Should A 10-Year-Old Be Allowed to Play MW2? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Should A 10-Year-Old Be Allowed to Play MW2?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Should A 10-Year-Old Be Allowed to Play MW2?

My younger brother has a PlayStation 3, and my mom wants to buy him Modern Warfare 2. Not only that, but now she wants me to allow him to connect to my wireless internet so he can play online. I think she's insane. I'm a Xbox360 guy, but I can't imagine the experience being much different. He has CoD: World at War, which he plays offline. That game at least has a content filter that hides the blood and gore. MW2 in my opinion, is much worse, for a young kid to be playing. What is the PS3 online experience like? I know on Xbox 360, he would get verbally assaulted and exposed to words he shouldn't hear for another 5 years.

Should he be allowed to play PlayStation 3 ONLINE at all?

Is there anyway to disable online voice chat if he were to do so?

Do you think he should he be allowed to play MW2 under any circumstances?

Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

My little brother is 11. My parents let him play, but they dont let him play online. He did just tell me that there is a way to make it so when you die money comes out of you instead of blood. But he seems fine playing the game. he plays it all the time, just not online
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

It depends on the kid... MY kids? wont see anything like this till they are at least 14ish...

I just got MW for the Wii, and even that, I wont play when any of my kids are even awake.

My wife's little brother is now 11, and that dang kid has seen and done more in his little bad*** life than most highschoolers...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would say no to online. That's too much. I wouldn't have any problem with the game. My 10 year old cousin got it for xmas from his parents and they made him realize that its just a game.
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't allow my child to play it. At some point they will do what they want, but not at 10. They should be outside playing anyways.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would say playing the game online would be better for him then the actual game(as in going through the ligit game), but only if you can turn off the sound.

There is a lot less blood and gore this way, but the kids who have headsets for ps3 are just the same as xbox.
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

There must be a setting that I don't know about. When I die online money fly’s everywhere. I thought it was because I was a mercenary . But I think if the parents keep his headset and lets him play it wouldn't be any worse than the single player. I never use my headset and have my TV volume on zero. I have kids and usually have to play late at night so I don't want to wake everyone.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
CMEvans79
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nothing is more annoying that a 10yo on MW2! Im a 360 guy as well, but the last thing we need is more kids on MW2. For one, it is a violent game. For two, their voices are annoying, and for 3 they beat the crap out of me!!! LOL... but seriously, I dont think it is a good game for kids under 13 and that's pushing it ... it is rated MATURE for a reason.
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
CMEvans79
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XGore View Post
There must be a setting that I don't know about. When I die online money fly’s everywhere. I thought it was because I was a mercenary . But I think if the parents keep his headset and lets him play it wouldn't be any worse than the single player. I never use my headset and have my TV volume on zero. I have kids and usually have to play late at night so I don't want to wake everyone.
When you die online and money flyes everywhere its because you had killed that person before and they are getting payback.
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEvans79 View Post
When you die online and money flyes everywhere its because you had killed that person before and they are getting payback.
Oh, there is so much that I don't know about that game. I'm not a big gammer. I don't have much time for it, but I do like killing people every now and then.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Walker View Post
Should he be allowed to play PlayStation 3 ONLINE at all? Depends on the game, MW2 unflitered:no

Is there anyway to disable online voice chat if he were to do so?
Yes, my friend did it to his younger brothers

Do you think he should he be allowed to play MW2 under any circumstances?
IMO, no, but at least make sure you block out the airport mission.
My friends younger brother ended up getting real into COD3 on PS2, and was talking to people he met in the game over the phone. Because of that his chat was disabled, and my friend forgot the password, so 4-5 years later, he can't re-enable it.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
It depends on the kid... MY kids? wont see anything like this till they are at least 14ish...

I just got MW for the Wii, and even that, I wont play when any of my kids are even awake.

My wife's little brother is now 11, and that dang kid has seen and done more in his little bad*** life than most highschoolers...
This is the truth of it...it really is. I got metal of honor front line...(the first legit WW2 game) when i was like 8, I shot my dads 12 gauge when i was 10
(it was taller then me). It all comes down to, is you brother responsible and grown up for his age. I was so i got most of the things i wanted 22 rifle when i was 11, compound bow at 13, bought this i wanted with my own money. i learned a lot through all this, given the responsibilities.

As long as he knows hes killin terrorists ...why not?
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was playing Grand Theft Auto (the original you tools) at age ten, and look how I turned out
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you voiced your concerns with your mom? Seems like something you should take up with your parents. You'll come across as the responsible older brother to them, but a **** head to your little brother. Win some lose some.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Absolutely not. Im 20 and I play all these games, like COD4, COD W@W, MW2, MAG, GTA IV, and many others and there is no way that I would see it right letting little kids hear or see the stuff that goes on one those games. You walk through a mall mowing down civilians with a 249 for christs sake. No little kid should see that or do it. it even disturbed me a little bit that I had fun doing it. lol
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.