So how is that 4.7 engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > So how is that 4.7 engine?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So how is that 4.7 engine?

I dont need to tow liked I used too so I am going to get rid of my problematic V10 F350.

Found a nice 06 Dodge 1500 standard cab short bed with a 6 speed manual and the 4.7 engine. It cant tow much but it would do my cherokee just fine. Or thats what I am assuming. Price is right and its not more tuck that I need. I dont want a small truck, I was looking into a ranger but those are just too small.

So does anyone know about these trucks? I know the engine is a Jeep engine. How is it? Should be able to tow 4-5k right? Car trailer plus gear and cut up XJ?

I dont need the power of the V10 anymore and its quite a bit newer with only 80k miles on it. Gonna keep it stock height and tire size. From what I read it can tow 6,850 in the ram version. Hows the mileage DD and towing? Not that it matters I think anything is an upgrade from my V10. 8mpg in tow 11mpg on the highway. 8mpg on the highway loaded.

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Hurley91

Check out ramforum. I was talking to a guy with an 04 Ram the other day, and he likes his 4.7L. He tow a horse trailer with it and it pulls fairly well. He did have a 3815(I think) tuner, cat back hemi exhaust.... And a throttle body spacer(I know).

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

in my 00 durango ive got the 4.7 and it pulls and pulls. Towed a car on trailer down to Florida (1300miles one way then another 1500 back) and aside from the terrible wind mid continent i couldnt even tell i was towing anything.
95JeepFactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
bucklee00
1981 CJ5 

All my junk is at least 16 years old now so that 06 1500 may handle the load like an old 3/4 ton.

But, I think there's a huge difference pulling 5 or 6k with a 3/4 or 1ton vs a half ton. Used to pull my cj on a 1700 lb trailer with a 91 Chevy 1500, or a 99 Chevy 1500. Yeah they did it, but it's no comparison to the 97 f250 7.3 psd I use now. Even ignoring the diesel vs gas, The 3/4 hauls and handles and stops the load Much better than the 1500 trucks did.
bucklee00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
Check out ramforum. I was talking to a guy with an 04 Ram the other day, and he likes his 4.7L. He tow a horse trailer with it and it pulls fairly well. He did have a 3815(I think) tuner, cat back hemi exhaust.... And a throttle body spacer(I know).

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Good to know. I will probably only modify the exhaust. And honestly its probably just going to be a muffler. I never seem to keep a vehicle long enough to dump money into like I always do. Good to know though, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95JeepFactory View Post
in my 00 durango ive got the 4.7 and it pulls and pulls. Towed a car on trailer down to Florida (1300miles one way then another 1500 back) and aside from the terrible wind mid continent i couldnt even tell i was towing anything.
Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklee00 View Post
All my junk is at least 16 years old now so that 06 1500 may handle the load like an old 3/4 ton.

But, I think there's a huge difference pulling 5 or 6k with a 3/4 or 1ton vs a half ton. Used to pull my cj on a 1700 lb trailer with a 91 Chevy 1500, or a 99 Chevy 1500. Yeah they did it, but it's no comparison to the 97 f250 7.3 psd I use now. Even ignoring the diesel vs gas, The 3/4 hauls and handles and stops the load Much better than the 1500 trucks did.
Ive never had the pleasure of using a newer 1/2 ton but from what I hear is that tow as good as the older 3/4 tons. I dont know because this is a small v8 but thats OK I dont plan on towing anything bigger than it. Ill get a bigger truck later if I do. This is just a way more reasonable DD. Im really only excited about the 6 speed manual though.

My F350 is a beast and I love it to death but its proven to be more unreliable than worthwhile to keep.

In regards to how much better a larger truck with bigger brakes towes thats true. But I only went wheeling 4 times this year. My dad has a 91 chevy 1500 too and towing an older blazer I had with that was down right scary. My F350 ive grossed out at 20k so far and all I can think is "damn, what else can we fit on the trailer". It was epic I towed an old military 6x6 2 hours in a blizzard.

Im getting out of the big projects like that though, and im wheeling less and less everywhere. Big plans with my girlfriend are going to further impede any reason to own a 1 ton truck. If in the future I need one I can get one again. I just cant justify owning it anymore. It would be one thing if it was maintence free but its my main dd and its been broke down for over 3 weeks now with no fix in sight. It was broke down for a solid month earlier this summer too. Ive been stuck on my wr250r in the 30 degree weather. Thank god there is not snow yet!!
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
bucklee00
1981 CJ5 

That sucks about the v10 being down. Whats wrong with it? Is it the spark plug threads the v8 tritons are plagued with?

