should I keep the full steel doors or the half doors or both???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > should I keep the full steel doors or the half doors or both????

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
asjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

should I keep the full steel doors or the half doors or both????

Howdy all,

I just bought a 02 TJ it has the half doors (tops as well) and they are factory color (amber fire or whatever it is called)

Anyways The PO also bought a set of blue full steel doors and hand painted them to match (i think he needs his eyes checked if he thought they matched)

so should I keep the full steel doors and have them repainted and sell the half doors

or

keep the half doors and sell the full steel doors

or keep both sets

Also if i decide to sell any of them what would be a fair price to ask?

TIA

WWW.IDRIVEAJEEP.COM
asjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well i am a full steel door owner.. and im killing to find the half doors i want.. hard to find black half doors with dark slate interior panels . I look at it as full steel doors for winter, half doors for summer. If the weather is that way of course..

(In washington our winters are cold as can be and the summers get pretty darn hot, so we get the best of both worlds)
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
ayeohellucks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

keep the full steel doors.. they are expensive, plus its nice having the extra security.
ayeohellucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a completely personal thing, some people really prefer one over the other. My suggestion is to run each set for a few days and see what you do and dont like about them. For what it's worth, I have full doors and wouldn't ever trade them for half's. I like have real windows, I hated looking through the vinyl ones all the time in the one I test drove that was half doors and I'm always rolling down my windows so they would just get bothersome. As for the summer, the doors are almost never on my jeep if it once the average daily high is above about 65 so they are in the garage anyway. Just try em out and see which ones YOU like.
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
This is a completely personal thing, some people really prefer one over the other. My suggestion is to run each set for a few days and see what you do and dont like about them... Just try em out and see which ones YOU like.
Completely agree.

I'd love a set of half doors, but would never trade them for my fulls. It seems like the old "grass is greener" situation. People who have fulls want halfs, people with halfs want fulls. You just have the best of both!
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
deltabravo

being a Washington Jeeper, I like my full doors for winter snow runs, and my aftermarket half doors for summer runs. That probaby holds true for Colorado as well...

It's nice to be able to poke by head out, and lean way over (the half doors are shorter than the window sill of a full door) to check my line going around or over an obstacle with the front left tire.)

Full doors will be much more comfortable in the winter in CO. (less noise, holds in the heat better)

I say, if you have room to store the set not being used, KEEP THEM BOTH!!
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You live in DENVER. Wait until December to make that call. The doors will be worth more then if you decide to get rid of them. (Which I dont think you will)
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
AZTJ02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive got both, I use the full doors/hardtop/ac for 3 months in the summer.. The rest of the year, half doors/bikini top.
AZTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the full doors and sold them, but that's just me. It was mostly due to moving into a building and knowing I'd never go doorless with the multiple elevator trips to bring them inside. I agree to try them both. One option is the sliders on top of your half doors. You could use the money from the fulls for them as they full doors (In perfect condition) should sell for 1200+ (although having them painted a random color might hurt that).

I vote for selling the full doors and using the money to buy soft full doors and upper sliders for your half doors. Then you will be set. Anyway, that's what I did.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
MuckerPie

i would trade ur black full doors for my half doors!
MuckerPie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
MuckerPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
Well i am a full steel door owner.. and im killing to find the half doors i want.. hard to find black half doors with dark slate interior panels . I look at it as full steel doors for winter, half doors for summer. If the weather is that way of course..

(In washington our winters are cold as can be and the summers get pretty darn hot, so we get the best of both worlds)
is it a tj u have. i have black half doors. and will trade for ur full black doors
MuckerPie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
Nevam
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the OP has amber colored full doors and not black??

Anyway, I think the half doors look more like the classic Jeep. With that being said, I prefer the full doors or none at all.

It's really personal preference. I'd do as said above and try them both for a little while. You may prefer one over the other or you may just want to keep both sets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjeep View Post
so should I keep the full steel doors and have them repainted and sell the half doors
or
keep the half doors and sell the full steel doors
or keep both sets
Only YOU can decide that.

Past Jeeps:
'95 ZJ Laredo - '98 ZJ Limited - '01 WJ Limited
'06 TJ Rubicon - '89 YJ Islander
- '01 TJ Sahara
'98 TJ SE
Nevam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 02:04 AM   #13
GoldenP51
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTJ02 View Post
Ive got both, I use the full doors/hardtop/ac for 3 months in the summer.. The rest of the year, half doors/bikini top.
That's nice...normally it is the opposite :P Can't wait to move down to AZ this summer.

As for the doors...if you can afford to have both of em why not?
GoldenP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #14
TJCeeJay
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Paint the full doors to match properly and KEEP them. Anything can happen, you might be off roading and bash a door on a tree or rock. One set might rust out. Someone might steal the doors off your jeep. Anything can happen that might have you wishin' that you'd kept those doors. Man! If I had A set of both full AND half doors I be as happy as a pig in . Plus, being able to roll your windows up is a nice feature once in a while.
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #15
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Keep them both! I have full doors and soft half doors. Winter is so much better with the full doors and I run the half doors in the summer and on trails.

Or if you want I could trade you my soft doors for your half doors!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.