So the novelty is kind of wearing off... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #76
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Ill just say that i agree with others on here, buying something new will always wear off after time...

I just live by the philosophy if i want it bad enough i can save money to buy it....by the time that happens i know if it is really worth it too me.

However a house is the only case where i can understand making payments for years. I still have the dream of buying my first house straight up. obviously not a 200k house; but why would i need one that big anyway?

~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #77
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I love my Jeep and I bought it used from a guy who was selling it because he rarely drove it. Granted I was in high school when I got it, but I saved up my money and paid for it in full. This is just me, and still being in college, but I don't think I'd ever buy a car unless I could pay for it all at once, even if it is several years old. One thing that bugs me is when someone buys a new car and within 3 months it's beat up and they've run it into the ground so fast it's constantly needing repairs. I'm not saying anyone on here doesn't but I take really good care of my Jeep because I want that thing to last as long as I do, as well as most vehicles I may own in the future. And something about putting my blood and sweat into a vehicle I paid cash for from the first day I own it to me is more worth it than buying one new and having a hard time trying to make the payments on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #78
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy smart and you can actually make money on vehicles believe it or not. I have plenty of experience in it, probably more than most people who are twice my age. I'm 20 years old and I've had 15 cars/trucks, 2 ATVs, a motorcycle, and a boat. I would estimate I've probably made a total of around $5,000 buying and selling vehicles. Buy smart, shop around for cheap insurance rates, seek out other means of financing rather than a car loan. A personal loan does not require you to have full coverage insurance where an auto loan does. That will save you (or atleast it saved me) close to $1500 a year on it's own.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #79
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

After seeing some replies I don't feel so bad about my $303/month payment. I feel bad paying the $346 in taxes this year. I thought I did pretty well though, Jeep was worth more than I paid, is currently worth more than I owe, and I don't care to have some debt if is on something I really want. If it were something I did not like it would be harder to justify. If I had never had debt I would have not been able to finish college, and would be driving an 86 Nova that by now would be as good as a bicycle (you can only polish a turd for so long).

OP if you are not happy with it, it is probably best to get rid of it. But how long after you get that Ranger will you be wanting something different?
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #80
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzroth View Post
A personal loan does not require you to have full coverage insurance where an auto loan does. That will save you (or atleast it saved me) close to $1500 a year on it's own.
And what do you suppose happens when some idiot w/no insurance runs a red, totals your ride that you only have liability on? You are then left with a personal loan for something that has little worth. Doesn't sound like a great plan to me. I don't mean to dog you, and your methods, I just wonder how well thought out some parts may be.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #81
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have always carried Liability only on my trucks that were paid off... till I got TN Farm Bureau last year... now I keep full coverage on the XJ and the G35 just "in case"... I'd rather get something than nothing, and it is only about $20 a month more for full onthe XJ.
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #82
yellowjesus
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Gr8_Outdoorsman;8732949]I went through the same feeling with my first Jeep... A 91 YJ Islander.... I sold it thinking that I wouldn't use it when I bought my house.... I regretted it the second I saw it drive away.
QUOTE]

That is the one thing that i would fear the most. If i had to watch someone drive away with my dream jeeep because it was alitttle more than i wanted to pay, i would cry for days.
I was inbetween on getting a sportier car or my jeep, everyone has a car,but not everyone has a badass jeep
yellowjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #83
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is broken enough that it cost me almost nothing to drive it...

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #84
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I was younger I never had a car payment as I would just buy cheap cars that I could then fix and drive for a while and usually sell for more than I put into them. This worked well for a long time and as I got older, my cars got nicer. Later I did take on payments for one used car, and finally one new car. I got used to payments, but decided last year, that I would never buy anything on credit except for real estate, or related to a business.

Life is a lot simpler if you live within your means, whatever that means to you. If you have paid for cars, a small mortgage, and no other debt it is a lot easier to take a chance with a new job, start a business, etc.

For an employer the best employee is one that has huge car payments and debt, they are stuck on the treadmill and can never get off. They can't risk another job or time off since they are stuck servicing their debt.
1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
SeattleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #85
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
And what do you suppose happens when some idiot w/no insurance runs a red, totals your ride that you only have liability on? You are then left with a personal loan for something that has little worth. Doesn't sound like a great plan to me. I don't mean to dog you, and your methods, I just wonder how well thought out some parts may be.
You would continue to pay on a loan of a totaled vehicle... or a vehicle that needs massive repairs.
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #86
mithuth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
Has anyone had second thoughts about buying their Jeep?

I have owned my '07 unlimited x for 3 years now and love the Jeep but is it worth it financially?

I am paying $300/mo for car payment, $150/mo for insurance(chicago sucks), $200/mo on gas. Seriously $650 a month just to drive this heep????
I also have 45,000 mi and will need tires, brakes and who knows what else soon and I still owe $14,000.

How do everyone else justify the ridiculous cost of owning a new Jeep?

I am seriously considering buying a fuel efficient light truck, like a 4 cyl ford ranger just to be more practical.

I know it's blasphemy saying something like this on Jeep forum but I could use the advice.
To get over this feeling, start your day with a nice warm shower. Get a soapy wash cloth, and get that F'n sand out of your vag. Suck it up buttercup, you can't take that POS ranger half the places you can your Jeep, so knock off the wussy talk and get out there and wheel.

I'm just playin. If I lived in a city, a Jeep would not be on my to-drive list. I'd have a little commuter box with dents and dings in it. But I don't. I live where I can use my Jeep and enjoy the comforts of driving off the pavement at a moment's notice, and see some nature any time I wish.
mithuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #87
jocww

I pretend I have a car payment all the time no matter what half my check goes to savings if not more. then the other half a half of that goes to play money and the other half for bills. But what do I know Im only 24 with a ton of toys. Fortunately my parents both loved cars as well.

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #88
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdywglr4x4 View Post
You would continue to pay on a loan of a totaled vehicle... or a vehicle that needs massive repairs.
Sure you would.......... If you didn't your credit score would take a major hit and you would really be screwed.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #89
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you do not love the jeep sell it, but you will regret it if you do,
i have a 95 yj paid for , 84 oldsmobile delta 88 gave to by family, 01 ford explorer wife drives, 05 honda civic great on gas but hard on my back, and of all of these i would i perfer to drive my jeep even with the trans messing up
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #90
shelli1571
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is 13 years old now. I wouldn't dream of paying for one new but that is just me. I saved up and got mine with cash. I only pay around $60 a month for full coverage insurance. It is not great on gas but I only drive it twice a week to work (around 70 miles roundtrip) and on weekends. On other days I drive my car and it gets double the gas mileage my jeep does.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.