Showoff your Guns Thread! - Page 202 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Showoff your Guns Thread!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #3016
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you guys suggest a hand gun and rifle for a ubernoob? I have shot plenty of guns over my life but most of the time I had no idea what the make or calibre of the gun was. I'm really thinking about getting a couple guns soon. I'm thinking about two guns: A rifle for mainly target shooting, but big enough to kill a deer, and a hand gun. I don't have a concealed carry license and don't plan to get one anytime soon.

For a handgun, I would really like to get a revolver. No real reason other than the bad-*** factor. (Don't say glock. I will not get a glock.)

For the rifle, I'm pretty lost. I really like lever actions like the Marlins, also just for the bad-*** factor. Also, mosin nagants give me a boner. Would it be unrealistic to hunt with a mosin?

I also really like this, what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
OMG GUNZ!

One of my more recent projects. bout 1/2 MOA on paper. I go out ringing steel at 600 yards with factory match .223. Working on load development of my own at the moment.

I've been browsing lately, at Gander and my local gun shows and swap meets, but I pretty much stare at walls of guns and have no idea what I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #3017
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
Can you guys suggest a hand gun and rifle for a ubernoob? I have shot plenty of guns over my life but most of the time I had no idea what the make or calibre of the gun was. I'm really thinking about getting a couple guns soon. I'm thinking about two guns: A rifle for mainly target shooting, but big enough to kill a deer, and a hand gun.

For a handgun, I would really like to get a revolver. No real reason other than the bad-*** factor. (Don't say glock. I will not get a glock.)

For the rifle, I'm pretty lost. I really like lever actions like the Marlins, also just for the bad-*** factor. Also, mosin nagants give me a boner. They were designed to kill humans, so they should be able to kill a deer, right? Would it be unrealistic to hunt with a mosin?

I've been browsing lately, at Gander and my local gun shows and swap meets, but I pretty much stare at walls of guns and have no idea what I'm looking at.
If your just getting into guns im gonna say a Ruger 10/22. No offense but if you know nothing of calibers and its going to be your first gun - start simple before you go out into the woods hunting. Your going to need practice. It be better to start with .03 cents a round ammo than .40 cents+. Plus with all the aftermarket for 10/22s, the sky is the limit - you can make it a tactical rifle with a 30rnd mag or a precision shooter.

A .22 revolver or semi auto would be my choice for a handgun as well. Once you comfortable with handling, shooting and cleaning your guns, you can always step up. Plus if you get a 10/22 its less ammo to buy.

If your hell bent on a deer hunting caliber - a Remington 700 bolt action in .223 or higher. A Marlin 30/30 is a decent mid power lever action. A Mosin is one of the last rifles I would get as a first gun - its high recoil will get you into the nasty habbit of "Flinching" with all your guns. A Mosin will field dress the deer - overkill for deer hunting. Might want to loose the "designed to kill humans" talk before you get on a watch list too. If you said that in a gun store in this post Sandy Hook time... they might flag your background check for further review which can stop you from getting a gun at all.

STAY AWAY FROM GUN SHOWS! You will get butt raped if you dont know what your looking for! Walmart actually has good prices on guns, and a special order catalog if they dont have it in the store. Id do lots of reading before jumping into anything. Youtube is a good place for reviews and info.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #3018
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
If your just getting into guns im gonna say a Ruger 10/22. No offense but if you know nothing of calibers and its going to be your first gun - start simple before you go out into the woods hunting. Your going to need practice. It be better to start with .03 cents a round ammo than .40 cents+. Plus with all the aftermarket for 10/22s, the sky is the limit - you can make it a tactical rifle with a 30rnd mag or a precision shooter.

A .22 revolver or semi auto would be my choice for a handgun as well. Once you comfortable with handling, shooting and cleaning your guns, you can always step up. Plus if you get a 10/22 its less ammo to buy.

If your hell bent on a deer hunting caliber - a Remington 700 bolt action in .223 or higher. A Marlin 30/30 is a decent mid power lever action. A Mosin is one of the last rifles I would get as a first gun - its high recoil will get you into the nasty habbit of "Flinching" with all your guns. A Mosin will field dress the deer - overkill for deer hunting. Might want to loose the "designed to kill humans" talk before you get on a watch list too. If you said that in a gun store in this post Sandy Hook time... they might flag your background check for further review which can stop you from getting a gun at all.

STAY AWAY FROM GUN SHOWS! You will get butt raped if you dont know what your looking for! Walmart actually has good prices on guns, and a special order catalog if they dont have it in the store. Id do lots of reading before jumping into anything. Youtube is a good place for reviews and info.
Thanks for the reply.

