Snake Identification - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Snake Identification

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Indy

Your pics are killing me smalls

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Your pics are killing me smalls
hahaha, this
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Indy

I'm unfamiliar with the fox snake so I googled it. According to google, that looks nothing like one.

Not enough legs to start with

Unread 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha sorry about the picture quality. It was with my phone and I didn't want to get too close.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is one of those times when you have to shoot first and ask questions later. The snake really has a strong resemblance to a timber rattlesnake. Regardless of what breed it is, this snake qualifies for a lock and load moment.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have animal control come get it and tell you what it is.
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I'm like terrified of snakes, why am I in here?
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

The problem with the animal control solution is that response time is usually one hour at minimum. Do you have that much patience to stay with the snake? What if the response time is 4 hours or more? And what will you do while waiting for animal control to arrive? Snakes interpret non-motion as a threat. Their neurology allows them to see outlines of moving objects against objects at rest. They perceive an object which has changed from in motion to stationary as a potential predator which has blended into the background. Then they prepare to attack and/or attempt to leave.
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I know about snakes is what I looked up after running right into a, rattle snake on running trail....that was at school, but the place I run now at home has them too.

It does look similar to a timber rattle snake, just littler/young

...but I'm not an expert in any sense when it comes to snakes...I just know enough to know how frightened I should be when I encounter them running

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon View Post
The problem with the animal control solution is that response time is usually one hour at minimum. Do you have that much patience to stay with the snake? What if the response time is 4 hours or more? And what will you do while waiting for animal control to arrive? Snakes interpret non-motion as a threat. Their neurology allows them to see outlines of moving objects against objects at rest. They perceive an object which has changed from in motion to stationary as a potential predator which has blended into the background. Then they prepare to attack and/or attempt to leave.
I didn't know the motion thing....well **** ....so I should keep moving?...

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

In general, you should keep moving. But the answer depends on the breed of snake and your distance from it. Some breeds, such as the Texas Rat Snake are very aggressive and might pursue you no matter what action you take. Other snakes remain at rest and watch your movements. In the latter case, as long as your distance from the snake represents no threat, the snake has little reason to move. Still, there are other factors that might influence its behavior. This type of animal seeks cover most of the time. It knows that it is vulnerable to attack when it is in an open, unprotected area instead of hiding in grass. Safe distance is considered at least twice the length of the snake's body. If the snake looks approximately 3 feet in length, stay at least 6 feet away from it.

Inside a garage you cannot safely shoot a snake due to the chance of ricochet. However, you might able to use a pole or rake to place a towel over the snake and then hit it with a shovel after it is blinded. Again this depends on the breed and its length. Try to get assistance from a family member in this situation and use other tools. A powerwasher with 1800 psi or better can flush this critter out of the garage.
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
Indy

What if it's a water snake

Unread 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Looks a bit like a Copper Head.
2004_0911misc0143.jpg

1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
What if it's a water snake
Then use a gas-powered 3,000 psi power washer and watch the snake come apart!

The snake in the OP's photo did not look like a copperhead, btw. If it really was a copperhead, you better keep your distance and substitute a flame thrower for the power washer. Those things are as bad as rattlers. The least of your concerns will be death. Plan on a visit to the ICU and a potential hospital bill of $100K or more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.