on you to know your correct speed.
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
nofrills
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am not planning on fighting it, was more concerned with my speedo gear and actual speed. I mean, 4-5mph off i can deal with, but if it's 10mph off i will change the gear. Thanks for the input guys.
nofrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofrills
I was issued a speeding ticket on my way to work this morning. The cop said I was doing 50mph in a 35. Now when i went by him, I looked at my speedo and it said 40mph. I have 33" tire on the jeep, and it seems like the speedo is off by like 4-5mph.
Is it possible that 33" tires on a stock, 2003 X, speedo gear can be off by as much as 10mph?
My Grand is off 8 MPH at 50 when I get a reading with my GPS. This is with almost 32' tall Mud tires.
You certainly could be close to 10 mph faster than your speedo reads.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_
Could be a number of things. If you were speeding up, you could have speedo lag. He could have read it wrong. I'd say it was probably right though. Mine's off by about 7-8 mph @ 65mph with GPS, and most speedos are off by 2-3 mph anyway.
What I have seen is the other way though...
Most speedos I have checked usually read 2 to 3 miles faster, not slower than actual speed.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not planning on fighting it, was more concerned with my speedo gear and actual speed. I mean, 4-5mph off i can deal with, but if it's 10mph off i will change the gear. Thanks for the input guys.
Good idea. It's one of the most simple things to do after a lift. There's write ups all over that show how to with pitcures, very simple task. Make sure you get the right tooth count.

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycat3
What I have seen is the other way though...
Most speedos I have checked usually read 2 to 3 miles faster, not slower than actual speed.
Not once you install bigger tires.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Not once you install bigger tires.
Oh no... I was referring to stock tires.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
Indy

What's your stock tire height?

And most 'factory calibrated' speedos have an error range of at best +- 3-5 mph. Non 'factory calibrated' may be a bit more. I'm a big fan of GPS'ing my speedo.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
RAMBOY

Quote:

Why not fight it? At least go to court and hope the cop doesn't show so the case is dismissed. Even if the cop shows your fine/points may be reduced.
RAMBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

The local court is across the hall from my office. I have heard all types of pleas and excuses. I have heard the "my spedo must be off" more than once. Every time the judge says the same thing. It is your responsibility to know your speed and the speed limit of the road you are traveling on. If you try to fight it you're not likely to win. The judge will ask to see tuning records for the radar, they will be detailed, current and prove that the radar is accurate. He will then find you guilty and you will not get a reduced points deal. I say pay the ticket and move on with life.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Borrow a GPS to check your speed.
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.