Snake Identification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Snake Identification

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Snake Identification

A little while back, I wandered out in the garage and stepped right over the top of this 'fella a couple times before I even saw him. I decided to snap some photos for identification purposes. The quality isn't great as I didn't want to get too close to him. I'm curious what y'all think it is.

For a little information, he was found in my garage in Springfield, IL maybe 3-4 weeks back. I had recently removed a swimming pool, grated the back yard, and had tall fresh grass growing which is right off the back door to the garage. Our neighborhood is surround by trees, corn, and beans. The snake was about a foot long and at the time, didn't seem aggressive. I scooped him up with a shovel and let him go in the yard.

Fast forward to a few days ago, my neighbor found the same snake under a nearby tree. She said it tried to bite both her and her husband. Neither were bit but they said it had fangs.

I thought it looked an awful lot like a fox snake but I've heard many other options as well on what people thought it could be. Does anyone have any good ideas?

A little more information - I had recently picked up the J-10 and had it parked in my garage. I brought it up from down south towards St. Louis. If it looks like a southern snake, there is always the possibility he hitched a ride with us on the way up to Springfield.

Snake in garage:

Fox Snake:

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That, to me, looks like a dead snake if it was in my proximity.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha! I take it you're not a snake person!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Haha! I take it you're not a snake person!
lol

If I can't ID it and if it's indoors, it's likely going to be killed by some means if I can't safely remove it alive.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

broom & a garbage can, doesn't matter, no reason to kill every snake you see

New Jersey & you, broke together since 1787
GreenliftedTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Almost looks like a Timber Rattler but, of course, no rattle. Fox snake seems like a good candidate but it's hard to tell from the pics. It looks like a venomous breed b/c of the shape of the head but it's still hard to tell. Catch him and open up that mouth to see if he's fanged or not. stick him in a rubermaid box and take him to the woods. You can call animal control if you're not comfortable catching it yourself. If you're going to let it co-habitate with y'all then ou really should find out what type it is.... or join them Snake Salvation fools.

Site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_of_Illinois

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...tus_emoryi.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...alligaster.jpg
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Fox Snake:

But what does it say?
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
1911fish
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Its either a Hog nose or a milk snake. If the tip of the nose turns up it is a hog nose. Neither are venomous and both will eat mice and other pests around the house so consider your self lucky and your garage pest free.
FYI-I have been breeding reptiles for 16 years now so I know a thing or two about them
1911fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
Almost looks like a Timber Rattler but, of course, no rattle.
We discussed it being a rattle snake. We thought it may be young enough that the rattle hadn't formed yet. In the first picture, you can see how it's trying to get its tail up. The neighbors that came across it a few days ago said there are rattle snakes in the tree line 50-100 yards from my house.

Quote:
It looks like a venomous breed b/c of the shape of the head but it's still hard to tell.
My brother said the same thing.

Quote:
Catch him and open up that mouth to see if he's fanged or not.
The neighbors said he was fanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
But what does it say?
Ha! I should have saw that coming.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fish View Post
Its either a Hog nose or a milk snake. If the tip of the nose turns up it is a hog nose. Neither are venomous and both will eat mice and other pests around the house so consider your self lucky and your garage pest free.
FYI-I have been breeding reptiles for 16 years now so I know a thing or two about them
The Hognose snakes are goofy looking little guys! I'm pretty sure the nose was not turned up. I looked at pictures of the milk snake as well and agree it looks quite similar. The one thing throwing me off is Mr. Garage Snake's triangle shaped head...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Indy

It's not a fox snake, a milk snake, a rat snake etc. Shape of the head alone says venomous. $1 says the pupils aren't round either. I'd need a better picture of the head to tell you if it falls into the pit viper (rattlesnakes etc) category. All Missouri venomous snakes are pit vipers.

Hognose are venomous/toxic depending on who you talk to, but they are rear fanged not front fanged. OP's pics nose doesn't look pointed enough to be one.

Hit google images for both timber and Massasauga rattlesnakes. Both local to your area.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
nwiTJdave

Looks Eastern Hog Nose to me

http://mdc.mo.gov/media/image/eastern-hog-nosed-snake

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
1911fish
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is most certainly NOT a rattle snake. yes it has a pronounced head but it is in no way as pronounced as a venomous species. Also the scales are not keeled which all rattle snakes have keeled scales. Yes Hog nose are considered Toxic but not venomous that's why they are legal to own in NJ and yes they are rear fanged. But I am telling you this is a milk snake. It could also be a Hog nose but I would bet a pay check that its a milk snake. and I will bet my entire life saveings that its not a venomous snake.
1911fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here's another awful, blurry picture but it shows his profile a little.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i'd say fox snake, i've had a few and they look identical, plus are native to illinois. the angle its neck is and the bluriness of the shots could lead to some clarification issues and making it seem like its a different shape. also, foxes are false rattlers and will shake their tail when startled

heres the only pic i have on photobucket of mine with an albino corn. they were only housed together for a few days while i was setting up another tank

Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.