That 4.7 will probably yank it around, you'll just have to wind it up!
A 6spd short bed full size does sound like a fun dd though!
bucklee00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.7 is a great motor. We get them in with 200k+ miles all the time without needing any work. The only complaint I have about them is dodge doesn't put low enough gears in the axles. Get some 3.90s or 4.10s and it will have all the power you'll need.
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklee00 View Post
That sucks about the v10 being down. Whats wrong with it? Is it the spark plug threads the v8 tritons are plagued with?

That 4.7 will probably yank it around, you'll just have to wind it up!
A 6spd short bed full size does sound like a fun dd though!
Nope I had one ejected plug and fixed it really easy. I bought my truck knowing about that problem and having it already happen in my ex girlfriends truck and fixing it.

The problem is that sometimes it will run, sometimes it wont. It will just shutoff like you turned off the key . And we cant figure it out if its a bad wire somewhere or a bad computer or whatever. I cant figure it out and neither can a local mechanic. The last time it happened it still wont run I havent had my truck for a few weeks now. Im not working much either so I dont have the money to just take it to the dealership and spend thousands for them to throw parts at it. I can throw parts at it too till it runs but I dont have the money for that.

Its cheaper to offload it and get something else, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
The 4.7 is a great motor. We get them in with 200k+ miles all the time without needing any work. The only complaint I have about them is dodge doesn't put low enough gears in the axles. Get some 3.90s or 4.10s and it will have all the power you'll need.
I think it has 3.90s so thats great news!
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
jeep_on

I never had any engine issues out of the 4.7L engine I've had in my two WJs over the years. I use to pull my YJ around on a trailer, a Bayliner every weekend and even the Jet Skies when I had them (not all at the same time LOL) with it (not all at the same time LOL) until I bought a RAM with a Cummins.

I think its a great engine. Never owned a half ton truck (my Tundra dose not count as a half ton) so I don't know if towing with a larger truck is better, but I'd have to aggress with it as they are designed to tow.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They're great engines, but if you ever have to take it apart for any reason you'd be better off replacing it. It has very close tolerances and nobody- not even Dodge- recommends taking it apart. Usually if you need to do head work you'll end up with lower end problems and vice-versa.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on View Post
I never had any engine issues out of the 4.7L engine I've had in my two WJs over the years. I use to pull my YJ around on a trailer, a Bayliner every weekend and even the Jet Skies when I had them (not all at the same time LOL) with it (not all at the same time LOL) until I bought a RAM with a Cummins.

I think its a great engine. Never owned a half ton truck (my Tundra dose not count as a half ton) so I don't know if towing with a larger truck is better, but I'd have to aggress with it as they are designed to tow.
Great this is sounding pretty positive. ill probably end up doing it for sure then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_End View Post
They're great engines, but if you ever have to take it apart for any reason you'd be better off replacing it. It has very close tolerances and nobody- not even Dodge- recommends taking it apart. Usually if you need to do head work you'll end up with lower end problems and vice-versa.
Thats interesting. Sounds like it has a long life expectancy though so I would hope I didnt have tow orry about it.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_End View Post
Don't know where you got that info but it's all false.There is nothing special about the 4.7 and it is easily repaired.Like any other engine it's easily messed up from shotty repairs.
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Great this is sounding pretty positive. ill probably end up doing it for sure then!
I think it will work fine for what you need it to do. Your RAM will weigh more than my WJ did, so it will most likely do a better job towing than the WJs did. Good luck with it.

Damn I can't spell. I hate when you get a new keyboard and the words never seem to come together right.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
That1guy
2007 WK 

I have an 02 ram with the 4.7 auto and the 3.92 gears and 4wd. It will flat out run. Only about 30hp difference between the hemi and 4.7. Plus the hemi need 89 octane and has 16 spark plugs. I've had it for 6 years and never much fuss from it. I would be surprised if that truck has 3.92's being a stick especially if it's 2wd. I have towed cars on tow dolleys and it does it without much fuss. I wouldnt want to tow with it constantly, but it's fine for every now and then. A few of the big problems with these 3rd gen Rams are things like the LSD has retainer clips that like to fall out and can chew up the gears, people say they sludge up easily, but i change my oil every 10k using mobile 1 oil and never had an issue, the blend doors tend to break so test all the air positions, and lastly the fan for the A/C condenser tends to wear out. I love my truck and it has more room by far compared to other single cabs.

Here is a photo from a few years ago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.