So the novelty is kind of wearing off... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #46
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJinNOLA View Post
You must have like a 10% rate on your mortgage, time to refinance.

In all things (car, house, clothes, whatever) be sensible and buy what you can afford. I bought a beater for $1,700 and drove it for 3 years while saving for the Jeep that I paid cash for. And I sold the beater for $700.
No I dont
$100,000 house with a $1000 month payment = $360,000 over 30 years
$100,000 house with a $800 month payment = $288,000 over 30 years
$100,000 house with a $600 month payment = $216,000 over 30 years

of course thats everything included

And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #47
bobjp

I feel somewhat comforted everytime someone complains about their car payment. I used to feel sorry for them, but now I don't. Making a car payment is dumb. Buying a new car is dumb. But I won't complain because these idiotic mistakes make things more ideal for myself. These mistakes give me a job, and when they buy a new car to satisfy their insatiable, vapid desire to be like everyone else I'll just buy their old car for half price. Suckers.

A certain peace comes with this social and financial security.

Last edited by bobjp; 01-21-2010 at 10:48 AM..
bobjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #48
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I feel somewhat comforted everytime someone complains about their car payment. I used to feel sorry for them, but now I don't. Making a car payment is dumb. Buying a new car is dumb. But I won't complain because these idiotic mistakes makes things more ideal for myself. These mistakes give me a job, and when they buy a new car to satisfy their insatiable, vapid desire to be like everyone else I'll just buy their old car for half price. Suckers.

It is the social insecurity that drives this type of behavior. Having to have a 'nice' car to go to school. Needing to have a 'big' house for you and your wife. Renting a 'luxury' apartment. All of this so people have this assumed assessment of you without really knowing. This is what drives the good old USA for the most part. Worrying that your friend will come over and you only have a 32" TV. Worrying what others think of you as you commute to college in a 92 Civic hatchback. Worrying what people think of you because you bought a ranch house instead of the McMansion with 4 unused bedrooms in the gold community.

Just sad.
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #49
bobjp

Quote:
It is the social insecurity that drives this type of behavior. Having to have a 'nice' car to go to school. Needing to have a 'big' house for you and your wife. Renting a 'luxury' apartment. All of this so people have this assumed assessment of you without really knowing. This is what drives the good old USA for the most part. Worrying that your friend will come over and you only have a 32" TV. Worrying what others think of you as you commute to college in a 92 Civic hatchback. Worrying what people think of you because you bought a ranch house instead of the McMansion with 4 unused bedrooms in the gold community.

Just sad.
True. But like I said, I try not to complain too much because my lifestyle is dependant on other's financial mistakes. Indirectly. I often wonder what the world would be like if everyone spent their money like I do. The economy would fall apart. We would go into a depression. There would be no jobs because noone would buy useless **** anymore. And in any rare instance that someone did buy some useless ****, they sure as hell wouldn't pay full price for it.
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #50
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I didn't expect to get such great advice like this, thanks guys! I have time to mull over my decision, probably wait till spring to decide.

To everyone else....

I only started this thread to talk about what others think about paying so much for their Jeeps.

I am an engineer and make good money and in my mind it just seems like too much money for a car, thats all. I don't need people telling me I'm stupid blah blah and shouldn't have financed and bought something I can't afford. Everyone's a critic on the internet and you live and you learn.
Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #51
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildRookie View Post
Just my opinion, but i am in the automotive industry
Ya, so I guess I'm not doing much worse than anyone else with a new car. Just a bad financial decision all around to buy a new car.
Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #52
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
Ya, so I guess I'm not doing much worse than anyone else with a new car. Just a bad financial decision all around to buy a new car.
I think you just hit the nail on the head!
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #53
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, I didn't expect to get such great advice like this, thanks guys! I have time to mull over my decision, probably wait till spring to decide.

To everyone else....

I only started this thread to talk about what others think about paying so much for their Jeeps.

I am an engineer and make good money and in my mind it just seems like too much money for a car, thats all. I don't need people telling me I'm stupid blah blah and shouldn't have financed and bought something I can't afford. Everyone's a critic on the internet and you live and you learn.
If you do decide to go with something else, just do alot of research. Cost of vehicle ownership either new or used depends on the vehicle. My buddy bought a Infiniti G35 Coupe new, had to get the tires replaced after 15,000 miles because the front and rear tires are different sizes and all the tires are directional, which means you cant rotate them. Stupid isnt it, but vehicles with sport suspensions these days are usually set up like that. Even the new Camaro SS's

Research, Research, Research is the best advice I can give.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #54
SeniorVerde
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I too feel comforted when I hear whining about payments.

