So, Was I Scammed? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTorak
I've used stock photos before from the internet when I didn't already have a photo handy and didn't feel like digging out my camera. I personally can't tell if this is a scam or not, usually it's faily obvious.

Yeah, the pictures don't bother me at all. People do that all the time.

After speaking to the guy, I'm fairly convinced that I was right -- It's just a guy that fell into some very cheap imacs and he's unloading them on ebay. I don't think he's too concerned about how much he gets out of them because he has very little in them. The crappy ad is because he doesn't know anything about imacs or about ebay, and he had his wife do the listing.

Like I said, it could still be a scam, but I don't think so.

Regardless, he can't withdraw his money from paypal until my "claim" is settled.

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was putting the odds of screwage at about 80% until you said you talked to him, now I'm putting it around 60%. I'm still leaning towards you getting the shaft, but I'm not sure. Most scammers wouldn't be dumb enough to give you their number, they'd get yours and call from a pay phone. So at least you have a means to find this guy if he doesn't pay up. Charlie Wenzel anybody?

Subscribed. Let us know what happens! If you do get shafted, we can always help you out with the manhunt!

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
post #63 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Pay as you go phones have no traces though.

_o o o o_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
[] ---o-[]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycat3
Pay as you go phones have no traces though.
Good call. Do they have voicemail though? Never had one.

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
post #65 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Comanche_

^ yes mine does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
post #66 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoLoco
I was putting the odds of screwage at about 80% until you said you talked to him, now I'm putting it around 60%. I'm still leaning towards you getting the shaft, but I'm not sure. Most scammers wouldn't be dumb enough to give you their number, they'd get yours and call from a pay phone. So at least you have a means to find this guy if he doesn't pay up. Charlie Wenzel anybody?

Subscribed. Let us know what happens! If you do get shafted, we can always help you out with the manhunt!
Yeah, I was at about 80% for screwed too yesterday. After talking to him, I'm down to about 30%. He seemed like a relatively intelligent guy on the phone. I think he's smart enough to make his listing look legit if he were trying to fool someone. And he definitely didn't do that. We'll see if he calls me back today like he said he would.

Check out my

post #67 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

He is probably intelligent enough too to make a listing careless enough to show that he is only trying to get rid of some fictitious items quickly.

I really, really hope that I am wrong and you get your stuff.
Would suck to loose that kinda money.

_o o o o_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
[] ---o-[]

post #68 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycat3
He is probably intelligent enough too to make a listing careless enough to show that he is only trying to get rid of some fictitious items quickly.

I really, really hope that I am wrong and you get your stuff.
Would suck to loose that kinda money.

I've considered that too. Very possible, I suppose. I really don't know. I'm just saying, I have a much better feeling about it than I did before. He's also ebay "ID verified" which is supposed to verify the seller as a real person that is treaceable. I don't know how hard that is to get around, but I think he paid the extra five bucks to get that done because of all the comments he got doubting his ad (I sent a few myself). I also have his phone number, and he can't get his money from paypal. So, I don't think I'm screwed. I might not get two imacs, but I'm pretty sure I'll get my money back if I don't.

Check out my

post #69 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Kevin_G
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really don't think your going to lose your money. eBay is a legit AUCTION site. People are always getting good or unbelivable deals there. When you sign up to sell things on eBay you pretty much sign off that to the best of your knowledge, your item is being represented correctly. CC companies understand this, paypay DOES NOT and they are always screwing their customers who are unfortunate to use debit cards or money directly out of their paypal accounts. If it is shown that the item was not as advertised and you were cheated, then the CC will charge it back. Like I said... Call the CC now, ask then what will happen IF this takes place. Then you will know what to do next.
post #70 of 120 Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Kevin_G
2007 JK Wrangler 

BTW Jeepsarecool... After all this, When you do get your new imacs, I expect to see a ligit photo of both of them side by side taken by YOU! Better yet, set them up on a hood of a Jeep or something, that way when someone else uses it on eBay to sell their computer, we can all have a good laugh! lol
post #71 of 120 Old 02-04-2008, 06:00 PM
POLBOSS

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, we need an update, tracking numbers, man, tracking numbers
post #72 of 120 Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool

1982 CJ7 

Update.......................... I'm shopping around for a good deal on an imac. I haven't heard a word from our beloved imac seller. Called the credit card company, they said just sit tight and see what happens with my "claim" with paypal. Supposedly, he has until the 11th to respond or the case is automatically given to me. I suppose they'll refund my money at that point. It actually hasn't been charged to our card yet. It's just "pending". I think I caught him before he could withdraw the money. Anyway, if paypal doesn't refund my money at that point, we'll just go through with the cc chargeback.

After this is all over, his cell phone number might accidentally get posted all over the interweb. It would be a shame if he was harrassed in his sleep.

Check out my

post #73 of 120 Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Kevin_G
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the update... Still hope things go well for you...
post #74 of 120 Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Update.......................... I'm shopping around for a good deal on an imac. I haven't heard a word from our beloved imac seller. Called the credit card company, they said just sit tight and see what happens with my "claim" with paypal. Supposedly, he has until the 11th to respond or the case is automatically given to me. I suppose they'll refund my money at that point. It actually hasn't been charged to our card yet. It's just "pending". I think I caught him before he could withdraw the money. Anyway, if paypal doesn't refund my money at that point, we'll just go through with the cc chargeback.

After this is all over, his cell phone number might accidentally get posted all over the interweb. It would be a shame if he was harrassed in his sleep.
Here is a good link about some kid who was scamming people and hacking forums. They chewed him up pretty good...

It is worth the read ALL the way through.
http://www.hoodtalk.org/index.php?topic=7470.420
Looks like the thread is down until 2.43 AM Eastern.

Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
Or you could go back to filling your bleeding mouth with tobacco
Black 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic automatic-stock
Red 1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 5 speed-stock
Black Jeep Club member #127
post #75 of 120 Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 PM
mooreandrew5335

2001 XJ Cherokee 

good luck with this man. and if it turns out he is legit, i would be happy to provide a new home for one of those imacs.

subscribed btw

'01 XJ Sport. 4.0 I6 Auto tranny, command trac xfer case 60K miles
Preaty much stock...... =(

"The Jeep 4.0L I6 has been rumored to make a growl so incredible, it will scare supernatural beings"
-Uncyclopedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.