So the novelty is kind of wearing off... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #91
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I justify it because I regularly drive my motorcycles 9 months out of the year, while only driving the Jeeps for rainy days and during daylight standard time.

mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #92
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

i dont look at my jeeps as a vehicle i look at them more as a hobby, and i put alot of money into both of them but to me driving through a tank of gas is like some one else going bowling or fishing or anything like that, the only diference is i end up getting somewhere i needed to be anyways. when i get into my '65 i just smile the whole time and then when i get somewhere i just have to turn around and look at her and my friends get pissed when i talk about her like shes my gf. and my new jeep has been getting 14 mpg (2020 rubicon) but to me thats the joy, when i had my honda i didnt think twice about driving, didnt enjoy it, didnt go out of my way.
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #93
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Buying anything new is really a bad investment. The only time you may come out ahead is buying a end of the model run vehicle for a closeout price. Even buying used from a dealer is a bad deal unless you can really haggle with the to a reasonable price.

New vehicles are horribly expensive to own and loose value quickly. The only large, expensive purchase that doesn't do this (usually) is a house. That being said, I don't think taking a loan out to buy a vehicle is necessarily a bad decision. If you get a good rate, sure you pay a little more due to interest, but many people, like myself, prefer to have cash on hand if it's ever needed. Up to now, the only debt I carry is a few g's in school loans that I intend to pay off by the time I graduate. I do plan on taking a loan out to buy a daily driver car, like a CTS-V (or diesel JK) near the completion of college though.

That being said, vehicle needs depend on what you do. I drive 10 minutes or less to work and 10 or less to class. So my ZJ makes a pretty good commuter vehicle - gets reasonable mileage for what it is and it's still worth having for occasional towing of trailers and long trips or having extra passengers. Best of all, for what I paid for it 60k miles/5 years ago, I could still get out of it today! Maint on it costs next to nothing and is all easy to do - all I do is fill it up about 3 times a month or so and do routine maint.

My CJ was an impulse buy, but it was the right price and I knew I could do anything I needed to do to get it running. I don't know what mpg it gets, but i'm sure it's on par with my ZJ, if not even a little bit better. It'll make a decent off road vehicle and fun toy for the summer. I put a tank or so of gas in it a month, maybe 2 (cut out one on the ZJ then) and i've got very very little invested into it so it's a great buy. Parts and stuff are also dirt cheap.

The next purchase will be a bike, hopefully at the end of spring, to save some money on gas. I figure if I buy it now, and keep it for at least 2-3 years, the gas savings will pay for itself. Then either ditch the ZJ I have now to build a Long Arm one, or Long Arm another WJ/ZJ to wheel. By the time I finish college, I'll probably be needing to buy a DD car (CTS-V :drool ) or find a diesel JK if they ever make them...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #94
gecko5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HevinDester View Post
Being 18, all I know is that my dad got sick and tired of making car payments and practically threw a party when he payed off our 03 Yukon XL. Same deal when when he payed off the Porsche. So I'm gonna take the route of trying as hard as I can to try and pay cash for all my vehicles.
Dude... an LJ RUBI on LAs and 35s is MY ideal vehicle...idk about you But I get your point. I'd loveee to have my dream Porsche. But it'll be a tough decision between a Porsche and a Jeep.
This post is soo funny and appropriate on this thread for so many different reasons

Ohhh Grasshopper, I do hope you recognize the error of your ways as you age.
gecko5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.