some people just don't understand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > some people just don't understand

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

some people just don't understand

well, its time to replace my fuel filter on my 91 xj, it is leakin fumes. all the guys i work with are makin comments about how it stinks. one of the guys asked,"is that the 3.1 liter?" i let it slide, he is a chevy guy , and politely said,"no its the 4.0." the older guy i work with without missing a beat chimed in with," that motor will not last long. i watched my brother go through 2 or 3 of them like its nothing. THEY DON'T LAST!!"

this is how i feel when talking to him

i didn't tell him the motor is 22 years old already and that it already has 217,xxx miles on it, but when i tried to tell him the normal is around 300,000 to 400,000 he wouldn't listen.

oh well, i guess it truly is a jeep thing to look at a odometer with over 200,000 miles and say,"its still got plenty of life left". he just didn't understand.

Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Every 4.0L I've encountered has crapped out around 200k miles.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Why does their opinion matter? I couldn't care less about what some knuckleheads have to say about my heaps. I like them and that is all that matters. Three out of five 4.0's have over 200k and still run strong.

Tell them how used up their girlfriend/wives are, that will change the subject. 8^)
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyXJ View Post
Why does their opinion matter? I couldn't care less about what some knuckleheads have to say about my heaps. I like them and that is all that matters. Three out of five 4.0's have over 200k and still run strong.

Tell them how used up their girlfriend/wives are, that will change the subject. 8^)
i would, but as i said, he is older, as in i graduated with his youngest. i just thought it was funny he was convinced they don't last
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

I was just kidding, it is usually best to ignore my advise.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyXJ View Post
I was just kidding, it is usually best to ignore my advise.
So that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time...

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
Every 4.0L I've encountered has crapped out around 200k miles.
My brother has 2 Cherokees, an '87 and an '88. Both 4.0L's have over 300k miles and are still running strong.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any engine will crap out early if you don't take care of it. Even well designed and built engines.

I watched my brother trash two engines - blew the head gaskets because he never did any maintenance on them.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

it s like everyone but him knows what is goin on sometimes.
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

on a related note, my mom, who is currently driving my 95 xj, called to let me know that the jeep will not start. it is more then likely the battery. her question was,"It never acted like it was having any problems, is that normal?" It's a jeep thing, now she understands.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On an unrelated note, I need to go refill my jug of alkaline water.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I know that feeling when someone makes a remark about your XJ stinking of gas, I've had it happen to me. Some people just don't get the mystery that is a Jeep. Almost all of my Mothers friends cringe when I tell them the mileage I have on my XJ. They all make a remark about it saying that it isn't going to last much longer. Case and point was when I had my XJ shipped from California to Rhode Island and they asked me how many miles it had on it and I went, "Oh it only has 250,000 on it at the moment." I was smiling when I was telling them all I was going to do and one of them said to me, "Did you drop acid this morning? Why in the WORLD are you shipping a Jeep with 250,000 miles on it?" They just don't get the whole Jeep thing because they don't drive Jeeps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-xj-se-1513890/
TABonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABonifacio View Post
I know that feeling when someone makes a remark about your XJ stinking of gas, I've had it happen to me. Some people just don't get the mystery that is a Jeep. Almost all of my Mothers friends cringe when I tell them the mileage I have on my XJ. They all make a remark about it saying that it isn't going to last much longer. Case and point was when I had my XJ shipped from California to Rhode Island and they asked me how many miles it had on it and I went, "Oh it only has 250,000 on it at the moment." I was smiling when I was telling them all I was going to do and one of them said to me, "Did you drop acid this morning? Why in the WORLD are you shipping a Jeep with 250,000 miles on it?" They just don't get the whole Jeep thing because they don't drive Jeeps.
Well a lot of times people.fail to understand that Jeepin, or off roading in general is a hobby more or less. A lot of times, people see it as a mode of transportation, and not a toy like we see it. They don't quite get that it's a grown man's toy basically. I've noticed also that a lot of times, the very same people don't have a hobby themselves, so not only do they not understand the Jeep thing, they don't understand the hobby thing either.

Many a time I've conversed with older people of a certain ethnicity I'm half of, and they're always saying "Why don't you just buy a new Jeep? Or better yet, why not a BMW or Merceds-Benz?". For 20k I can build a YJ that will handle the Rubicon, Moab, and a good portion of Johnson Valley pretty easily. Or for what, 43k? I can have a JK Rubi that won't be as capable, depending on who you're talking to, and I won't want to take nearly as many places because of how new it is, and it's still being paid off.

That'd kinda be like taking a 2013 Challenger SRT8 to the track and going balls out. Something is bound to happen, and when it does.... $$$$$$$.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.