I would never buy from a gun show, just browsing really and trying to get an idea of what's what.
Also you're probably right on me being over zealous about the hunting aspect. I'm getting into bow hunting this season (going out tonight) and I guess I'm just really excited

Maybe it's just me, but .22 rifles have always been a huge turn off. Like, chick with a mustache kind of turn off. I realize you can buy, shoot, and customize them for cheap, but they just seem like a waste to me. "Underkill", if you will. When I wanna go shoot guns, I wanna go shoot guns. I like a bit of stock in my shoulder and bang in my ear. Otherwise I'd just target practice with a pellet gun all day.

However, I just might look into a .22 revolver. That seems like a great place to start and learn from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but revolvers are a lot simpler to take down and clean aren't they? No barrel, slide, etc to mess with.
Quote:
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.

Unread 10-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #3019
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but .22 rifles have always been a huge turn off. Like, chick with a mustache kind of turn off. I realize you can buy, shoot, and customize them for cheap, but they just seem like a waste to me. "Underkill", if you will. When I wanna go shoot guns, I wanna go shoot guns. I like a bit of stock in my shoulder and bang in my ear. Otherwise I'd just target practice with a pellet gun all day.
Don't be surprised if this kind of attitude gets a very cool reception.

It's attitudes like that that give responsible gun owners a bad name. Learn the ins and outs of cleaning, precision shooting, responsible handling, culture, etc. before you decide to just start grabbing "badass" phallic stand-ins.

I'm all about getting into firearms for the purpose of hunting, but there's nothing worse than a hunter taking shots at live game when he hasn't taken the time be sure he can make a clean ethical kill.

Grab yourself a fun little lever-action .22. They're a blast to shoot, not too expensive, and great for mastering breath control, trigger pull, target sighting, etc. Once you've mastered that, then move on up to a 30-30 or a 30-06 for deer.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #3020
stockerokie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ

Thanks for the reply.

I would never buy from a gun show, just browsing really and trying to get an idea of what's what.
Also you're probably right on me being over zealous about the hunting aspect. I'm getting into bow hunting this season (going out tonight) and I guess I'm just really excited

However, I just might look into a .22 revolver. That seems like a great place to start and learn from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but revolvers are a lot simpler to take down and clean aren't they? No barrel, slide, etc to mess with.
Look into a 17hmr rifle. They are really fun to shoot and won't break the pocket book. When the wind is light you can reach out to a couple hundred yards.
stockerokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3021
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it's just me, but .22 rifles have always been a huge turn off. Like, chick with a mustache kind of turn off.

Im gonna disagree with you there. Im not saying use a 10/22 for home defense or as a primary gun. Its a cheap way to get good with shooting. Plus its a lot of fun. I shoot 100-300 rounds a week out of my .22 at a cost of $10 bucks. Go look at ammo prices... then the .22LR will start looking like a more attractive chick with a mustache . I can probably shoot my .22 faster and more accurite than most "average" gun owners can shoot a scoped centerfire rifle.

Revolvers are simple. I wouldnt say easier to clean. Cleaning a handgun only takes 5-10 minutes, no big deal. I just prefer semi auto because a 17 rnd mag feels better to me than 5-6 shots. When it comes down to it - you better be damn sure you can take down a threat with those 5-6 shots. Even the best police officers only hit 50% of their shots in high stress situations. Keep that in mind for CCW or Home defense.

Here are what I consider to be staple firearms that every gun owner should have. Along with mags and ammo to back it up. Might be a good starting point. Others can chime in with their suggestions too. If you get the following - you would be set for just about any situation life could throw at you.

Ruger 10/22, Henry Cricket .22 or whatever .22 rifle you like...
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun *no pistol grips* (you can add a slug barrel for deer hunting if you wanted)
AR15/Mini 14/AK47/SKS
Ruger Mark III .22 pistol with a red dot, Walther P22, or Ruger SR22
Remington 700 or similar .308/.30-06, Mosin Nagant or Yugo Mauser if you want to do it cheap
Glock 17/19, Beretta 92FS, Ruger SR9 or similar 9mm
1911 or any semi auto .45
.357 or .38 special wheel gun
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #3022
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Figured I'd take a little time to share my collection.

First, I've got a Smith & Wesson Model 916A pump 20 gauge;

A no-name, single-shot 20 gauge. Seriously, not a brand or model number to be found. I actually prefer it to the pump. The thing is drop-dead reliable and I use it pretty hard for Ruffed Grouse hunting.

My beloved Savage Model 99E lever-action in .308.

A Henry lever-action .22. The thing is a blast to shoot. Holds 15 rounds and is hands-down the smoothest gun I own. Brings a smile to the face of everyone who shoots it.

And finally a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 that has spent 99% of its life in the center console of my Jeep. I like it, fun to shoot and comfortable to carry.

