So how stupid is target? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So how stupid is target?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

So how stupid is target?

After there genius blunder loosing everyone's data they send out an email saying click here for one year free credit report.. Soooo what if thieves take said email and change the embedded link to redirect them to their site to fill out a form for a fake credit protection gathering more information? Every company knows you are not to put clickable links in emails. Rather say to the end user go to target's website and click on the link below for identity protection.

Quote:
Dear Target Guest,
As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data. Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information, including name, mailing address, phone number or email address, was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion.
I am truly sorry this incident occurred and sincerely regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014. Activation codes must be redeemed by April 30, 2014.
In addition, to guard against possible scams, always be cautious about sharing personal information, such as Social Security numbers, passwords, user IDs and financial account information. Here are some tips that will help protect you:
 Never share information with anyone over the phone, email or text, even if they claim to be someone you know or do business with. Instead, ask for a call-back number.
 Delete texts immediately from numbers or names you don’t recognize.
 Be wary of emails that ask for money or send you to suspicious websites. Don’t click links within emails
you don’t recognize.
Target’s email communication regarding this incident will never ask you to provide personal or sensitive information.
Thank you for your patience and loyalty to Target. You can find additional information and FAQs about this incident at our Target.com website. If you have further questions, you may call us at 866-852-8680.
Gregg Steinhafel

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
After there genius blunder loosing everyone's data they send out an email saying click here for one year free credit report.. Soooo what if thieves take said email and change the embedded link to redirect them to their site to fill out a form for a fake credit protection gathering more information? Every company knows you are not to put clickable links in emails. Rather say to the end user go to target's website and click on the link below for identity protection.
So are you saying I shouldn't have filled out that with all my and my wifes personal info?
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
So are you saying I shouldn't have filled out that with all my and my wifes personal info?
Naw it was an official email but from an IT perspective you should never put a link in a official email as it can be spoofed by thieves redirecting you to a different website. For an example if I was the thief who got all the emails from target after target announced the free service and to be expecting an email from target shortly. I would take that email they sent use it to create a new email in HTML format and embed a info collecting link under the official link and send it to all the emails the thief collected giving the people who where compromised a false sense of security.

Thought of the day
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Indy

And its impossible to spoof unless th he link is originally included? Does every phisher in existence know they're wasting their time?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
And its impossible to spoof unless th he link is originally included? Does every phisher in existence know they're wasting their time?
No but announcing what target plans on doing and that there going to send out an email with instructions for free identity protection added fuel to the fire as it places the non tech savvy people in a position of false sense of security. All these people waiting for emails from target with instructions on how to subscribe to the free identity protection may just receive the opposite. The irony of the email with the link to the identity protection is just missing the approval from the Nigerian prince.

Thought of the day
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
chowner
2014 WK 

So, how stupid is the OP?

Quote:
please go to creditmonitoring.target.com
There's no hyperlink in the email
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.