Smash Lab Sucks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Smash Lab Sucks

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #31
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sort of like Man Vs. Wild. What a joke. If you are going to "act" like you are alone, maybe it would be best to actually BE alone.

Unread 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #32
JerseyDubbin

only useful episode i've watched is the one where they were bomb proving brick buildings. They had some good ideas like painting the back with adhesive etc.. that actually worked and after that the show went downhill real fast

www.gothamtg.com
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #33
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryris View Post
Sort of like Man Vs. Wild. What a joke. If you are going to "act" like you are alone, maybe it would be best to actually BE alone.
That show has pro and cons. The filming is 1000x better than Survivorman because they have a film crew, but you're right about the 'being alone thing'.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #34
JerseyDubbin

he does do some crazy **** on that show though. I mean jumping into freezing water, eating all of the bugs etc. Even with the crew there he does do a lot and you can learn a bit form watching it.

www.gothamtg.com
JerseyDubbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #35
GeekInJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryris View Post
I don't like Smashlab, but I feel differently about Man vs. Wild. Many people compare it to Survivorman. They are entirely two different kinds of shows.

Les Stroud *is* alone and he has to pack his own gear. This means he moves slowly because he has to set up for shots and films himself walking away and then has to go back for the camera, then walk back again, etc. He's hard core, and it's real survival.

They make it no secret on Man vs. Wild that Bear is not alone. He sometimes talks to the crew, he refers to the crew having problems, they have big wordy disclaimers that your DVR can pause on and you can read, and they basically say that he gets support when he needs it and he's basically showing techniques. He's not always spending the entire night in makeshift huts is what that means... they help him build rafts and the such, and they have other survival gear that I have never been under the illusion that they never use. The man still shows some hard core techniques and endures some severe stuff. The nature of his show means he can move more quickly and demonstrate more. The guy has squeezed elephant dung and the remains of what a camel has eaten to get water and has eaten some pretty nasty stuff. He shows a lot of techniques for getting through and around obstacles.

Both shows have let me know I'm a dead man in those conditions.

-T-
GeekInJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #36
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekInJeep View Post
Many people compare it to Survivorman. They are entirely two different kinds of shows.

-T-
They may have differences but I compare it to Survivorman because both shows are about 'surviving', so they are comparable, just different.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #37
J33pst3r
1998 ZJ 

the onyl good episode that i saw was the one that they put a house on rollers to prevent severe damage during an earthwquake, and that was also the only experiment that really worked
J33pst3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #38
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekInJeep View Post
Both shows have let me know I'm a dead man in those conditions.
Amen to that
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Mike makes that show work. Did you happend to catch a few 'jobs' where Mike's producer tried to fill in for Mike? It was embarassingly bad. No matter what show Mike Rowe would ever choose to do, I'd watch it as he's a pure class guy with a great sense of humor.

x2 + 1000000

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #40
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

You guys ever seen when Mike Rowe was on QVC? There's a pretty good video of him on there trying to sell a Cat Sack...
[YT]rChjMRfi40c[/YT]
Unread 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #41
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Mike makes that show work. Did you happend to catch a few 'jobs' where Mike's producer tried to fill in for Mike? It was embarassingly bad. No matter what show Mike Rowe would ever choose to do, I'd watch it as he's a pure class guy with a great sense of humor.
Mike is the only reason I watch that show, he's a funny guy. I crack up when I see him in some of those situations.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #42
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I saw smash labs once.

ONCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #43
GIJOEBILL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We saw some interview with Mike Rowe. If I remember correctly,I believe he was a Opera Singer.
GIJOEBILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #44
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Saw the new smash lab. I don't think it could get any worse. Yea, I guess if you have a bunch of crown vics and some boom boom you can have a show. Doesn't mean it will be any good tho.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #45
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mike Rowe is pretty cool, but some times he can make some pretty rude comments towards the people on the show. I forget which one it was, but I actually kind of thought he should have been decked for saying what he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.