septic tank questions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > septic tank questions?

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Too much water can ruin you're septic system as well. Many a septic system have been ruined by running the clotheswasher round the clock.

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If solids make it to the leach field pumping the septic tank won't help. I suppose if you pump it in time you could keep solids from the field. Anything that is solid and floats will quickly make it to your leach field.

According to our local septic guy Charmin and baby wipes, that are not septic approved, will plug up a leach field quicker than about anything else.
Yep, you shouldn't flush anything other than toilet paper and human waste, if you wish to keep your septic system in good working order. Like I said, tampons and condoms can be a killer.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Yep, you shouldn't flush anything other than toilet paper and human waste, if you wish to keep your septic system in good working order. Like I said, tampons and condoms can be a killer.
Even then make sure it is septic approved. You also have to remember that if you are on a septic your sinks drain to the septic also. From what I understand cooking oil and grease aren't good for the septic either.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You also have to remember that if you are on a septic your sinks drain to the septic also. From what I understand cooking oil and grease aren't good for the septic either.
Yep...mentioned that earlier too. Thank goodness I'm on city sewer....we're free to flush everything!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Having a separate gray water system is an added expense, but can save your septic system.
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Yep...mentioned that earlier too. Thank goodness I'm on city sewer....we're free to flush everything!
The sewer people would still like it if you didn't flush baby wipes, condoms, grease, etc. down the drain as it does clog up the lines. There was a story from Europe not to long ago of a big ball of grease and what not stuck in a main line.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Having a separate gray water system is an added expense, but can save your septic system.
Do you run a seperate leach field for that the same as a regular system?

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858

The sewer people would still like it if you didn't flush baby wipes, condoms, grease, etc. down the drain as it does clog up the lines. There was a story from Europe not to long ago of a big ball of grease and what not stuck in a main line.
The only thing you should ever flush is tp. Anything else messes with the machines and screens. Same with with putting stuff in manhole covers, or storm drains depending where you live.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
= implied sarcasm.

Unread 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
fundabug

Quote:
I ran a grey water line at my house so that the only thing going in my septic tank is toilet yuck. I just ran it out to the nearest ditch. just put it out far enough that you don't have a soapy wet spot in the middle of your yard. I'm not 100% sure how legal it is, but nobody has ever comes out to my neck of the woods to complain about it. After all it's just dirty dishwater and laundry water.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundabug View Post
I ran a grey water line at my house so that the only thing going in my septic tank is toilet yuck. I just ran it out to the nearest ditch. just put it out far enough that you don't have a soapy wet spot in the middle of your yard. I'm not 100% sure how legal it is, but nobody has ever comes out to my neck of the woods to complain about it. After all it's just dirty dishwater and laundry water.
Even in my area of no building codes and about as much freedom as the US offers that is completely wrong and illegal.

In my area if you have 3 acres I can have a lagoon. Basically a shallow hole where my (completely on your property) were all my sewage goes. Mother Nature does work.

The only requirement is my sewage (of any type) cannot flow off my property.

I have built two homes in my county and have other land I will build on. When I talked to the health department the only advice they gave me was if you keep it on your property (3 acres or more) and nobody complains we don't care. The second some complains we will check on it. The second it leaves your land we promise you we will prosecute to the full extent of the law.

Unread 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Separate, usually. No tank, just run right to a distribution box.

Most household laundry/dish detergents are non-issues for the environment in the usual quantities.
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Separate, usually. No tank, just run right to a distribution box.

Most household laundry/dish detergents are non-issues for the environment in the usual quantities.
Agreed, but any runoff from your home septic, regardless of what it is, that drains into the wrong place can cause you problems.

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Agreed, but any runoff from your home septic, regardless of what it is, that drains into the wrong place can cause you problems.
Especially if you and your neighbors are on well water. Ecoli anybody?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.