So question on ppl who use plexi instead of glass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So question on ppl who use plexi instead of glass

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
androp

So question on ppl who use plexi instead of glass

I have a 91 jeep wrangler and the hardtop the glass broke on it. I plan on switching to plexi but someone said lenx or acrylic is better. But idk how to go about that or what dimensions or size I should get . Any thoughts?

androp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by androp View Post
I have a 91 jeep wrangler and the hardtop the glass broke on it. I plan on switching to plexi but someone said lenx or acrylic is better. But idk how to go about that or what dimensions or size I should get . Any thoughts?
I may not have a direct answer to your question, but Ill offer some thoughts. My 46' willys 2a had the original split windshield (WS) for 60 yrs till I carelessly broke both panes (dumb move). I plan to rebuild and paint the WS frame correctly, but for now, I put in some .25 hardware store plexi. I have a custom shift boot bezel made of 1" thick ballistic lexan type stuff also. If you live in a cold climate, DO NOT scrape your plexi or whatever with an ice scraper else youll have scratches everywhere. Obvious, right? Do not use ammonia based cleaners to clean any clear plastic else it will turn amber colored. use a mild cleaner. I like to use a wood router or roto-zip to cut and shape the plastic. Just be careful to take your time, these tools will run right through that plastic before you realize what just happened. Go thick as you can and still maintain a good fit in the seals around opening. Also, wax and buff them to help with solar damage, prevent miner scrapes and mud from sticking.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go with lexan instead- you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. Plexiglass turns colors and gets brittle too easily when used outdoors.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't use plexiglass it is breakable use lexan it is unbreakable. Race cars use lexan not plexi.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Don't use plexiglass it is breakable use lexan it is unbreakable. Race cars use lexan not plexi.
Lexan does break but takes a lot of force. I would use lexan if you can afford it.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.