Snap On vs. Matco vs. Cornwell - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Snap On vs. Matco vs. Cornwell

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #31
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been a ASE Master Technician for 25 years in that 25 years with exception of about 4 months I have always had a Snap On Dealer while Mac & Matco dealers came & went we went 3 years with no Mac Dealer! Sure Snap On Costs More But in my opinion it's worth it 95% of my tools are Snap On including the Boxes + I have Snap On Boxes at home, Think closely about becoming a Technician and be aware of how abusive it can be to your body & be aware of what chemicals/substances you are exposed to,I can tell you from experience! what started out to be a fun job is no fun at all anymore! Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & Back Troubles are what I am having trouble with,When you look for a job try to find one that doesn't pay flat rate I have taken a 50% pay cut do to this economy & very little work!

gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #32
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
I haven't seen a "Craftsman" torx They sell the import no nome for Torx...It's one of the Strap On sets I have.
They sell them at sears, with all of the other craftsman stuff.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #33
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

As a professional tech over most of my adult life this is what I've learned.

Things that must be Snap-on.

Wrenches, chrome sockets, universals (both impact and chrome), 1/4" drive ratchets, and air ratchets, drive bits (torx, allens ect...).

Everything else either Matco, or Mac.

All other air tools (die grinders, impacts, ect...) Ingersol Rand no doubt here, there are no substitutes, even Snap-on isn't up to par in my mind as a good ol' IR air tool. Matco's air tools are mfg by IR FYI.

Gear wrenches are awesome, not mfg by any of the above.

Makita drill and flashlights are top of the line.

Snap-on really small cordless driver, best 125$'s I spent last year.

Snap-on cordless impact, with out a doubt will take any rusted on lugnut off, even better then my 1000 ft lbs IR impact, have broken lugs with this thing.

Tool box's are just box's I would suggest getting what you can afford that is big enough to hold all of your tools, I had to buy a new box last year because I had no more room and the new one is already full, 5k$ for the new box too even though its a Matco, same size for Snap-on was like 8k$.

My box
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #34
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

snap on. they are awesome....

used them when i worked at jim and co auto service. as a mechanic. loved them

brraaap
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post
As a professional tech over most of my adult life this is what I've learned.

Things that must be Snap-on.

Wrenches, chrome sockets, universals (both impact and chrome), 1/4" drive ratchets, and air ratchets, drive bits (torx, allens ect...).

Everything else either Matco, or Mac.

All other air tools (die grinders, impacts, ect...) Ingersol Rand no doubt here, there are no substitutes, even Snap-on isn't up to par in my mind as a good ol' IR air tool. Matco's air tools are mfg by IR FYI.

Gear wrenches are awesome, not mfg by any of the above.

Makita drill and flashlights are top of the line.

Snap-on really small cordless driver, best 125$'s I spent last year.

Snap-on cordless impact, with out a doubt will take any rusted on lugnut off, even better then my 1000 ft lbs IR impact, have broken lugs with this thing.

Tool box's are just box's I would suggest getting what you can afford that is big enough to hold all of your tools, I had to buy a new box last year because I had no more room and the new one is already full, 5k$ for the new box too even though its a Matco, same size for Snap-on was like 8k$.

My box
man thats a nasty sick *** sweet *** box.
props

brraaap
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #36
autotek1

proffesional tools

man im a master tech for 10 years now and i use them all snapon mac matco and cornwell tools and snapon is not the best matco pinless universal impacts out live snapon 3to 1 thats why snapon just changed them and mac screwdrivers are way tougher than snapons mac set 10 years of use use them hard every day snapon break easy matco 88 tooth ratchets finer and stronger than snapons cornwell sockets chrome hold up better than snapon thats because there forged not cold formed like snapons they all make a great product but none can be called the best snapon wrenches you can pull real hard on them because the handles are so thin it hurts your hand a mac wrench with its thicker handle gives you more leverage and no handle rash and mac edge series sockets wasnt a beliver til i used one timing cover on a chevy colorado trying to remove head to install new exaust valves stripped 8mm cover bolts trying to get them out snapon socket not enough room to hammer a twist socket on the bolt the mac man gave me an edge socket to try with its 6point regular socket configuration like a normal socket but 3 out 6 side has flutes cut into them pushed socket on trurned ratchet socket slipped a little bit then bit into bolt head and removed bolt moral here is there all good tools i couldnt get through the day with out the help of the stand out tool features from all 4 tools companies and for the record matco build the strongest tools boxes and the best built boxes in the world period ive owned them all
autotek1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #37
autotek1

tools

cant go wrong with any of those brand thay all have therte good and bad i am now currently tradind snapo stuff in on mac and matco tools and in vise versa they all have there stand out tools i use them all and there just as good and they alll hold there value just as well tools are only ans good as the dealer behind them and for me its the matco man best tool guy ive ever had
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #38
autotek1

tools

i agree with lobukjeep if you own mac snapon matco cornwell there all good it depends on the service and most snapon dealers are useless no service behind them my matco guy goes above and beyond servicing his customers and for the record they all have there good and bad but no doubt there is a quality diff from the sears crap
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
IDK

Snap On hands down, lifetime warranty on everything, their tools are their specialty.
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #40
TJsport33s

2013 JK Wrangler 

There ia a huge price difference between Snap on and Cornwell, almost double. I would suggest Cornwell and if you need more tools then by snap on if you like because it is convienent. I know it sounds good to say I have over 30k in Snap on tools but who really cares. I you are busting your knuckles and tools everyday I would pay more for something that will last. When you are in the shop and if a tool craps out just borrow one from you buddy in the next bay and when you get a few tools together then run down to Sears or wherever and swap them in. If a tool is good I do not care what brand it is. All of my craftsmen sockets and wrenches have been good. I wish I could say that about their rachets. Bottom line is don't go in debt for your tools. It is all about putting the most money in your pocket not the snap on guys pocket.
TJsport33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #41
bercherker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Matco. I know where to find him. Strap On guy seems to sense when I've broken something, and scurries away like a roach when the lights come on.

I'm not really picky. As long as vendors are stupid enough to give ME a lifetime warranty, I'm cool. They've went downhill but I still like Craftsman. Sears can't run away, and I met wifey ( she worked in the Sears tool dept.) during an especially ugly '64 GMC resto.
bercherker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.