Speakers for my desktop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Speakers for my desktop?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Speakers for my desktop?

Guys I have a machine shop and really like listening to the radio but sometimes when certain machines are running they create so much static I have to turn the radio off. I've noticed nothing affects the small speaker on my desktop computer but it won't carry far into the shop. Is there any way I can mount speakers out in the shop and hook them to my desktop? I'm not all that computer savvy so keep it simple for me

Thanks!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Whats the current shop radio? If its got a connection for audio in you can run a cable to it from the computer. If your looking for a new what price range are you looking at? Most computers don't have a amplifier so large speakers wont work without a separate amp.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

Wouldn't the static issue be due to the fact that the vibrations and frequencies caused by the machinery is interfering with the reception of the radio? The computer is not having issues probably because it is using an internet connection for music instead of a FM freq. I would wonder if the better option of putting some type of desktop in the shop with some good speakers would be better than a different FM radio, I have a set of speakers at home with an 8 inch subwoofer that are pretty loud when you crank them up. I am sure they make some computer speakers that could fit the need. I don't know if newer model FM radios would better protect against something like that than an older one. These are just my thoughts, not sure if I may be way of base.
jamesrw30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Whats the current shop radio? If its got a connection for audio in you can run a cable to it from the computer. If your looking for a new what price range are you looking at? Most computers don't have a amplifier so large speakers wont work without a separate amp.
It's just something that I picked up at Wal Mart that has a couple of separate speakers. Fluorescent lights, and I have many wreak havoc on the radio too and this is a metal sided building so there are allot of things working against the radio. Also have a lathe with an invertor drive on it and that makes it impossible to listen. I wouldn't mind hooking up an amp to boost the power to the speakers. As far as price goes. Well I make my living in here every day and want something decent and dependable. Could I get by for under $500.00?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrw30 View Post
Wouldn't the static issue be due to the fact that the vibrations and frequencies caused by the machinery is interfering with the reception of the radio? The computer is not having issues probably because it is using an internet connection for music instead of a FM freq. I would wonder if the better option of putting some type of desktop in the shop with some good speakers would be better than a different FM radio, I have a set of speakers at home with an 8 inch subwoofer that are pretty loud when you crank them up. I am sure they make some computer speakers that could fit the need. I don't know if newer model FM radios would better protect against something like that than an older one. These are just my thoughts, not sure if I may be way of base.
Yes, you are correct on the static issues. I do have a desktop in the shop now, in the office which is in an enclosed room in the corner of the shop. What I had in mind was using my existing desktop and putting at least 2 speakers in the shop. The main part of the shop is 30ft. x 30ft. and I had thought of those two speakers mounted in opposing corners about 7ft. high. I'd need a way to control the volume and as stated earlier an amp. But I'm by no means knowledgeable about this and looking for help.

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

cpu headphones jack to any stereo aux in

you are welcome $1000 donation to http://www.autismspeaks.org/site-wide/cure-autism-now as payment
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
It's just something that I picked up at Wal Mart that has a couple of separate speakers. Fluorescent lights, and I have many wreak havoc on the radio too and this is a metal sided building so there are allot of things working against the radio. Also have a lathe with an invertor drive on it and that makes it impossible to listen. I wouldn't mind hooking up an amp to boost the power to the speakers. As far as price goes. Well I make my living in here every day and want something decent and dependable. Could I get by for under $500.00?

Yes, you are correct on the static issues. I do have a desktop in the shop now, in the office which is in an enclosed room in the corner of the shop. What I had in mind was using my existing desktop and putting at least 2 speakers in the shop. The main part of the shop is 30ft. x 30ft. and I had thought of those two speakers mounted in opposing corners about 7ft. high. I'd need a way to control the volume and as stated earlier an amp. But I'm by no means knowledgeable about this and looking for help.
500 would be more than enough. I would suggest hitting up bestbuy or similar and listen to some speakers. As for the metal building you can extend the antenna outside but it can be tricky. I prefer to use the net for it especially with that inverter. My current garage setup is 2 Bose 201 bookshelf speakers with a HarmenKarden AVR 5 receiver. I have to keep it down because I work with the doors open and neighbors are home at night. Another option that's probably cheaper would be a computer audio system like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121050 Its similar to the one I have but mines older. If I turn it up enough I can hear it outside my house. You don't have to go super high end theres options for under 100 as well just make sure they are wired connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
cpu headphones jack to any stereo aux in

you are welcome $1000 donation to http://www.autismspeaks.org/site-wide/cure-autism-now as payment
Headphones or anything long attached to the head or neck is a rather bad idea around machines.
Unread 08-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Headphones or anything long attached to the head or neck is a rather bad idea around machines.
huh? wt r u talking about ?
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
huh? wt r u talking about ?
He's talking about the well known common issue of wearing anything loose around machinery..such as loose clothing,jewelry etc..including wires from headphones that can get caught up into the machinery and pulled(including YOU) into the machinery...........

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys!

My build thread
Unread 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post

He's talking about the well known common issue of wearing anything loose around machinery..such as loose clothing,jewelry etc..including wires from headphones that can get caught up into the machinery and pulled(including YOU) into the machinery...........
He wasn't talking about using headphones, he was referencing using an 1/8" to rca cable for connecting the computer to a stereo.
Unread 08-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go w Sirius problem solved! (Kidding)
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
He wasn't talking about using headphones, he was referencing using an 1/8" to rca cable for connecting the computer to a stereo.
all i saw was headphones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.