I am 30 and I think I'm on car # 49 or 50. I've never made a payment and never wasted my time or money on a dealership and their markup %. You learn, you make mistakes, sure. But I'd rather gain the knowledge of what to fix than just fling out dollars for nothing but that new car smell and a few people going "ooh".
I will always let the other guy take the hit and that rapid 3-year depreciation off the top of the MSRP for me.

It's like the food chain, really. You have the bottom feeders, the plankton; they buy the new stuff, then there's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th owners, eventually you get to the bears, wolves, man?... the predators. I'm not sure where I sit, hopefully somewhere above the part where the cycle repeats and the parasites devour the carcass. But then, I've been the last owner of many luxury cars and large, older SUV's. So uh, yeah. Either I'm a parasite or top of the food chain.
But never plankton.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #55
battelax
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is funny that you mention a ranger or compact pickup. I traded my Ram 2500 diesel for my wrangler to a guy straight up. It was a great deal that was even on both ends.

I thought I would love the jeep and embrace the "jeep lifestyle" but as a commuter vehicle it was terrible. The mileage was awful and it felt downright dangerous at 65-70 mph. I had another car as a daily beater and after a while my jeep just sat for weeks at a time.

I felt like it was too nice to destroy in the woods and you couldn't comfortable fit anyone in the backseats . I couldn't haul anything and couldn't fit my bike or surfboards inside the vehicle. Over time it became more so useless to me so I ended up selling it. I just bought a little pickup and couldnt be happier. I know in the future when I am more established and have more of an income I will certainly get another Jeep.

If you can afford the novelty then hang onto it. However with a truck as common as a ranger you can certainly find some good deals out there and have a better DD.

Last edited by battelax; 01-21-2010 at 11:13 AM..
battelax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #56
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
True. But like I said, I try not to complain too much because my lifestyle is dependant on other's financial mistakes. Indirectly. I often wonder what the world would be like if everyone spent their money like I do. The economy would fall apart. We would go into a depression. There would be no jobs because noone would buy useless **** anymore. And in any rare instance that someone did buy some useless ****, they sure as hell wouldn't pay full price for it.
Agreed. It drives America.

Quote:

To everyone else....

What I was saying was not a direct attack for what you did. My opinion is to not pick up a payment and if you are you need to know without a shadow of a doubt it is 110% what you want. EXACTLY what you want. If not you will eventually get to this point and go '300 for car, 200 for insurance, gas and then maintenance and damnit I don't enjoy the car that much'.

It has happened before to friends and family.
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #57
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I feel somewhat comforted everytime someone complains about their car payment. I used to feel sorry for them, but now I don't. Making a car payment is dumb. Buying a new car is dumb. But I won't complain because these idiotic mistakes make things more ideal for myself. These mistakes give me a job, and when they buy a new car to satisfy their insatiable, vapid desire to be like everyone else I'll just buy their old car for half price. Suckers.

I'm not sure how your attitude of e-superiority is any better than the attitudes of people who buy things to feel better about themselves. As mdywglr4x4 said, it all boils down to insecurity.
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #58
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am running quite the total on my jeep a month and I sometimes I wonder the same as the OP

my rough total ... ~ $1000 bucks a month ... do you know what kind of vehicle I could be driving for that much a month! I should have maybe waited on the lift but then why get the jeep in the first place?

It's sad when I look back now and realize I could have gotten a Vette, G35, or any of my other "ideal" vehicles and be paying less a month.

oh well - my philosophy is that I will always have this thing and that's worth the money that I'm shelling out now

thank god i have a job!

'81 cj-5 - being restored w/ dad - keeping the 151
orange_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #59
Jake03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess that I'm one of the few ppl whothinks that $650 is cheap considering I pay $675 for a truck payment then $212 for insurance, and $150-$200 for diesel a month.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #60
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Being 18, all I know is that my dad got sick and tired of making car payments and practically threw a party when he payed off our 03 Yukon XL. Same deal when when he payed off the Porsche. So I'm gonna take the route of trying as hard as I can to try and pay cash for all my vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_rubi View Post
I am running quite the total on my jeep a month and I sometimes I wonder the same as the OP

my rough total ... ~ $1000 bucks a month ... do you know what kind of vehicle I could be driving for that much a month! I should have maybe waited on the lift but then why get the jeep in the first place?

It's sad when I look back now and realize I could have gotten a Vette, G35, or any of my other "ideal" vehicles and be paying less a month.

oh well - my philosophy is that I will always have this thing and that's worth the money that I'm shelling out now

thank god i have a job!
Dude... an LJ RUBI on LAs and 35s is MY ideal vehicle...idk about you But I get your point. I'd loveee to have my dream Porsche. But it'll be a tough decision between a Porsche and a Jeep.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.