Sold a boat and having issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Sold a boat and having issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sold a boat and having issues

Ok about 4 years ago I put a boat and trailer in my name for my uncle( it's a long story as to why but I did). Anyway time goes by it just sits at my uncles house unused he took it out once. About a month ago he traded it for a car trailer that my uncle put in his name and he took the boat to the old mans house. My uncle has been using the car trailer and all is good on that part. The guy that now has my boat never got the title transferred. He didn't have the money that week. After I learned about the trade a day or two later I told my uncle I wanted the boat out of name within a week. Well the guy hasn't gotten back to him and that was 3 weeks ago. My uncle has been trying to contact him and getting either excuses or no response. Well I'm now planning to go take the boat back Sunday unless he transfers it tomorrow by some miracle. I'm just looking to see if I'm being unreasonable, which I feel I've been more then generous and stupid. My main fear is the guy taking the boat out and getting hurt or someone else getting hurt and then I get sued of fined whatever. If it was at my uncles and the guy never picked it up after the trade I wouldn't have cared if it sat there and rooted to pieces. But I don't know this guy and I have no reason to trust him.

90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
TexanTJ
Unregisterd User

2014 JK Wrangler 

Not sure if PA has this, but in Texas, you can file a notice with the state that "you have sold or disposed of a vehicle". Usually this is wise so toll violations and parking tickets don't get sent to the previous owner. Perhaps PA has something similar.

Or you and your uncle go to a bank, draft a bill or sale on the boat, and have it notorized. Then you can just hang onto it for your records.

Lastly, if you do choose to go repossess your property (since that's really what it is), I would call the non emergency police line and ask that an officer accompany you as a "courtesy standby"
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming new owner has a receipt or bill of sale, your removing his boat from his premises could likely be interpreted as theft.
It seems possible you could be taking this a bit too seriously. Here in the great midwest, all I need to do is go online to the local BMV website to document a vehicle as sold and remove it from my name.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

In pa you must transfer the title at a notary. The notary sends the old title to Harrisburg and a new title is issued by the state to the buyer then mailed to them. If it's not transferred into his name it is still my boat and seeing how I still have titles here at my house the boat is still legal mine and it's my responsibility. Even if I signed the back of the title and gave them to him it's still my boat. if this guy takes it out and dumps it in a lake I'll get the fine cause it's in my name. If he wrecks it's in my name so I'll be the one getting sued. Until it's signed over to him threw a notary in the eyes of the state it is 110% mine
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 05-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

How did you expect him to transfer the title when you still have it? The sale or trade was invalid if not handled properly and at the least if you expect to take the boat back then the other guy gets his trailer back too. Using the logic of still owning the boat and getting it back does not work and if it did you would be seeing a lot of fraudulent sales. That's like me selling/trading my buddies Jeep and then a month later he goes back and get its ( we both win right? ). I think you might be setting your uncle up on a possible theft charge or something?

There is probably a simple process if you check with the PA Fish and Boat Commission. I know most states have a form or process for a notice of transfer and release of liability.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Dude did you even read what I typed. The buyer won't meet me to do the transfer. I can't just give him the title and let him go on his way, I have to transfer it threw the state and the guy do it. You can't do a title transfer online or over the phone. Both parties have to do it in the presence of a notary. Right no that boat has my plate on the trailer and the boat registration is in my name. Who the **** do you think that is gonna come back on if something happens, not the ****ing buyer cause it's not ****ing registered to him he has no ties to the god dam thing.
Unread 05-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I gonna take the boat back tomorrow, he's ignoring calls and won't meet me. I'll park the boat at my parents house. Then he can't take his time getting the trailer transferred I don't care then. Once I sign it over to him at the notary he can have it I'm not taking it back to resell. But I'm not leaving him have it and get me fined or worse till its out of my name. After that idc what he does with it.
Unread 05-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Hey, calm down my comment was about when the transfer took place. Are trailers different or titled too, how did your uncle transfer the trailer to his name? I Yes the guy should not have completed the deal without the title and doing it properly, but your uncle should not have completed the transaction either. Basically your uncle traded a stolen boat, or one that was not his if that sounds better. I think the other guy might have a leg to stand on to have your uncle charged with a crime and attempt to get his trailer back.

How are you going to take the boat back, is it parked in a public place or private property? Have you spoke with a sheriff or anyone about repossession or if this falls under repossession procedures?
Unread 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

The guy transferred the car trailer to my uncle that's all done. The boat title and boat trailer title are in my name. The guy didn't have the money supposedly for the transfer fees which would be $200+ for new plates and registration and all that crap. He was supposed to do it the following week end but never did anything after that. So he could be out using the boat under my name. It's like selling your jeep the guy pays you and leaves withe you plate and everything.
Unread 05-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I agree with Austin, repo the boat/ trailer with the intent of forcing him to transfer to his name. Let him take possession when the papers are in his name.
If the guy that has the boat, now, takes it out and sinks it, Austin will be liable for recovery fees and such because he is the legal owner.
Unread 05-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
. Both parties have to do it in the presence of a notary. .
Actually, if you read the PADMV page, it says nothing about both parties having to be there at the same time. A signed Title that is notarized will keep you out of legal trouble should any of your aforementioned scenarios suddenly happen.

Locating the title.
Correctly listing the buyer's name and address on the reverse side of the title.
Accurately filling in the odometer reading.
Printing and signing your name on the title before a notary public.
Removing the license plate (you can keep it or give it to PennDOT).
Handing over the title to the buyer, who will complete the process by following the steps mentioned below.

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/title-transfers.php
Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

By handing over the title signed by me to the buyer would be illegal since that is an open title. So it would need to stay at a notary till he has the money which they won't do. also to get my plate back I need to go to his house. But the guy won't answer calls so I can't do much can I?
Unread 05-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Are you going to trespass his property to take the boat? I am just wondering if you have legal access to enter his property for the repossession? .
Unread Yesterday, 05:38 AM   #14
101gargoyles

So to make the story short. 4 years ago someone put a boat for someone else in THEIR name because something shady was going on?
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ? What's that old story about reaping that which ye sow?
All in all good luck to all involved. Hope no one ends up hurt or in jail over it!
101gargoyles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #15
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
So to make the story short. 4 years ago someone put a boat for someone else in THEIR name because something shady was going on? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ? What's that old story about reaping that which ye sow? All in all good luck to all involved. Hope no one ends up hurt or in jail over it!
Why does it he to be something shady? I put my brothers 6 seater Ranger in my name. He pays me every month and I make the payments. He didn't have sufficient credit to obtain it but makes a good living to afford it.
MIjeep86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.