Should I worry about building a house? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Should I worry about building a house?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
If you are looking in MO let me know.
Nope, I'm looking in Northwest AR, thanks though! We recently sold our family farm in Cassville MO, we had about 500 acres. We never used it then but I think these days we would have, I wish we had kept it!

88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
Try to keep it at 15 years if possible and no more than 25% of your take home pay.
25% - Thats not really possible in most areas these days.

31x10.5 BFG MT KM2
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
Nope, I'm looking in Northwest AR, thanks though! We recently sold our family farm in Cassville MO, we had about 500 acres. We never used it then but I think these days we would have, I wish we had kept it!
Pretty much anybody who had land will regret selling it at some point and time. I have about 21 acres and I love it, 500 would be great.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #19
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee
25% - Thats not really possible in most areas these days.
Yea, it will be more for me, but I've lived on a lot less so I'm not real worried.
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

As a General Contractor I can tell you that this is the best time to build a house I can ever think of. Rates are at an all time low (in my memory). Builders are siting on a ton of spec houses that they can't get sold since people are having a hard time selling their homes to buy the new ones. If you are doing a custom build meaning you go get a contractor and you pick your blueprints out. He builds it to what you want. You will get a great deal as there are a ton of contractors hurting for work right now. They will give you a good deal just to stay busy. I would suggest using these words when you deal with looking for a contractor. Tell them you want to build it "cost plus". This means. You agree on a number. Lets say 15 grand. That is what you will pay the contractor to bring in all the subs look over the job pull permits and build it under his lic. and insurance. Then he shows you every bill every bid etc. You get to pick from the subs tell him who you will and wont be using. YOu get to play contractor in a round about way. Then you know there are no hidden costs. You pick your fixtures etc. He gets his 15 grand and everyone is happy. PM me with any questions. This is something I know a lot about.

Todd
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, right now we are leaning towards a modular, so we have everything pretty much specced out the way we want it. Not counting the basement sqft its gonna run around $83 a sqft.
My Jeep
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go for it.

Did mine owner/builder about 22 years ago. Since I did most of the work myself... came out to 'bout $27 sq.ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #23
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
I'd go for it.

Did mine owner/builder about 22 years ago. Since I did most of the work myself... came out to 'bout $27 sq.ft.

Dang!!! If hadn't of been 2 yrs old at the time i would have built one too for that cheap!!
My Jeep
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you can afford it now... build it.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Willys2TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H's Jeeps
Thanks for the info, right now we are leaning towards a modular, so we have everything pretty much specced out the way we want it. Not counting the basement sqft its gonna run around $83 a sqft.
Its not a bad time to build.

Its not a good time to pay $83/SF for a modular. There will NEVER be a good time to pay $83/SF for a modular. Sorry. I've seen these people work and what they charge (overcharge). You'll have more in the property than its worth when complete.

DO NOT use their mortgage company or appraisers if you continue on this ill-conceived path. You absolutely WILL GET SCREWED.

Run like a scalded dog.

This is your final warning.
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #26
malone

$83 for a modular is TOO MUCH!! Shop around, I saved tons of money last year when I built meeting with many different builders. Good luck.
malone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #27
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How can you tell me 83 for a mod is to much? You know nothing about the specs of the mod I'm looking at. $83 is sitting on a full open ended basement. I've looked at ALOT of houses lately, and yes there is a big difference in houses, but the one I've found is 2X6 exterior walls and 2X10 floor joice. Its built to the same specs as my inlaws stickbuilt home.
My Jeep
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #28
malone

Quote:
How can you tell me 83 for a mod is to much? You know nothing about the specs of the mod I'm looking at. $83 is sitting on a full open ended basement. I've looked at ALOT of houses lately, and yes there is a big difference in houses, but the one I've found is 2X6 exterior walls and 2X10 floor joice. Its built to the same specs as my inlaws stickbuilt home.
I misunderstood, I thought $83 was without the foundation. I stickbuilt mine for just under $100 a sq ft.
malone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #29
Willys2TJ

Quote:
You're right. Your deal is special just like your new modular. No others like it in the world. The dealer isn't going to put it up your a$$.

But as an appraiser, I've seen them do it to every other modular buyer in the past 20 years that I've been in business. These dealers work on huge margins on the units and then charge about 30-40% profit on setup, driveway, septic, wells, foundations, etc. But you obviously are getting a special deal and you will be happy the rest of your life, that is, until you try to sell it. But you plan to live there forever (I've never heard that one before ) so it doesn't matter.

You think I'm full of BS so go ahead. I'll guarantee you that the only way the deal will work is because they will "conveniently" set you up with their own lender. (They also make money on your financing thru kickbacks.)

You asked for opinions; you got mine. Now go ahead and buy the modular and live happily ever after. Just don't be surprised that when you refinance someday, you'll discover that its worth about 80% of what you have invested.
Unread 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #30
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think your full of BS I think your an A**. But thats my opinion now isn't it. You have NO idea what kinda deal I'm getting or what I'm buying. You have NO idea how I live or what my plan is the rest of MY life.

I higher my own contractor to do the basement, septic, water and driveway. OH yea I'm going through MY OWN bank to finance. So you obviously have NO idea what you are talking about..there's my opinion.

I kinda like my special deal.
My Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.