So the novelty is kind of wearing off... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

So the novelty is kind of wearing off...

Has anyone had second thoughts about buying their Jeep?

I have owned my '07 unlimited x for 3 years now and love the Jeep but is it worth it financially?

I am paying $300/mo for car payment, $150/mo for insurance(chicago sucks), $200/mo on gas. Seriously $650 a month just to drive this heep????
I also have 45,000 mi and will need tires, brakes and who knows what else soon and I still owe $14,000.

How do everyone else justify the ridiculous cost of owning a new Jeep?

I am seriously considering buying a fuel efficient light truck, like a 4 cyl ford ranger just to be more practical.

I know it's blasphemy saying something like this on Jeep forum but I could use the advice.

Metaloholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have that feeling frequently. Luckily my jeep is old. I used to have a pick up truck from the time I could drive until I got the Jeep.

I didn't realize how much I used it until I didn't have a bed anymore.

My Jeep is going off the road hopefully this year for some serious surgery and I am getting another truck again. It's too hard to keep borrowing my dad's every time I need to move something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
jbrem
2005 WK 

If you can't do it, you can't do it.
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think it is ridiculous. But then again, I think the cost of owning anything nowadays is out of control. Everything costs you a fortune. I don't think I'll even own a new car.......even if I had the money, it would go towards a vehicle.
GreenliftedTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

This always reminds me of the commercial where there's that loud, echoing, boomie voice saying "BUYEEERS REMOOOORSE!!"

Like GreenLiftedTJ97 said,
Quote:
I don't think I'll even own a new car
Been there, done that. I'm WAAAAAAY to fickle to commit to anything longer than 2-3 yrs worth of payments, and even then, I have a hard time signing THAT set of paperwork.

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My second vehicle(or my wife's I should say) is a Honda Fit. We drive that the vast majority of the time. We usually will go through around a tank and a half of gas in the Jeep a month just to keep it running(total cost around $65-$70). If you had a more fuel efficient car that might help offset the jeep some.

I also bought an older model (2002, with 52k miles) which helps with the car payment(mine is $245) and the first thing I did was lift it and got some new tires. I'm hoping the tires will last me awhile and the rest of the other things that come up like breaks, changing the differential/trany fluids I do myself to help offset maintenance cost.

The other thing you could try to do is call around the other insurance companies and see if you can get any better rates. Mine is through Liberty Mutual right now because North Carolina state employees get a group discount. I'm paying around $90 to keep it covered. My total is a little over $400/mo which is expensive, but manageable.

Maybe you could try to get a slightly older jeep in the future. You might a have more maintenance cost in the beginning, but you would be saving money in car payment and ultimately paying less interest over the long run. If I had to do it over again I would have bought an even less expensive/older TJ, primarily becuase I hate wheeling a vehicle I still owe money on, and as a result, I don't wheel that often and don't do anything too extreme.

Good luck and don't give up the dream! Jeeps are awesome vehicles, you just gotta figure out how to make it work!
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

3rd one for me. I will drive nothing else, ever. Although I did know what I was getting into before speind 30 k on a vehicle.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
This always reminds me of the commercial where there's that loud, echoing, boomie voice saying "BUYEEERS REMOOOORSE!!"

Like GreenLiftedTJ97 said,

Been there, done that. I'm WAAAAAAY to fickle to commit to anything longer than 2-3 yrs worth of payments, and even then, I have a hard time signing THAT set of paperwork.

same here, LOL. I thought I was gonna die when I signed the papers for our house. Thought, " oh my god, this is 30 yrs, LOL." But by doubling payments and such, it's almost a done deal after 10 years so.........but on a car
GreenliftedTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much do you want for it????

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchagrins View Post
My second vehicle(or my wife's I should say) is a Honda Fit. We drive that the vast majority of the time. We usually will go through around a tank and a half of gas in the Jeep a month just to keep it running(total cost around $65-$70). If you had a more fuel efficient car that might help offset the jeep some.

I also bought an older model (2002, with 52k miles) which helps with the car payment(mine is $245) and the first thing I did was lift it and got some new tires. I'm hoping the tires will last me awhile and the rest of the other things that come up like breaks, changing the differential/trany fluids I do myself to help offset maintenance cost.

The other thing you could try to do is call around the other insurance companies and see if you can get any better rates. Mine is through Liberty Mutual right now because North Carolina state employees get a group discount. I'm paying around $90 to keep it covered. My total is a little over $400/mo which is expensive, but manageable.

Maybe you could try to get a slightly older jeep in the future. You might a have more maintenance cost in the beginning, but you would be saving money in car payment and ultimately paying less interest over the long run. If I had to do it over again I would have bought an even less expensive/older TJ, primarily becuase I hate wheeling a vehicle I still owe money on, and as a result, I don't wheel that often and don't do anything too extreme.

Good luck and don't give up the dream! Jeeps are awesome vehicles, you just gotta figure out how to make it work!
Good advice my friend. Maybe at this point in my life its just not right.

I keep going over in my head that I could buy a POS car for like 3,000 and if it lasts me a year its still cheaper than what I am paying yearly now.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
How much do you want for it????
If its a serious question, I'd take $16,000
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What I'm wondering is why you would even get something and not have the money to pay it off IMMEDIATELY. Sure, I can see making payments on a house, but thats a house. On a car though?

Here is an idea. Next time you buy something make sure you actually have the money to buy it right then and there, not three years into the future.
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
17topless
2008 JK Wrangler 

OP, dont you know what jeep is? Just Empty Every Pocket
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

As we speak, I am preparing to sell my TJ. I don't want to, but I do a lot of commuting and I have a 3.5 month old son and it's just not practical. I'm hoping to find a cheap, decent XJ to replace it.
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Metaloholic
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxManClay View Post
What I'm wondering is why you would even get something and not have the money to pay it off IMMEDIATELY. Sure, I can see making payments on a house, but thats a house. On a car though?

Here is an idea. Next time you buy something make sure you actually have the money to buy it right then and there, not three years into the future.
I'm pretty sure there are 200 million other people that make car payments, whether its smart or not, people do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.