septic tank questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > septic tank questions?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

septic tank questions?

I haven't pulled the lid to check the fullness of the tank yet(will do that after work today), but I might be having an issue with my 2 year old septic system.

On Friday night, and into Saturday, we got around 6" of snow. I got closer to 8" covering my yard because of how it falls in over the trees.
Anyway, I was walking across the yard last night(Monday), and noticed that most of the snow had melted around the septic tank lid. When I went over to take a closer look, I noticed that the ground was really wet and "squishy" around the lid.

I did a little looking online, and I believe the melting of the snow is normal, especially with how shallow my tank is. However, what I'm not sure about is weather or not the ground should be so soft.

The drains in the house are all working fine, and there is no odor around the tank, but I don't think the amount of snow melted should have made the ground "that soft". I am planning to pull the lid tonight to check the level inside the tank; Just wandering if I should be preparing for a big repair bill, or you think everything is normal??

Unread 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its melting is normal mine also does it. Mine doesn't get super wet but it is wet. I think its because there is so little dirt over the tank that the ground can't absorb all the water.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Poop is warm! You are fine.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

If nothing has backed up into the house id say youre good
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Ever look at a man hole cover in the street it's the last place the snow sticks. Poop is warm, and as it decomposes it generates heat. Believe me if you stepped in it and it was squishy and didn't stink I'm willing to bet you ok, if it was over flowing you'd know it lol
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would go ahead and pull the lid off, stick your head down there and take a big sniff, just in case.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
sieg
2008 JK Wrangler 

You do not have a problem. It's thawed and soggy near the tank, frozen everywhere else so the rest of the ground is not absorbing the moisture. Forget about it.
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

After two years your tank is going to be "full"....sooner actually. The tank fills, with water, not solids, then the water goes into your field tile. The solids break down, if the tank if working properly, but not 100%, that's why you should have your tank pumped like every three years. If the solids don't break down, because you pour grease/oil down the drain, or let condoms or tampons get flushed, they could make their way into your field,clogging it, causing your tank to back up and into your house. Checking your tanks in/out lines once a year to make sure they're clear is pretty easy. But as others have said unless the soggy ground you stepped in smells like sewage, it's just thawed ground, caused by the heat coming from the tank.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
you should have your tank pumped like every three years.
Never pump the tank in the fall/winter. Always pump it in the spring, unless it is an emergency. Then only pump 1/2 of it. You need the heat from the decomposing solids to keep it warm. If you pump it dry during winter, it will freeze up and then you'll have a bigger mess.
ScruffMcGruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

I have a tank as well with about a foot or two of dirt on top of it , its never been wet so it sounds almost like a septic field (tubes coming off the main tank)issue to me.
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, for now at least, I think everything is working properly.
I pulled the lid on the tank, and yes, the tank is full of liquid, but is not overflowing. It was dark out, and I had to use a mirror and flash light to see anything, but the liquid level in the tank appears to be about even with the tank outlet.

I believe it's just a "thawed from the heat" issue. The top of the tank is only about 4 to 6 inches down, so there's not much above it to absorb the moisture from the melted snow.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As long as the water level isn't above the inlet it's not backed up. Come spring I'd have it pumped, and do so every 3 years....it'll keep you problem free.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

A properly working septic system should not have to be pumped out. However many septics are old, and the leech fields get clogged so the tank cannot drain properly. Also many tanks break so they end up not draining into the field etc.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
A properly working septic system should not have to be pumped out. However many septics are old, and the leech fields get clogged so the tank cannot drain properly. Also many tanks break so they end up not draining into the field etc.
You don't have to pump them empty but pumping out the solids once every three years will keep you trouble free for a very long time.....maybe forever. Solids in your drain tile is what kills the system.

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
You don't have to pump them empty but pumping out the solids once every three years will keep you trouble free for a very long time.....maybe forever. Solids in your drain tile is what kills the system.
If solids make it to the leach field pumping the septic tank won't help. I suppose if you pump it in time you could keep solids from the field. Anything that is solid and floats will quickly make it to your leach field.

According to our local septic guy Charmin and baby wipes, that are not septic approved, will plug up a leach field quicker than about anything else.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.