Smaller tires... better gas mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Smaller tires... better gas mileage?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
serg23
2000 WJ 

Smaller tires... better gas mileage?

Hello Jeep Lovers I'm a proud owner a 2000 GC Laredo 4x4. I have p245/70 r16 tires on my jeep. I was wondering if I get samller tires would it increase my mpg. I currently get about 23-24 mpg @ 60-65 mph and 20-22 mpg @ 70-75 mph.

serg23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

From what I understand it would around town but you would loose mileage on the hi-way. Basically it makes it easier for the vehicle to get under power but will spin at a higher RPM out on the open road.

Also probably want to post in Tech forum. Get more and better informed responses most of the time.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

try this link, it'll give you all of the numbers for different tire sizes vrs rpms, its also helpful if you plan on regearing
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It can be a little misleading because your odometer will not be accurate with smaller tires. It will say that you went further than you actually did which will make it appear that you got better mileage.

Your odometer calculates distance by counting the number of revolutions and multiplying it by the known circumference of your tire. If your tire is smaller, it will rotate more times in a given distance. Since your ECM is unaware of the smaller tires, it thinks you actually went further.

Let's say that you put on a set of 245/60 tires so you kept the same width, but had a smaller diameter. Your mileage would be off by 7%. If you were to simply divide the miles on your odometer by the gallons of gas, you would think you saw an immediate improvement in fuel economy. The truth is, you need to divide the miles traveled by 1.07 (or multiply by .935) before you do your mileage calculations.

For those of you who put on larger tires and assumed that "the gearing" made your mileage go to crap, the same thing applies. You are actually getting better mileage. I actually have to add 10% to my miles traveled when doing my fuel economy calculations.
bmlawless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think you have have to look at the type of driving your doing. Smaller tires(to a point) will help MPG around town but hurt you on the highway. Either way too small or large and you could kill MPGs no matter what.

Example I have 35's on 307 gears. I get hurt around town and on the highway if I use 5th gear. But turning my 4th gear into my overdrive I get better MPG. 5th gear drops my RPM way too low and my engine has to work harder to maintain speed. If the tires were made too small I might make 1st gear useless and have to take off in 2nd gear. While in 5th gear my RPM would be too high and cost me MPGs.

Chris.
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Your mileage is really good for your grand. Most of us WJ guys see the 17 to 18 on the highway if we are lucky.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawless View Post
It can be a little misleading because your odometer will not be accurate with smaller tires. It will say that you went further than you actually did which will make it appear that you got better mileage.

Your odometer calculates distance by counting the number of revolutions and multiplying it by the known circumference of your tire. If your tire is smaller, it will rotate more times in a given distance. Since your ECM is unaware of the smaller tires, it thinks you actually went further.

Let's say that you put on a set of 245/60 tires so you kept the same width, but had a smaller diameter. Your mileage would be off by 7%. If you were to simply divide the miles on your odometer by the gallons of gas, you would think you saw an immediate improvement in fuel economy. The truth is, you need to divide the miles traveled by 1.07 (or multiply by .935) before you do your mileage calculations.

For those of you who put on larger tires and assumed that "the gearing" made your mileage go to crap, the same thing applies. You are actually getting better mileage. I actually have to add 10% to my miles traveled when doing my fuel economy calculations.
I'm pretty sure the gear that corrects the speedometer corrects this too
Unread 10-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #8
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarambo101 View Post

So does a navigation system. As well as already knowing the exact miles to a place.

I had this fight with a friend that could not believe the MPGs I could pull down with big tires,roof racks or light bars,heavy bumpers and the works. He made the claim my odo, was wrong giving me false numbers. But I knew the miles driven so the odo no longer mattered. To become a believer I drove his truck and scored almost double the MPGs but he said he could never drive like that without having a mental break down.

Chris.
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
Unread 10-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

You have a stock tire size. Leave it the way it is. It will cost you a lot more to get new tires than what you will save on gas. If you want good mileage buy a Prius. 12.3MPG ftw.
Unread 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's absolutely true, but the OP didn't mention that they would be replacing the speedo gear. If anyone swaps tires, I would recommend swapping the gear. It is inexpensive and easy to do.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
"TJ" really stands for "TEAL JEEP!"
I'll think of a better signature when my ADHD medication starts wor.....hey look, a penny!
Unread 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv View Post
So does a navigation system. As well as already knowing the exact miles to a place.

I had this fight with a friend that could not believe the MPGs I could pull down with big tires,roof racks or light bars,heavy bumpers and the works. He made the claim my odo, was wrong giving me false numbers. But I knew the miles driven so the odo no longer mattered. To become a believer I drove his truck and scored almost double the MPGs but he said he could never drive like that without having a mental break down.

Chris.
ya, except there's a little bit of a price difference between the gear and a GPS, but I know what your talking about, I used a GPS to check my speeds until i got the new gear, and its amazing what going lighter on the gas will do to you milage
Unread 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ya, except there's a little bit of a price difference between the gear and a GPS, but I know what your talking about, I used a GPS to check my speeds until i got the new gear, and its amazing what going lighter on the gas will do to you milage

Even with the gear you could still be off been there done that in the old hot rod days. But yes it is much cheaper but now having the nav system I would have to replace it if it ever broke.

Yes keeping a light foot on the gogo peddle helps but so does a lot of coasting those are near free miles.

Chris.
Unread 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

The gear is irrelevant, works different in the WJ in question

The increase you'd see from smaller tires would not at all be worth the cost of them. I wouldn't go much smaller than the smallest stock size available (225/75/16) either. Actually, I wouldn't go smaller at all, but then again I lift in the face of high gas prices
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

psssttt.......you drive a jeep not a civic or prius.
Unread 10-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
psssttt.......you drive a jeep not a civic or prius.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
"TJ" really stands for "TEAL JEEP!"
I'll think of a better signature when my ADHD medication starts wor.....hey look, a penny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.