Should I worry about building a house? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Should I worry about building a house?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #31
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H's Jeeps

I kinda like my special deal.
so, you have it all worked out?

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I have it all quoted. Going to the bank tomorrow.
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #33
Willys2TJ

Quote:
I don't think your full of BS I think your an A**. .

Now I'm hurt.

But if you're doing that much subcontracting on your own and you'll still have $83/sf in it.....be sure and have the industrial strength vaseline ready.
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #34
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys2TJ
Now I'm hurt.

But if you're doing that much subcontracting on your own and you'll still have $83/sf in it.....be sure and have the industrial strength vaseline ready.

I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about. I would like to see a better deal on a stickbuilt home.
My Jeep
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #35
Jeepster55

if you're on property that's been in your family for years, BUILD AWAY!!! but if you're looking for a new home in a new subdivision, i would suggest you purchase an existing home.

homes in the 'vinyl villages' will DEPRECIATE for the first 5-7 years and THEN start appreciating in value. this has unfortunately become a more recent trend due to the number of homes that have been recently constructed and are now be foreclosed.

right now you can get a great deal on an existing home.......it's a 'Buyers Market"
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #36
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of houses for sale in town around here, but they are mostly all junk. Plus I really don't want to live in town again. But there are no houses for sale in the country around here so the only option is to build or keep renting this hole i live in. The housing situation here can't be really compared to what is going on in the city.
My Jeep
Unread 01-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #37
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're right. Your deal is special just like your new modular. No others like it in the world. The dealer isn't going to put it up your a$$.

But as an appraiser, I've seen them do it to every other modular buyer in the past 20 years that I've been in business. These dealers work on huge margins on the units and then charge about 30-40% profit on setup, driveway, septic, wells, foundations, etc. But you obviously are getting a special deal and you will be happy the rest of your life, that is, until you try to sell it. But you plan to live there forever (I've never heard that one before ) so it doesn't matter.

You think I'm full of BS so go ahead. I'll guarantee you that the only way the deal will work is because they will "conveniently" set you up with their own lender. (They also make money on your financing thru kickbacks.)

You asked for opinions; you got mine. Now go ahead and buy the modular and live happily ever after. Just don't be surprised that when you refinance someday, you'll discover that its worth about 80% of what you have invested.
In my area (country) modulars do well, do not confuse them with a manufactured. The dealer did not set it up, they only offered that for manufactured homes not modular, I had to hire a contractor. The modulars in my area, insure and appraise the same as sight built, manufactured won't.. Modulars are stick built, manufactured will be on a metal frame and have a vin #. I have sight stick built and a modular. They comp out the same. Modular are stick built just built off sight. I sell real estate in my area the listing ask if its manufactured, not modular under type of construction. I have refinesed it, my costs to build where 200,000 including land. appraisal was 265,000 including land. My home is on a walk out basement.

The quaility of constructin in my modular is far higher than my site built. The person I used for my home spections also gives high praise for modular.

Another thing to think about is when people bid on building a home it is usually 2x4 constructions, r-13 insilation in the wall. Most modular homes are 2x6 with R19 insulation in the walls. Many of them will quailify for tax breaks becasue of the extra inulation and windows. All this can be done on a site built but your bids won't reflect that unless you inform you builder that is how you want to build and than the price will go up.

I recently got some bids for modulars for the land I own that I wat to devolp and sell, I was getting quotes for $110 a square foot. I can get sight built for less, at this point modular isn't worth it. When I bought my modular about 2 years ago I paid about half that.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar

Last edited by Ross; 01-25-2008 at 06:51 AM..
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #38
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK.....I see a lot of bickering here. I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. Their happens to be a rather large Modular home manufacturing plant here in the town where my office/plant is located. They are called Skyline homes. Known for their quality. You are very much right that it is code for them to be built with 2x6 exterior walls. Much better than the case in the 70's when they got away with 2x2 exterior walls. But know this. Those guys work on (Coach rate). Meaning. If they knock out 30 homes in a week they will make more money than if they only make 10. That being the case they are known to cut some conrners just to get them out the door. I'm only stating facts here don't get mad. But. What makes the modular business so good is when the loan rates are up high. They can get people with bad credit financed and for the same rate as the high intrest rates. But when the rates are low (like now) the people that are looking at them because of their bad credit can't get the low rates and still have to buy them at the higher rate thus their sales go down when rates are lower. Now......I've seen modular homes that show up in 6 different sections and when set on a foundation are well over 4000 sq ft. They are as nice as any stick built house out there. And look nothing like a typical modular. But those are 400,000$ houses. The resale on a modular is poor. Where a stick built home will gain in value in the same amount of time a modular will drop. They do trick them out now days with whirlpool baths etc. Just some info.........I'm not telling you what way to go only trying to educate you on what I know.
Todd
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #39
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

run this software and see where you come in at.
http://www.building-cost.net/
let us know the results...

