Somebody school me on the AR-15 rifle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Somebody school me on the AR-15 rifle

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Somebody school me on the AR-15 rifle

Hello, I need to get a better understanding of the AR-15. I am more of a hand gun kinda guy and Im a little familiar with traditional hunting rifles and shot guns. Ive had an interest in a tactical rifle for some time for Target/ defense and I figure now is a good time to get one. So educate me some body.
What is the purpose of buying the lower mechanism separate from the rest of the gun (i see this done a lot) ? A brand you would recommend under $1,500?
Any thing else a total AR noob should know? thanks

Unread 11-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most people that buy a lower separately do so so that they can build their gun exactly how they want it, and it normally ends up being cheaper as well. Sorta like piecing together a lift instead of buying a kit... as for a good rifle, the Sig M400 is beautiful and shoots great. I bought mine from Academy Sports for $1118 after tax and love it. You can't go wrong there.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

so if I wanted to build my own what steps would I take? how does one match a lower with an upper or will any AR upper fit the lower? thanks for your reply
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like to be able to build stuff how I want so I buy stripped lowers and uppers and put everything together with the parts i want. Plus they are super easy and fun to build. Pretty much any lower works with any upper. They are all the same except for billet ones which are really sweet.

Here's a really lacking list of the steps I do:
Stripped lower of your choice
Lower parts kit
Stock
Stripped upper of your choice
barrel
rail
gas tube, buffer, spring, blah blah blah

You can either start from scratch or get some built uppers or just buy a complete gun, but it is way more fun to build your own. I suggest you go to a gun show, buy a lower and check out some of the other guns to see what you want.
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi
I like to be able to build stuff how I want so I buy stripped lowers and uppers and put everything together with the parts i want. Plus they are super easy and fun to build. Pretty much any lower works with any upper. They are all the same except for billet ones which are really sweet.

Here's a really lacking list of the steps I do:
Stripped lower of your choice
Lower parts kit
Stock
Stripped upper of your choice
barrel
rail
gas tube, buffer, spring, blah blah blah

You can either start from scratch or get some built uppers or just buy a complete gun, but it is way more fun to build your own. I suggest you go to a gun show, buy a lower and check out some of the other guns to see what you want.
building my own appeals to me for all the reasons you mentioned. is there much difference between lowers. what features should I look for. any good websites for the AR noob?
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbcrawler View Post
building my own appeals to me for all the reasons you mentioned. is there much difference between lowers. what features should I look for. any good websites for the AR noob?
Nah, the lowers are all Milspec just pick whichever one you think is prettiest. I don't really go on there but i believe ar15.com is a good forum.
Moabrubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi

Nah, the lowers are all Milspec just pick whichever one you think is prettiest. I don't really go on there but i believe ar15.com is a good forum.
thanks. any brand recommendation for parts?
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here’s my schooling advice; try some dedicated AR forums and you’ll learn way more than you ever thought possible about the ARs.
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
That1guy
2007 WK 

I really want an AR. Whats a good off the shelf starter?
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy
I really want an AR. Whats a good off the shelf starter?
Look up the Sig M400 or the Smith and Wesson M&P15. Also, Remington makes a nice AR if you're thinking about using it to hunt with (R15 or R25).
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heres where you need to go. Taught me all I needed to know to build my own.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

The cost of the rifle is not that bad, but by the time you add in optics, mags, cleaning supplies, a case, and ammo be prepared to go over budget. Those black rifles really can be a disease.
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Heres where you need to go. Taught me all I needed to know to build my own.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

The cost of the rifle is not that bad, but by the time you add in optics, mags, cleaning supplies, a case, and ammo be prepared to go over budget. Those black rifles really can be a disease.
Just checked this site out. simply awesome. thanks
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a site on the build process: How to build an AR-15 rifle. This can be simplified by buying a complete upper assembly, and pairing it with a complete lower.

I was considering a AR build but went with the Bushmaster Patrolman's AR-15 instead. Run's for about $1000 or so. Then I dropped another $500 for an EOtech Holographic sight. Dropped a few $$ for extra mags. Cleaning kit. Ammo. Still hankering for a railed hand-guard and foregrip. Just like there are numerous ways to mod a Jeep and drain your bank account, so it goes with AR-15's.

Be forewarned: Black Rifle Disease is an insidious affliction.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Dpms builds one of the tightest ar chassis I had a 308 panther bull and loved it, but it was heavy. I've looked at the huldra simply because its piston operated, aka cleaner and more reliable, but I've never shot one.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

if you'd like an ar style rifle without the high cost of ammo, s&w makes an ar style 22 lr. thats functions just like a larger calibur ar. i use mine as a training tool for myself and daughter becouse its way cheap to shoot and when i need to go to the larger calibur it works the same.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.