Somebody school me on the AR-15 rifle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Somebody school me on the AR-15 rifle

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
stone
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
I really want an AR. Whats a good off the shelf starter?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-carbine.html

stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

if you have 1500 to spend i would look into a ruger sr556. i have been around and shot many ar's and to me the ruger made the others feel like a toy. it is also piston driven and one hell of a rifle.
rubicon17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you don't want to build one...go to Wally World. Pick up a Colt 6920 and call it a day.

The PSA one linked is gtg as well. PSA uses solid parts...

So does Spike's Tactical, Bravo Company...depends on your budget.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Complete lower-$250-300,,,this u have to do the paperwork on

Complete upper-depends on ur needs-barrel length, etc etc,,,$300 and up
Complete bolt- $100-200
Charging handle-$30

Buy a manual,
DPMS, rock river, bushmaster ,,,,
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I thought I saw a Mossberg at Academy Sports for $499.

I don't know anything about it though.
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Builds a tight rifle. I've purchased 3 of them at Scheels which sells them way under msrp. The last 2 are 223 short stainless bull barrels for $750. http://dpmsinc.com/
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17
if you have 1500 to spend i would look into a ruger sr556. i have been around and shot many ar's and to me the ruger made the others feel like a toy. it is also piston driven and one hell of a rifle.
Ive had a few Ruger hunting rifles and was quite fond of them so I checked out the their AR15 today. was not disappointed and yes they felt more substantial than the Winchester m&p and even the colt. surprised at the comparison. they aren't cheap though.
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

To me the main things to look at in an ar are piston( new technology, great, but more expensive ), or gas operated ( good technology, but you need to clean it more ). After that I look at tightness of the rifle. Hold it to your side by the grip and shake it. My brother had a pretty used bushmaster that was loose as a goose. That bushmaster could be field stripped in seconds, while my dpms required tools too push the tight pin out. Even with that I prefer a tight rifle.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
To me the main things to look at in an ar are piston( new technology, great, but more expensive ), or gas operated ( good technology, but you need to clean it more ). After that I look at tightness of the rifle. Hold it to your side by the grip and shake it. My brother had a pretty used bushmaster that was loose as a goose. That bushmaster could be field stripped in seconds, while my dpms required tools too push the tight pin out. Even with that I prefer a tight rifle.
Good post. Was wondering about the piston vs gas operation. Any more info on the mechanics? Im very unsure If I want to build or buy complete. Im sure I could build one but Im a bit overwhelmed with all the options for a build. A comparative from personal experience would be helpful. thanks for the imput
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

I'd personally buy one. They start around $700 from dpms. I first bought the 308 panther bull because I wanted it for long range varmint, and deer hunting, but it was too heavy for both. I would highly recommend collapsible stock, short light barrel, and a 223 for cheap rounds. Gas operated means it functions similar to a bolt action but the gas from the spent round travels up a tube and releases the bolt. This causes the spent powder residue to mess with operations after many rounds. A piston rifle works the same way except there is a tiny chamber the gas goes into, pushing a piston and rod. A piston ar is a mix of the best from the ar, and the Ak-47.
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
I'd personally buy one. They start around $700 from dpms. I first bought the 308 panther bull because I wanted it for long range varmint, and deer hunting, but it was too heavy for both. I would highly recommend collapsible stock, short light barrel, and a 223 for cheap rounds. Gas operated means it functions similar to a bolt action but the gas from the spent round travels up a tube and releases the bolt. This causes the spent powder residue to mess with operations after many rounds. A piston rifle works the same way except there is a tiny chamber the gas goes into, pushing a piston and rod. A piston ar is a mix of the best from the ar, and the Ak-47.
Excellent. this is the kind of info I need. Looking at the complete rifles today and I couldnt find any with a stock I like and most didnt have a hand guard that I liked. Are these items proprietary or can I put about any brand accessory with any popular brand AR15 platform? Ill be sure to check out dpms, seeing this brand the more I read on the different forums.
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

that tiny gas tube is what plugs up with crude and makes it useless. im glad you handled the ruger and know how it is, they are not cheap but it really is the currie lifts of ar's. quad rail, badass sights, the build, the quality. guns are a very good investment. are you lookin for something tactical or original style? any bushmaster,dpms,colt, ruger, smith and wesson m&p, ect. are great guns. also check out used ones. buds gun shop is a great place for some eye candy.
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
that tiny gas tube is what plugs up with crude and makes it useless. im glad you handled the ruger and know how it is, they are not cheap but it really is the currie lifts of ar's. quad rail, badass sights, the build, the quality. guns are a very good investment. are you lookin for something tactical or original style? any bushmaster,dpms,colt, ruger, smith and wesson m&p, ect. are great guns. also check out used ones. buds gun shop is a great place for some eye candy.
Going tactical this time for rifle and shot gun eventually. I loved the quad rail, was the only one I handled with it. Hated the stock, on all the guns really. I would have to change that out.
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbcrawler

Excellent. this is the kind of info I need. Looking at the complete rifles today and I couldnt find any with a stock I like and most didnt have a hand guard that I liked. Are these items proprietary or can I put about any brand accessory with any popular brand AR15 platform? Ill be sure to check out dpms, seeing this brand the more I read on the different forums.
I think most interchanges. One thing to consider is that the upper handle is the sight, so if you want a scope you have to buy a flat top rifle instead of the traditional. Also for a scope you need really high rings because the ar chassis is strait backbone unlike most rifles. All my ars are flat top with scope high, and a red dot mounted on the front for quick acquisition of running critters.
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #30
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbcrawler

Going tactical this time for rifle and shot gun eventually. I loved the quad rail, was the only one I handled with it. Hated the stock, on all the guns really. I would have to change that out.
There is really only a collapsible and non-collapsible. I like collapsible for many reasons, but they are loose and military looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.