So the novelty is kind of wearing off... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxManClay View Post
What I'm wondering is why you would even get something and not have the money to pay it off IMMEDIATELY. Sure, I can see making payments on a house, but thats a house. On a car though?

Here is an idea. Next time you buy something make sure you actually have the money to buy it right then and there, not three years into the future.
Yes, that's the right way to go about doing things, but the reality is that most people finance cars these days because it's difficult and inconvenient to front that kind of money.

JPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
I'm pretty sure there are 200 million other people that make car payments, whether its smart or not, people do it.
Last time I checked, you always pay a lot in interest when you have car payments, so you end up paying a lot more than what you originally planned to.

But what do I know. I'm only 22, in college, with no money. I figure if I wanted to get a nicer Jeep when I'm older with a job, I might make payments? Thats a big might though, considering I always here stories like this one about not being able to make payments later on in life.
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaloholic View Post
How do everyone else justify the ridiculous cost of owning a new Jeep?

I sold the more expensive one and got a YJ, paid in full. No more payments and don't have to have full coverage insurance.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
Mino
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPete View Post
As we speak, I am preparing to sell my TJ. I don't want to, but I do a lot of commuting and I have a 3.5 month old son and it's just not practical. I'm hoping to find a cheap, decent XJ to replace it.
Congrats on your son. I'm guessing that's him as your avatar.

As for the buyer's remorse, nope, none here. I love driving my Jeep. I will admit though, it isn't the most practical vehicle out there. Of course, I knew that when I got it.
3" suspension lift, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects & Front Track Bar, Dynomax Cat-Back system, SYE kit, Pro Comp Rock Crawler Wheels, 33" BF Goodrich A/T, Aussie Locker, and Warn XD9000i winch
Mino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know the feeling. I went and picked up a VW golf for driving to work now. My jeep gets about 20 miles a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I get the feeling of wanting something new every couple of months, and specifically when I see my brother's 02 SS Camaro, or my dad's 03 2500HD, BUT... then I remember, that I have NO payment, full coverage for $80/month, and then I realize that my jeep is perfect!

Plus whenever I feel like that, I go to the shop and do a full, all-out cleanup on it, inside and out, and then I love it again for a few months!
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino View Post
Congrats on your son. I'm guessing that's him as your avatar.
Thanks! Yup, that's Mason.

JPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #23
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I ditched our JK last summer. I thought the 4 door would make it practical for a family/commuter vehicle for the wife. She loved it but in the end it sucked as a commuter vehicle. Horsepower is king on the freeways in south Florida and needless to say the JK was lacking in that dept. Not to mention it got about the same gas milage as my 3/4 ton truck. That said, I do miss the thing now since it's prime topless weather down here now.

I'm going back to just having a Jeep as an extra vehicle that was bought with cash. Something to tinker with but not have to depend on as a daily driver. Now I just have to save the cash and grab one of these nice rust free Florida Jeeps before we get transferred.

OP: I'd suggest trying to hang on to it atleast until Spring time. Might find a impulse buyer when the weather warms up.
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is why if I can't pay cash I don't buy it!
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #25
Gr8_Outdoorsman

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I went through the same feeling with my first Jeep... A 91 YJ Islander.... I sold it thinking that I wouldn't use it when I bought my house.... I regretted it the second I saw it drive away.

It took me a few years, but I finally got back in one and vowed to not get rid of this one.

For me personally, it is the fun factor of driving the Jeep. When the weather is right, the top is down, the doors are off and the music is playing that's what owning the Jeep is all about.

Sure, there are faster, more fuel efficient cars/trucks out there, but I haven't owned/driven anything that gives me the same amount of pleasure as the Jeep. Do you think that you will get more enjoyment driving a plane-jane 4 cyl Ranger?

Everyone is different and have differing perspectives, but this was my personal experience!

Good luck with your decision!
Gr8_Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursandal View Post
OP: I'd suggest trying to hang on to it atleast until Spring time. Might find a impulse buyer when the weather warms up.
X2 ... This is a definite.

Every winter, my sister gets all "I just wanna sell my Jeep" (a TJ)...I tell her, just wait until Spring because you'll get those impulse buyers who want toplessness right then.
Of course, about the time the weather goes prime for selling it, it is also prime to drop the top and, BLAMMO!...she is back to liking it again.

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #27
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Outdoorsman View Post
I went through the same feeling with my first Jeep... A 91 YJ Islander.... I sold it thinking that I wouldn't use it when I bought my house.... I regretted it the second I saw it drive away.

It took me a few years, but I finally got back in one and vowed to not get rid of this one.

For me personally, it is the fun factor of driving the Jeep. When the weather is right, the top is down, the doors are off and the music is playing that's what owning the Jeep is all about.

Sure, there are faster, more fuel efficient cars/trucks out there, but I haven't owned/driven anything that gives me the same amount of pleasure as the Jeep. Do you think that you will get more enjoyment driving a plane-jane 4 cyl Ranger?

Everyone is different and have differing perspectives, but this was my personal experience!

Good luck with your decision!
See that is why I am torn. I haven't really had an attachment to any vehicle but this one. This is my 4th car and only new car I have ever owned. My gf loves it and it is tons of fun to take camping and go topless and cruise the lakefront.

and about the ranger of course not! But my wallet would feel happier.
Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #28
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A vehicle is not a good investment. Its a terrible investment if you hate what you drive because you'll likely trade it in on something else sooner than need be.

I don't regret buying my Jeep for one minute, although I have my Harley and Ram to share the load of driving if needed. I bought the Jeep almost six years ago and it only has 45000 miles on it.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Money comes and goes. No matter what you buy, you will be spending money, what's a little more for something you love? You'll get some more next week.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #30
volaredon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a TJ an XJ, and a 27 yo 1983, 3/4 ton Dodge pickup. All paid for. (the 97 XJ is my most recent purchase)

In the beginning with the TJ, I was paying $400/mo. I refinanced 1/2 way thru the term, not for shorter term but lower interest; even with 30 mo left (I'd paid 30 via Toyota Finance) I went to a local bank and refinanced it for the same 30 mo I had left. My payment went down $45/mo just on account of the interest! I bought my TJ (a 97) in 2000, for $15K. By the time it was paid for I had paid about 22K; it would have been closer to $24K had I stayed with the orig. loan. NEVER again. I still like my TJ but since I paid more for it than all the other vehicles I have ever owned in my life combined, I feel that like it or not I am stuck with it til the wheels fall off to get my moneys worth out of it.
The stealer I bought the TJ from (another mistake; I usually buy from private party) was a Pontiac Jeep Toyota dealer; why they put me thru Toyota Finance IDK.
but they screwed me with add ons that I said NO to, but they said "just cancel them within 30 days"; I started trying to do so the 2nd day I had teh Jeep; it took me 6 months to do so and they claimed it would "come off at the end" it never did; I still paid for them. I should have walked away and went elsewhere.

I also shoulda waited a few months (though I never knew it at the time) since they started the 60 months same as cash type program.... which would have made it cheaper to buy a brand new one instead of the 3 year old (at the time) one that I did buy. that was the closest thing to brand new that I ever owned;
and even after 10 years, it is still tied for the newest vehicle I own being a '97.
volaredon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.