1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #3023
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:

I also really like this, what is it?

Its a Mossberg MVP. Bolt action, chambered in 5.56, but I obviously also shoot .223 through it.

Maybe its a marketing gimmick, but it uses AR magazines. Real nice being able to use detachable 5 10 or 20 round mags....or 30 or 40 or 100.

In the pic it has an SWFA SS 3-9x42mm scope, and a cheap caldwell bipod. Need to pick up a Harris.

It shoots. This was my first time with it at the bench. Need to get back out to that range, most of my shooting happens in the desert where i can go out to several hundred yards.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #3024
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Bought an old single shot 12 gauge for cheap cheap cheap, turned it into a truck gun. Took 9" off the barrel, 2" off the stock, made a sling and made a shell holder for it.

Here it is with my birds head Ruger Vaquero .357

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3025
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward

Don't be surprised if this kind of attitude gets a very cool reception.

It's attitudes like that that give responsible gun owners a bad name. Learn the ins and outs of cleaning, precision shooting, responsible handling, culture, etc. before you decide to just start grabbing "badass" phallic stand-ins.
I apologize if it sounded like I have a bad attitude about this. I consider myself a responsible gun user, and I do know how to handle and operate most firearms.
I failed to mention before that I have been shooting guns since I was 8 or 10. My brothers, father, and I used to go down to my great uncle's farm and shoot guns from his WWII collection every 4th of July. They made damn sure we knew our trigger discipline, don't aim at anything you don't mean to kill, etc.

The problem is that I don't know what gun is what, what guns use what rounds, or which gun is right for me and why. Therefore I'm starting with the only criteria I have: bad-*** level IE: marlin lever action and a revolver.
Quote:

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3026
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I apologize if it sounded like I have a bad attitude about this. I consider myself a responsible gun user, and I do know how to handle and operate most firearms.
I failed to mention before that I have been shooting guns since I was 8 or 10. My brothers, father, and I used to go down to my great uncle's farm and shoot guns from his WWII collection every 4th of July. They made damn sure we knew our trigger discipline, don't aim at anything you don't mean to kill, etc.

The problem is that I don't know what gun is what, what guns use what rounds, or which gun is right for me and why. Therefore I'm starting with the only criteria I have: bad-*** level IE: marlin lever action and a revolver.

Ammo size/calibre is the most confusing thing for me. How is a round measured? What does 9mm, .17 hmr, 17x.685r and 40 calibre mean?
Don't let anybody tell you not to like what you like.

If you like wheel guns and lever actions, for whatever reason, get one. Who cares if the reason is you think its cool and you saw it in the movies, or your favorite great uncle used to own one, or whatever.

The reasoning doesn't matter. The safe and responsible handling of said firearms does.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #3027
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Youtube is a good place for reviews and info.
Hickock45 is one of my favorites. His videos are just more or less shooting videos, but there is some educational values in there at least! The guy is one hell of a shot though!

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #3028
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Eh, I just reread what I wrote and I realize I probably came off a little bit as a dick, ha ha. Sorry about that.

I actually started in the same situation as you. Had shot for years with scouts and my brother-in-law's vast arsenal, but didn't know anything more than basic cartridges.

I originally wanted my first firearm to be a deer rifle, but cooler heads talked me out of it. Definitely start with either a Ruger 10/22 or a lever-action Henry or Marlin. *Dang* those little suckers are fun.

What you get after that really depends on circumstances.

Will it be for hunting? Hunting what? At what range? In what terrain?

For self defense? Concealed carry or no? Anyone with smaller hands who should also be able to shoot it? What's your personal style?

etc. etc.

I've only got my Marlin 39a

and my Winchester Model 94 Carbine 30-30 lever action

but I'm in the same boat of hoping to add some sort of revolver (still deciding cartridge) and, to round things out and probably for dove season, a versatile shotgun.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #3029
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Its a Mossberg MVP. Bolt action, chambered in 5.56.
I know what gun ill be buying this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Hickock45 is one of my favorites. His videos are just more or less shooting videos, but there is some educational values in there at least! The guy is one hell of a shot though!
Im a TNP'er, Nutnfancy does an overkill job of explaining a gun... I mean damn, most of his gun reviews last 45 minutes lol. Hickock45 seems like he would be a great range buddy, I like that he isnt an elitist about guns.

Staying on topic:
WASR10 with Russian internals and furniture. Maxpedition Vulture II is my new bug out bag/Jeep bag.

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #3030
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
I've only got my Marlin 39a

and my Winchester Model 94 Carbine 30-30 lever action

but I'm in the same boat of hoping to add some sort of revolver (still deciding cartridge) and, to round things out and probably for dove season, a versatile shotgun.
Nice. I really like both of those. What ammo do they shoot?
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.