Showoff your Guns Thread! - Page 207 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Showoff your Guns Thread!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #3091
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Interesting. Was it the pins causing some type of interference?
I honestly don't know. I put it on right before a training and qualification trip. It started to get sticky then bound up entirely. I took it off and no more problems. I shot it a lot more in that day than you would expect to shoot a gun like that, but it turned me off to the whole thing. You may not have any issues, but just be aware of the possibility.

Unread 11-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #3092
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_

I honestly don't know. I put it on right before a training and qualification trip. It started to get sticky then bound up entirely. I took it off and no more problems. I shot it a lot more in that day than you would expect to shoot a gun like that, but it turned me off to the whole thing. You may not have any issues, but just be aware of the possibility.
Funny you brought this all up. Went out and ran maybe 20 shells through it, mostly target load but 4 OO buck.

The target loads were binding it up. I would have to attempt to rack it once or twice before it let loose, it would only move a fraction of an inch. Some cycled fine, i could get several in a row working fine, and the 4 buck didn't bind, but it was sticky for sure. The shells didn't seem bulged or anything like it was a out of spec chamber or anything.

I pulled it off and will shoot it next time to see if it still happens.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #3093
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Table of tools during today's training/night shoot

Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #3094
95chameleonzj
1995 ZJ 

Girlfriend surprised me today
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142256.332058.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142284.848423.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142269.348871.jpg  
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #3095
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95chameleonzj View Post
You might want to consider reposting with out the serial #'s ?
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #3096
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My XDm9 w/ TLR1HL combo in RCS holster

After about a month of daily carry I barely notice it on my hip.

Also somewhat firearm related; I got a new phone, a S4, I like it a lot its just huge and thin and feels easy to break. So I bought a hard water proof case for it, which I also like, but it made the phone even larger and it wouldn't fit in my old Maxpedition phone holster anymore. I then noticed that the phone in its case is about the size of a pmag, Its actually about a 1/2in wider than the pmag and 3/8in thinner. So I started looking at AR mag pouches to fit my phone in, problem with that is all of them are made to attach to MOLLE gear, which would be fine on range day but not around town, or require adapters to use on a normal belt with no official way to simply clip them to my pocket like my old maxped holster. Then I found these spring clips, they're 7/8in wide and fit down PALS channels perfectly and lock into place very well.

So I give you the HSGI big phone holster/mag pouch with belt clips.

chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #3097
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So they apparently lowered the pistol permit age here in alabama down to 18. Therefore i am now in the market for a good conceal carry holster. I have a Browning .380 automatic that would be my first choice of sidearm, as it is smaller than the 1911. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what holster to get? Concealability is the main thing, I don't want people to think i'm robbing them all the time. Maybe I should start my own thread so not to hijack this one...
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3098
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
So they apparently lowered the pistol permit age here in alabama down to 18. Therefore i am now in the market for a good conceal carry holster. I have a Browning .380 automatic that would be my first choice of sidearm, as it is smaller than the 1911. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what holster to get? Concealability is the main thing, I don't want people to think i'm robbing them all the time. Maybe I should start my own thread so not to hijack this one...
Honestly, don't worry about it to much. Most people around you are so blissfully unaware of their surroundings they aren't going to notice the outline of a pistol under a shirt, or even the occasional butt sticking out. The only ones who will notice are going to be other CCers (well the alert ones anyways) or people trained to look for things like that (police, feds, professional security, ect.).

Look around for IWB holsters, Crossbread, Comp-Tac, ect. Also look at custom holster makers, some do excellent work at a comparable price point to most major manufactures. Also, avoid cheap junk, most if not all good holsters will run upwards of 50$.

The Belt is also as important as the holster, don't cheap out, a normal pants belt wont hold up a pistol comfortably and most nice ones will cost ~50$ and up. There are some exceptions on belts though, the Uncle Mikes Rigger Belts are about 15$ and is every bit as stiff as my 40$ Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, the only difference is Wilderness has better build quality, is sized to fit, and is actually rated for emergency repelling use. I dont plan on ever having to use it to do any repelling with it, so its a bit overkill in that regard, but its still a nice belt.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #3099
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post

Honestly, don't worry about it to much. Most people around you are so blissfully unaware of their surroundings they aren't going to notice the outline of a pistol under a shirt, or even the occasional butt sticking out. The only ones who will notice are going to be other CCers (well the alert ones anyways) or people trained to look for things like that (police, feds, professional security, ect.).

Look around for IWB holsters, Crossbread, Comp-Tac, ect. Also look at custom holster makers, some do excellent work at a comparable price point to most major manufactures. Also, avoid cheap junk, most if not all good holsters will run upwards of 50$.

The Belt is also as important as the holster, don't cheap out, a normal pants belt wont hold up a pistol comfortably and most nice ones will cost ~50$ and up. There are some exceptions on belts though, the Uncle Mikes Rigger Belts are about 15$ and is every bit as stiff as my 40$ Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, the only difference is Wilderness has better build quality, is sized to fit, and is actually rated for emergency repelling use. I dont plan on ever having to use it to do any repelling with it, so its a bit overkill in that regard, but its still a nice belt.
To first start out I would suggest looking into cheap IWB, blackhawk and uncle mike make some nylon ones that are only 10 bucks or so, these are good to let you know if your gun is what you want to carry. And are reseaonably comfortable. I got one for my 38 when I first got my permit and decided I wanted bigger, now I carry a full size 9mm and glad I didn't drop 50+ bucks on a nice holster. But now that I am set on the gun I am looking for a custom kydex. And I also will still carry my 38 sometimes.

Also you want to consider how many layers of clothes you wear. Not sure how cold it gets were your at in Alabama but I am in MN so the heavy clothes are coming. This time of year I switch to an outside the waist holster as I don't wanna have to dig through to many layers.

As stated, belt is key, I found a decent thick belt at walmart for about 15 that worked great but my holster ate through it in about 4 months. Picked up one at local gun shop for about 35 that is a world better.

And I would agree that most people do not notice, even most police don't notice. Only time in 3 years I have been asked is when riding with the doors off my jeep and wearing a tactical holster back from the range did a cop sitting next to me at a red light see it, guess sitting in the passenger seat with a full size 9mm and 2 extra clips in an exposed tactical holster is a little obvious.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #3100
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

AR-50

Savage .243 AI and AR-15, both built by me.

number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #3101
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
AR-50

Savage .243 AI and AR-15, both built by me.
My christmas list just got bigger.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #3102
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnck_8 View Post
To first start out I would suggest looking into cheap IWB, blackhawk and uncle mike make some nylon ones that are only 10 bucks or so, these are good to let you know if your gun is what you want to carry.
No.

they are terrible to let you know if its the gun you want to carry because they are not fitted to the gun, ovver no support are not overly stable (one point of connection to the belt) and are very thin and flimsy. They dont hold the gun close to you either.

I tried to use one for over a year and hated it, with multiple guns.

It actually caused me to sell a gun, and then to almost sell another but then i thought "how about i try a quality holster". I got a crossbreed supertuck and now carry my G19 every day. If you asked me 1 week before i got the good holster, i would have said a G19 is too big to carry concealed.

holster makes all the difference.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3103
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

X2 .on uncle mikes ... My gun always slips out -- loose etc

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3104
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

No.

they are terrible to let you know if its the gun you want to carry because they are not fitted to the gun, ovver no support are not overly stable (one point of connection to the belt) and are very thin and flimsy. They dont hold the gun close to you either.

I tried to use one for over a year and hated it, with multiple guns.

It actually caused me to sell a gun, and then to almost sell another but then i thought "how about i try a quality holster". I got a crossbreed supertuck and now carry my G19 every day. If you asked me 1 week before i got the good holster, i would have said a G19 is too big to carry concealed.

holster makes all the difference.
For the record, you're the one that really sold me on the supertuck several months ago. I have a G26 that I just bought a few weeks ago and my holster will be on my doorstep on Tuesday. Thanks, Marn!
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #3105
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
For the record, you're the one that really sold me on the supertuck several months ago. I have a G26 that I just bought a few weeks ago and my holster will be on my doorstep on Tuesday. Thanks, Marn!
No problem, lol, but I'm just using the crossbreed as an example above, i'm not saying its necessarily the holster to use.

Same went for my old 1911, never carried it. Had a custom rig built for my sig 1911 that is full size (weird slide profile, rail, and left handed meant there was not a single offering on the market for me) and now i conceal that dang thing under a t shirt too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.