So, Was I Scammed? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Deschain
Registered User
 
Deschain's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Derry, Maine
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
And to top it off, almost all your competing bidders have a rating of 0 to 16. So likely shill bidders to raise the price on the non-existant computer.


And, I was with your wife while you were bidding at 1AM.


*edit*

I also kicked your dog on the way in.
Deschain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool
Registered User
 
jeepsarecool's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by emphacia
And, I was with your wife while you were bidding at 1AM.


*edit*

I also kicked your dog on the way in.

You're all bastards.

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline  
post #33 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Indy
Registered User
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Viera
Posts: 3,454
I kid, I kid...

I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline  
post #34 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand
 
ErikJordan's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 5,088
careful now..

___________________________________________


What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline  
post #35 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Awshux
Cynical Bastard
 
Awshux's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chandler
Posts: 1,900
I'm subscribing to this thread. Please keep us updated as to the outcome, one way or the other. I'd really love for this to turn out well for you; might restore some of my faith in people. I'm not holding my breath, however.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams
Awshux is offline  
post #36 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Keith
Admin
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,291
I hope you paid through PP with a CC else if it's a scam your 100% screwed with no recourse.

As we say in Texas; Lo barato sale caro.

A/S/L me
Keith is offline  
post #37 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Awshux
Cynical Bastard
 
Awshux's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chandler
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
As we say in Texas; Lo barato sale caro.
A burro sells cars?
Liberace likes carob?
The bar is closed?

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams
Awshux is offline  
post #38 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool
Registered User
 
jeepsarecool's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
careful now..

I'm just joking around (the "bastards" comment anyway). I'm about as skeptical about this deal as the rest of you. I have an uncanny ability to talk myself into things that I want to be true though.

And yes, I did pay with a CC through paypal.

Here's some of the replies I got from him yesterday:

I asked him where he got them and why he was trying to "get rid of them" as he put it. And if the auction was really for 2 imacs as it stated and if they were both the same.

His response:

Quote:
they are both identical imacs and they are the newest ones available. a friend of mine closed down his computer business and sold me these imacs at a great price. he purchased them for a small business that never payed him. this auction is for both of them and i just have no need for them. i joined ebay to sell these and buy a car
I asked him why there was a pic of an older mac in the ad.

His response:

Quote:
yea its the new aluminum mac. my wife is the one that posted it and i dont know why i cant take them off now lol. im sorry for the screw up its the silver one the newest of the imacs
I asked him again if it was for 2 computers (I was struggling with this idea in my head) and when he'd ship.

His response:

Quote:
its for 2 new imac computers. i will ship out as soon as i get payment. tomorrow i will ship if payment is made 2nite

I wrote him today asking for a shipping confirmation #

His response

Quote:
..................nothing
Now, I know that definitely looks bad, but if he is indeed in CA, it's only about 1:30pm there and I he could very well be at work. But, if he doesn't reply tonight, I'm going to start methodically hunting him down. I have a bow, a long line of indian ancestry, and a hatred for the forked-tongue white eyes.

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline  
post #39 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
POLBOSS
Registered User
 
POLBOSS's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Duncanville, TX.
Posts: 88
Dude, Seriously what were you thinking? I didn't look at the auction site until a minute ago, the older imac picture is a stock picture, and that is the worst description ever, seriously dude, and then I was thinking that the cost was like 700 bucks but 1700 bucks, come on dude, seriously, you better video tape as you open those boxes if he ever sends you anything, he might send you bricks and give paypal a valid tracking number that shows that certain pounds were shipped, you won't get any iMacs, and I doubt that you will ever get bricks.
POLBOSS is offline  
post #40 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!
 
jneal's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winston Ga.
Posts: 713
paypal will be less than useless if the scammer is smart. The only way you will your money back is a CC charge back. Even that may put a mark on your credit...

If he sends you an empty box via UPS he can tell Paypal he sent it. They will verify the tracking number and wont care what was actually in the box. you lose.

if the scammer takes the money out of his account and paypal decides to favor you in the incident they will try to take what they can from his account and if nothing is there, you lose. They wont put his account negative.

If you file a charge back and paypal cant retrieve the money from the scammer they will put your account negative. If you dont give them the money to bring your account up or you close the account they will send you to collections. you lose


Ask me how I know. yes I've been there done that. Paypal is the biggest scammer on ebay.

