So how is that 4.7 engine? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So how is that 4.7 engine?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats exactly the kind of information I wanted to know. Thanks a ton, good stuff to check out.

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That 4.7L is gutsy. I like the engine, but for a big RAM it doesn't feel like it has a lot of guts. There's a lot of potential there though...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not looking for a rocket. I want a solid reliable fun to drive DD. Which is why I am so set on this being the 6 speed and the short wheel base. My truck was pretty fast but theyre still trucks. Ill get fast later in life Im not that into it right now.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
That 4.7L is gutsy. I like the engine, but for a big RAM it doesn't feel like it has a lot of guts. There's a lot of potential there though...
Like I said, most of them come with some high gears like 3.20s, which makes it feel sluggish in the RAM. But we have a 2012 Ram on our lot with the 4.7/65RFE and 3.90 gears and it has more then enough power for anyone. Heck, it makes 310 hp and 330 ft lbs. Thats only 5 less of each when compared to Chevys 5.3.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Not looking for a rocket. I want a solid reliable fun to drive DD. Which is why I am so set on this being the 6 speed and the short wheel base. My truck was pretty fast but theyre still trucks. Ill get fast later in life Im not that into it right now.
Then the 4.7 will be absolutly perfect for you. That1guy pretty much nailed it with the common problems on that generation of Rams, and when taken care of they're very solid trucks. In fact, I can't think of the last time we had any ram in that needed major service.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How hard are the blend doors to fix? Does that require to tear into the dash alot or what?

For what its worth its a 4x4 so hopefully it has the low gears. Ive come to realize how little money I usually have so I wont be doing and lifting or modding or anything. Stock tire size so stock gears should be dandy.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Hurley91

Quote:
How hard are the blend doors to fix? Does that require to tear into the dash alot or what?

For what its worth its a 4x4 so hopefully it has the low gears. Ive come to realize how little money I usually have so I wont be doing and lifting or modding or anything. Stock tire size so stock gears should be dandy.
I haven't done it, but I know pretty much the whole dash has to come out.
Hurley91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
That1guy
2007 WK 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
I haven't done it, but I know pretty much the whole dash has to come out.
It's more time consuming then anything. I had to replace my heater core because the crimp failed so i stripped it to the firewall to replace it. It uses like 90 screws that are all the same with a few odd balls here and there. Took about 2 hours the first time without any clue in what i was doing. There is an easier way, but you have to cut holes in heater box and cobble and glue it back together. Not my cup of tea. The 02 and 03 has a crappier plastic used in the dash which gets brittle quickly and i broke the top piece with the defrost vents in it and had to buy another. It had a few hairline cracks so it was a matter of time.

And of course a gloat about my truck being a good truck and then the drivers side window motor blew up this morning. I didnt realize the window was frozen stuck and i went to roll the window down and it popped and now i can hear the motor turn but the window is stuck closed. Guess i cant complain after 10 years of service.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.