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #40
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I higher my own contractor to do the basement, septic, water and driveway. OH yea I'm going through MY OWN bank to finance.
well, if U can do all that, then why not go owner/builder. U can sub out just about everything, and hire whoever U want. depending on the local codes and laws, should be a snap. You'd be the boss and have control over quality, a BIG plus! U have the land, so time is not important. plans for house's can be had anywhere, (I drew my own) and it would be something U can take pride in, since it would be what U want.

That's what I'd do! oh wait... I did!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #41
Willys2TJ

Quote:
I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about. I would like to see a better deal on a stickbuilt home.
Most stick-built homes cost more and at the same time they are a "better deal", considering that you're paying sightly more for a different, and most would agree, a better product, a better value. Cost is what you pay. Value is what you get. A deal is what you and the car (or trailer) salesman work out.

You could have saved some money and bought a Geo Tracker instead of a Jeep. Same concept. Just don't try to blow smoke up our azzez and tell us the Tracker is "just as good" as the Jeep, even if you paid too much for it.

Last edited by Willys2TJ; 01-25-2008 at 12:31 PM..
Willys2TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #42
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
run this software and see where you come in at.
http://www.building-cost.net/
let us know the results...

Total Cost $286,939.00

I don't think most of of you realize the type of area I live in. The big city rules and way of life don't exist here. There is no suburbia life where all the houses are 2 story and look alike. I'm not worried what the house will be worth in 15 year, cause I know it will be worth more, I know my area. ROSS is the only one who know the area and he is right mods do just as good as stick built. I still think most are thinking of manufactured not modular.
My Jeep
Unread 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #43
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most stick-built homes cost more and at the same time they are a "better deal", considering that you're paying sightly more for a different, and most would agree, a better product, a better value. Cost is what you pay. Value is what you get. A deal is what you and the car (or trailer) salesman work out.

You could have saved some money and bought a Geo Tracker instead of a Jeep. Same concept. Just don't try to blow smoke up our azzez and tell us the Tracker is "just as good" as the Jeep, even if you paid too much for it.

If you are an appraiser you should know that a modular home is considered a stick built home. A manufactured home is not.

Unread 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #44
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
OK.....I see a lot of bickering here. I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. Their happens to be a rather large Modular home manufacturing plant here in the town where my office/plant is located. They are called Skyline homes. Known for their quality. You are very much right that it is code for them to be built with 2x6 exterior walls. Much better than the case in the 70's when they got away with 2x2 exterior walls. But know this. Those guys work on (Coach rate). Meaning. If they knock out 30 homes in a week they will make more money than if they only make 10. That being the case they are known to cut some conrners just to get them out the door. I'm only stating facts here don't get mad. But. What makes the modular business so good is when the loan rates are up high. They can get people with bad credit financed and for the same rate as the high intrest rates. But when the rates are low (like now) the people that are looking at them because of their bad credit can't get the low rates and still have to buy them at the higher rate thus their sales go down when rates are lower. Now......I've seen modular homes that show up in 6 different sections and when set on a foundation are well over 4000 sq ft. They are as nice as any stick built house out there. And look nothing like a typical modular. But those are 400,000$ houses. The resale on a modular is poor. Where a stick built home will gain in value in the same amount of time a modular will drop. They do trick them out now days with whirlpool baths etc. Just some info.........I'm not telling you what way to go only trying to educate you on what I know.
Todd
Sky line build modualr and manufactors. They have a few plants. Does the one in you towmn build modular or manufactured.

Unread 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #45
Jeep@02
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of people don't realize there is a difference between a double-wide (manufactured HUD Code) and a Modular (BOCA Code). Banks, lenders, appraisers and your municipality will treat your modular home as a stick built home.
Jeep@02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.