Son bit by dog - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Son bit by dog

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Masta-P
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Son bit by dog

The neighbors dog bite my son in the face last week. She told us at that time that the dog had its shots and that she was going to put in down. She didn't have it put down and I just found out it didn't have its rabies vaccine. I'm thinking of getting a lawyer involved, just to put a little pressure on her. My boy's ok, 3 stitches in his lip and some wounds that appear to be healing well but all he talks about is why the dog attacked him for no reason. I'm tired of seeing him in pain because of this chick being so careless. The dog broke through a door and knocked my boy of his bike (on my property). I shot the dog (with her permission) after she told me she blew off the vet appointment because she didn't have the heart to put it to sleep. She had been telling us the dog was vaccinated but couldn't find the records. I asked for the vets name so I could verify and that's when she fessed up.
Any words of wisdom from the Great Jeep Forum community?

Masta-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I might be missing it, but to me the most important part would be dealing with the potential issue of a non-vaccinated dog. Have you discussed your concerns with a doctor? If you are unsure about whether or not the dog could have been rabid this could be a serious concern. What was the final disposition of said dog? As in, can it be exhumed and tested?

As far as legal goes, you could "sue" for damages if you feel that you are entitled to something out of it or need reimbursement for medical bills.

To me though, provided that everything else is good, the main problem has been dealt with.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You shot the dog drop it, lawyering up is just gonna cause more drama. You could of had the dog tested, you might be able to still but I doubt it. If your really concerned about seeing your son in pain, wait till he has to get rabies shots its not a fun event ask me how I know. The chances of a dog having rabies is vary small.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
You shot the dog drop it, lawyering up is just gonna cause more drama.
This

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Masta-P
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. It's just tough watching my boy go through the first round of rabies shots, knowing there is more to come. It makes my blood boil that this chick wasn't honest with me when the well being of child was concerned. I thank God it wasn't more serious. I do agree that any legal action would just cause more drama, I'm not looking for a payday. The animal was taken care of, my boy will be ok and she's got fines coming for having an unlicensed, unvaccinated dog. The Dept of Health was contacted by the ER when the bite happened and they sent out the animal control people ( I just found that out about 20 minutes ago).
Thanks for lettin' me vent a little.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Am I the only one that feels bad for the dog? It was obviously in a bad home if the owner just lets someone shoot it.... in a good home it probably would have been better behaved.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
Am I the only one that feels bad for the dog? It was obviously in a bad home if the owner just lets someone shoot it.... in a good home it probably would have been better behaved.
This. The owner is 100% at fault. I feel really bad for the dog, and for OP's son. Both are now victims of an irresponsible dog owner.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Masta-P
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
Don't feel bad, the .45 made it quick and with all the more brains that were left, I don't think it felt a thing.
The owner was unfit, you're right about that.
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Better hope you raised him right and he don't bite someone.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's

Last edited by austin6137; 07-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: changed before I get banned
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I love dogs. Like people though, some are good and some are not. Dogs learn from their masters so you'll often find that good dogs belong to good people. There's a reason for the old cliche 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. I think you did the right thing. How would you feel if it happened to another kid and maybe worse next time. Make sure your son can spend some time with a good dog soon so he gets past it in his head and moves on. Not your fault you and your son found yourselves in this situation, good luck my friends.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Masta-P
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The more I talk to the owner and her boyfriend the worse this gets. I've been told that they were "afraid something like this would happen", "wanted to put it down before someone got hurt". They have 2 kids, why would you keep an animal like that around? It wasn't a pet, they kept it chained to a tree 24/7. The only reason they put it in the garage was because it was raising so much hell while the kids were riding their bikes.

And Austin6137 or whatever it is, What are you trying to get at? Go ahead and spit it out. Even at 6 years old my boy knows that there are consequences for his actions and that he's got to be responsible for what he does. Something the owner never learned.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I will your an idiot, who is no better then the dogs owner. Instead of shooting the dog even with the owners permission. You should have contacted the police or animal control and let them take the dog. They could of tested the dog seen if it was rabid, potentially saving your son from receiving rabies shots which btw cost close to $6,000.00. But no you had to take it into your own hands and kill the dog by as you said blowing its brains out. You sir do not deserve to have animals, if you shot the dog in the middle of an attack fine so be it but after the fact no.

Oh and btw it's BIT by dog not bite.
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #13
Masta-P
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No need for name callin buddy. The owner asked for me to do it and said the animal was vaccinated at the time of the bite. The boyfriend said they couldn't afford to put the dog down. The dog was shot 3 days after it bit him. It took a week of me asking for the records before she told me the truth. How do you think my boy felt when we saw the dog alive after the time and day that the owner said it would be put down? Scared to death, that's how he felt. Afraid to ride his bike on my property, concerned that he had to walk by the dog to get to the school bus. The last thing I wanted to do was shoot the dog but the owner was not going to do anything. I just wanted it to be over with, that's why no authorities were involved. If she had been honest from the start it would not have come to this, the dog could have been tested, saving my boy from getting the rabies shots.

And I realized the mistake, I was waiting for the spelling nazis to appear.
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The kid is getting shots, and that dog is dead, so it's pretty much too late to do ANYTHING differently now. I have to agree though that you had no right (even with permission) to kill the dog, and that it was not the best course of action to take for you, your kid, the owner, or the dog. You should have involved the authorities immediately if the dog's behavior/health, owner's fitness, and your child's safety was that much of a concern to you. There's no excuse.

My words of wisdom? Next time, ask for advice BEFORE you do something rash instead of acting then coming to a Jeep forum looking for validation for your actions concerning dogs, the law, and child safety.

Oh, and it may behoove you to know that I am a dog trainer and behavioral consultant. I work with all cases but am beginning to develop a specialty for aggressive dogs. I'm not just another Jeep guy taking stabs in the dark.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
The kid is getting shots, and that dog is dead, so it's pretty much too late to do ANYTHING differently now. I have to agree though that you had no right (even with permission) to kill the dog, and that it was not the best course of action to take for you, your kid, the owner, or the dog. You should have involved the authorities immediately if the dog's behavior/health, owner's fitness, and your child's safety was that much of a concern to you. There's no excuse.

My words of wisdom? Next time, ask for advice BEFORE you do something rash instead of acting then coming to a Jeep forum looking for validation for your actions concerning dogs, the law, and child safety.

Oh, and it may behoove you to know that I am a dog trainer and behavioral consultant. I work with all cases but am beginning to develop a specialty for aggressive dogs. I'm not just another Jeep guy taking stabs in the dark.
You ever trained a Jindo? Jeeeezus. People weren't kidding when they said Jindos are stubborn dogs, but damn they are smart. Mine doesn't even use verbal commands anymore, she goes off hand signals and facial expressions.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.