Thanks
jneal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twitter.com: jnealgoggins


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew View Post
You have nothing... You are a like a culture of ketchup mold... You are completely useless to everyone in the world!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Hey Rob, can you do me a favor and stop quoting the retard? I have him on my ignore for a reason.:thumbdown:
jneal is offline  
post #41 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool
Registered User
 
jeepsarecool's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBOSS
Dude, Seriously what were you thinking? I didn't look at the auction site until a minute ago, the older imac picture is a stock picture, and that is the worst description ever, seriously dude, and then I was thinking that the cost was like 700 bucks but 1700 bucks, come on dude, seriously, you better video tape as you open those boxes if he ever sends you anything, he might send you bricks and give paypal a valid tracking number that shows that certain pounds were shipped, you won't get any iMacs, and I doubt that you will ever get bricks.
I think he took both of the pictures off of the internet. I don't really think that means anything though. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would have a digital camera. Hell I do have one and I have an ad on craigslist right now that has a stolen stock photo of a hi-lift jack in it.

As far as him not sending anything............ yes I know. BUT, if it IS legit, I just got about $4,500 worth of computers for $1650. Otherwise, I guess I'll be calling Visa.

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.

Last edited by jeepsarecool; 02-01-2008 at 02:54 PM.
jeepsarecool is offline  
post #42 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Boreal
Web Wheeler
 
Boreal's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
I have a bow, a long line of indian ancestry, and a hatred for the forked-tongue white eyes.
Boreal is offline  
post #43 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
POLBOSS
Registered User
 
POLBOSS's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Duncanville, TX.
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
I think he took both of the pictures off of the internet. I don't really think that means anything though. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would have a digital camera. Hell I do have one and I have an ad on craigslist right now that has a stolen stock photo of a hi-lift jack in it.

As far as him not sending anything............ yes I know. BUT, if it IS legit, I just got about $4,500 worth of computers for $1650. Otherwise, I guess I'll be calling Visa.
OK, let's go over some important items,
The card is an actual credit card right? not a debit card with the visa logo, because you don't actually call visa to dispute charges on your card, you call the bank who issued the card. Paying with a debit card with the visa logo on, is like paying with cash.
If is a regular credit card, the issuing bank will give you a temporal loan for the amount that you're disputing, but they still investigate what happened, they paid paypal the amount of the purchase on your behalf, so now is up to paypal to prove that their client did delivered the items, and is on paypal's best interest to prove it, otherwise they will have to cover the amount of the purchase, so this is where the box with bricks come into play, remember we all know that you're a decent guy, but in any case even if you receive the computers you can still make a claim that you received a box with bricks inside, so as long as paypal has some kind of proof that you did receive something on a good day the credit card will believe paypal and not reverse the charges on your card.
POLBOSS is offline  
post #44 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
POLBOSS
Registered User
 
POLBOSS's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Duncanville, TX.
Posts: 88
PayPal Up to $200 in buyer protection

Yep it says that right there under the dude's great feedback.
POLBOSS is offline  
post #45 of 120 Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
jeepsarecool
Registered User
 
jeepsarecool's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBOSS
OK, let's go over some important items,
The card is an actual credit card right? not a debit card with the visa logo, because you don't actually call visa to dispute charges on your card, you call the bank who issued the card. Paying with a debit card with the visa logo on, is like paying with cash.
If is a regular credit card, the issuing bank will give you a temporal loan for the amount that you're disputing, but they still investigate what happened, they paid paypal the amount of the purchase on your behalf, so now is up to paypal to prove that their client did delivered the items, and is on paypal's best interest to prove it, otherwise they will have to cover the amount of the purchase, so this is where the box with bricks come into play, remember we all know that you're a decent guy, but in any case even if you receive the computers you can still make a claim that you received a box with bricks inside, so as long as paypal has some kind of proof that you did receive something on a good day the credit card will believe paypal and not reverse the charges on your card.
Yes, it's an actual credit card. I understand the "box of bricks" theory perfectly well. If I ever do recieve a box, I'll get the UPS man to witness me opening it and take some photos. I think if I'm going to be ripped off, I won't recieve anything at all though. I doubt he'll go through the trouble of shipping a box if he's just going to cancel his paypal account anyway.

I'm still holding out hope that it's not a scam............. please god............

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Well I finally got scammed! SDDAVE General Discussion 32 09-17-2009 07:27 PM
wow..only 48 hrs. and already scammed! grandgirl General Discussion 33 07-15-2009 12:15 PM
I got scammed on Ebay by a JF guy!! kiksroks General Discussion 32 04-08-2008 10:32 PM
Am I being scammed on ebay? mp3coupe General Discussion 9 11-24-2007 05:40 PM
Help me, I got scammed on EBay. NoUse328 General Discussion 43 11-23-2005 05:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome