Showoff your Guns Thread! - Page 207 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Showoff your Guns Thread!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Reply
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #3091
Chris_
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Interesting. Was it the pins causing some type of interference?
I honestly don't know. I put it on right before a training and qualification trip. It started to get sticky then bound up entirely. I took it off and no more problems. I shot it a lot more in that day than you would expect to shoot a gun like that, but it turned me off to the whole thing. You may not have any issues, but just be aware of the possibility.

__________________
'02 TJ X Apex Edition
'00 XJ Sport
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #3092
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_

I honestly don't know. I put it on right before a training and qualification trip. It started to get sticky then bound up entirely. I took it off and no more problems. I shot it a lot more in that day than you would expect to shoot a gun like that, but it turned me off to the whole thing. You may not have any issues, but just be aware of the possibility.
Funny you brought this all up. Went out and ran maybe 20 shells through it, mostly target load but 4 OO buck.

The target loads were binding it up. I would have to attempt to rack it once or twice before it let loose, it would only move a fraction of an inch. Some cycled fine, i could get several in a row working fine, and the 4 buck didn't bind, but it was sticky for sure. The shells didn't seem bulged or anything like it was a out of spec chamber or anything.

I pulled it off and will shoot it next time to see if it still happens.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #3093
Munch520
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 133
Table of tools during today's training/night shoot



__________________
2005 WK (sold)
2011 JK Rubi (sold)
2008 Liberty
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #3094
95chameleonzj
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Prineville, Oregon
Posts: 50
Girlfriend surprised me today
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142256.332058.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142284.848423.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1384142269.348871.jpg  
__________________
95 jeep grand cherokee 5.2 v8 quadra-trac. Arb winch bumper bds 4.5 inch lift jks upper and lower control arms green and gray two tone hopefully more to come
95chameleonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #3095
RICEKILA
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Swindel-hurst, NY
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95chameleonzj View Post
You might want to consider reposting with out the serial #'s ?
__________________
I was once a tree house.
I lived in a cake.
But I never saw the way - the orange slayed the rake --
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #3096
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,236
My XDm9 w/ TLR1HL combo in RCS holster


After about a month of daily carry I barely notice it on my hip.

Also somewhat firearm related; I got a new phone, a S4, I like it a lot its just huge and thin and feels easy to break. So I bought a hard water proof case for it, which I also like, but it made the phone even larger and it wouldn't fit in my old Maxpedition phone holster anymore. I then noticed that the phone in its case is about the size of a pmag, Its actually about a 1/2in wider than the pmag and 3/8in thinner. So I started looking at AR mag pouches to fit my phone in, problem with that is all of them are made to attach to MOLLE gear, which would be fine on range day but not around town, or require adapters to use on a normal belt with no official way to simply clip them to my pocket like my old maxped holster. Then I found these spring clips, they're 7/8in wide and fit down PALS channels perfectly and lock into place very well.

So I give you the HSGI big phone holster/mag pouch with belt clips.


chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #3097
mclovinal
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: oxford AL.
Posts: 354
So they apparently lowered the pistol permit age here in alabama down to 18. Therefore i am now in the market for a good conceal carry holster. I have a Browning .380 automatic that would be my first choice of sidearm, as it is smaller than the 1911. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what holster to get? Concealability is the main thing, I don't want people to think i'm robbing them all the time. Maybe I should start my own thread so not to hijack this one...
__________________
'98 jeep tj, Zone 2" BB, d30 aussie locked /d35 open. 31x10.5 KM2's cragar soft 8, rockhard sport cage, midland CB radio, tuff designs rear bumper/ tire carrier, trans. cooler and extended breather.
"if you ain't gettin' stuck, you ain't doin' enough."
mclovinal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3098
chriskeenan
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton, Oregon
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
So they apparently lowered the pistol permit age here in alabama down to 18. Therefore i am now in the market for a good conceal carry holster. I have a Browning .380 automatic that would be my first choice of sidearm, as it is smaller than the 1911. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what holster to get? Concealability is the main thing, I don't want people to think i'm robbing them all the time. Maybe I should start my own thread so not to hijack this one...
Honestly, don't worry about it to much. Most people around you are so blissfully unaware of their surroundings they aren't going to notice the outline of a pistol under a shirt, or even the occasional butt sticking out. The only ones who will notice are going to be other CCers (well the alert ones anyways) or people trained to look for things like that (police, feds, professional security, ect.).

Look around for IWB holsters, Crossbread, Comp-Tac, ect. Also look at custom holster makers, some do excellent work at a comparable price point to most major manufactures. Also, avoid cheap junk, most if not all good holsters will run upwards of 50$.

The Belt is also as important as the holster, don't cheap out, a normal pants belt wont hold up a pistol comfortably and most nice ones will cost ~50$ and up. There are some exceptions on belts though, the Uncle Mikes Rigger Belts are about 15$ and is every bit as stiff as my 40$ Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, the only difference is Wilderness has better build quality, is sized to fit, and is actually rated for emergency repelling use. I dont plan on ever having to use it to do any repelling with it, so its a bit overkill in that regard, but its still a nice belt.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #3099
rdnck_8
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake City, MN
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post

Honestly, don't worry about it to much. Most people around you are so blissfully unaware of their surroundings they aren't going to notice the outline of a pistol under a shirt, or even the occasional butt sticking out. The only ones who will notice are going to be other CCers (well the alert ones anyways) or people trained to look for things like that (police, feds, professional security, ect.).

Look around for IWB holsters, Crossbread, Comp-Tac, ect. Also look at custom holster makers, some do excellent work at a comparable price point to most major manufactures. Also, avoid cheap junk, most if not all good holsters will run upwards of 50$.

The Belt is also as important as the holster, don't cheap out, a normal pants belt wont hold up a pistol comfortably and most nice ones will cost ~50$ and up. There are some exceptions on belts though, the Uncle Mikes Rigger Belts are about 15$ and is every bit as stiff as my 40$ Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, the only difference is Wilderness has better build quality, is sized to fit, and is actually rated for emergency repelling use. I dont plan on ever having to use it to do any repelling with it, so its a bit overkill in that regard, but its still a nice belt.
To first start out I would suggest looking into cheap IWB, blackhawk and uncle mike make some nylon ones that are only 10 bucks or so, these are good to let you know if your gun is what you want to carry. And are reseaonably comfortable. I got one for my 38 when I first got my permit and decided I wanted bigger, now I carry a full size 9mm and glad I didn't drop 50+ bucks on a nice holster. But now that I am set on the gun I am looking for a custom kydex. And I also will still carry my 38 sometimes.

Also you want to consider how many layers of clothes you wear. Not sure how cold it gets were your at in Alabama but I am in MN so the heavy clothes are coming. This time of year I switch to an outside the waist holster as I don't wanna have to dig through to many layers.

As stated, belt is key, I found a decent thick belt at walmart for about 15 that worked great but my holster ate through it in about 4 months. Picked up one at local gun shop for about 35 that is a world better.

And I would agree that most people do not notice, even most police don't notice. Only time in 3 years I have been asked is when riding with the doors off my jeep and wearing a tactical holster back from the range did a cop sitting next to me at a red light see it, guess sitting in the passenger seat with a full size 9mm and 2 extra clips in an exposed tactical holster is a little obvious.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #3100
number40Fan
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 292
AR-50



Savage .243 AI and AR-15, both built by me.

number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #3101
rdnck_8
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake City, MN
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
AR-50



Savage .243 AI and AR-15, both built by me.
My christmas list just got bigger.
rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #3102
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnck_8 View Post
To first start out I would suggest looking into cheap IWB, blackhawk and uncle mike make some nylon ones that are only 10 bucks or so, these are good to let you know if your gun is what you want to carry.
No.

they are terrible to let you know if its the gun you want to carry because they are not fitted to the gun, ovver no support are not overly stable (one point of connection to the belt) and are very thin and flimsy. They dont hold the gun close to you either.

I tried to use one for over a year and hated it, with multiple guns.

It actually caused me to sell a gun, and then to almost sell another but then i thought "how about i try a quality holster". I got a crossbreed supertuck and now carry my G19 every day. If you asked me 1 week before i got the good holster, i would have said a G19 is too big to carry concealed.

holster makes all the difference.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3103
wj4play
Web Wheeler
 
wj4play's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,281
X2 .on uncle mikes ... My gun always slips out -- loose etc

Sent from busted up iPhone
__________________
99 Grand, 37" and mostly factory - Raised tank and trimmed fenders etc
wj4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3104
jrallen
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

No.

they are terrible to let you know if its the gun you want to carry because they are not fitted to the gun, ovver no support are not overly stable (one point of connection to the belt) and are very thin and flimsy. They dont hold the gun close to you either.

I tried to use one for over a year and hated it, with multiple guns.

It actually caused me to sell a gun, and then to almost sell another but then i thought "how about i try a quality holster". I got a crossbreed supertuck and now carry my G19 every day. If you asked me 1 week before i got the good holster, i would have said a G19 is too big to carry concealed.

holster makes all the difference.
For the record, you're the one that really sold me on the supertuck several months ago. I have a G26 that I just bought a few weeks ago and my holster will be on my doorstep on Tuesday. Thanks, Marn!
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #3105
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
For the record, you're the one that really sold me on the supertuck several months ago. I have a G26 that I just bought a few weeks ago and my holster will be on my doorstep on Tuesday. Thanks, Marn!
No problem, lol, but I'm just using the crossbreed as an example above, i'm not saying its necessarily the holster to use.

Same went for my old 1911, never carried it. Had a custom rig built for my sig 1911 that is full size (weird slide profile, rail, and left handed meant there was not a single offering on the market for me) and now i conceal that dang thing under a t shirt too.
__________________
-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.