Separation between Church and State - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Separation between Church and State

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 12-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
RWB214

Separation between Church and State

Is anyone else sick of hearing all the right-wing politicians trying to make the next election a religious issue? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071230/...kabee_religion

According to John McCain, the Constitution established the United States as a "Christian nation." http://www.wibw.com/news/headlines/12925887.html

I wouldn't vote for anyone who is promoting any religion. Government shouldn't be influenced by that.

RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I agree...you should get rid of everything issued by the government that makes any reference to God and send it to me. What you have laying around that says "In God We Trust" and stuff like that...
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What we need to do is ban Christians from holding any political office! Of course we should have started with our founding fathers, like Patrick Henry who said, “It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ.” For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here. [May 1765 Speech to the House of Burgesses]

And don't forget guys like James Madison in 1778 to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia who said, “We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.”

And also that trouble maker George Washington, who during his inauguration, took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

How dare they!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Last edited by grogie; 12-30-2007 at 08:23 PM..
grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What annoys me is the misinterpretation of seperation of Church and State. This term was meant to clarify our Gub'ment could not impose a specific religion upon its citizens. People are free to worship as they wish. Hence, the term seperation of Church and State. It was not meant to remove God from everything within the borders of the U.S. This country was founded on religious principles. I do not attend church, and I am not really a religious person, but I get tired of every whiny piss ant who is offended by the word "God" thinking he can use seperation as a reason to impose his will. It has gotten to where the offended minority in the country dictate what happens to the majority.

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

It amazes me that there are still antidisestablishmentarians around today. We have a secular government as we well should, and it should stay that way. We can not have an official religion in this country, and to think we should is asinine.

That being said a candidate having religious beliefs has nothing to do with the separation of church and state, so I don't understand your topic title.

I hate the referencing of quotes from over 100 years ago when talking about modern day issues. Trying to apply those type of quotes to todays arguments is kind of stupid, regardless of who said them. Yeah we get that this country was founded by Christians but what difference does that make? Atheists, Agnostics, modern scientists and a vast population containing a multitude of religious and spiritual beliefs were virtually non-existent during the years of George Washington. Different times and different people.
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33
It amazes me that there are still antidisestablishmentarians around today. We have a secular government as we well should, and it should stay that way. We can not have an official religion in this country, and to think we should is asinine.

That being said a candidate having religious beliefs has nothing to do with the separation of church and state, so I don't understand your topic title.

I hate the referencing of quotes from over 100 years ago when talking about modern day issues. Trying to apply those type of quotes to todays arguments is kind of stupid, regardless of who said them. Yeah we get that this country was founded by Christians but what difference does that make? Atheists, Agnostics, modern scientists and a vast population containing a multitude of religious and spiritual beliefs were virtually non-existent during the years of George Washington. Different times and different people.
Yeah, we don't need those Christians and their dangerous ideas anymore do we?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
BLS33

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
Yeah, we don't need those Christians and their dangerous ideas anymore do we?

So I take it you want a Christian theocracy? The moral code of this country should not be derived from a religion, much of what is in the bible goes against my personal beliefs, so how would it be fair to me and many others to have the guidelines taken from the bible used in our government?
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't say that, nor did our founding fathers. I just find it amazing how the left's tolerance ends when it comes to Christians. Everyone is okay and everything that they want to do, but no Christians!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 12-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy
I agree...you should get rid of everything issued by the government that makes any reference to God and send it to me. What you have laying around that says "In God We Trust" and stuff like that...
and everyone else who feels that way can send theirs to me

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
BLS33

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
I didn't say that, nor did our founding fathers. I just find it amazing how the left's tolerance ends when it comes to Christians. Everyone is okay and everything that they want to do, but no Christians!

That's because Christians push their beliefs on others constantly, and the Christian faith more so than any other has influence on governmental policy. I tolerate pretty much every faith, I can't think of one I don't, but I don't think any should influence policy. I think it is safe to say many of the founding fathers weren't model Christians as well .
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's because Christians push their beliefs on others constantly, and the Christian faith more so than any other has influence on governmental policy. I tolerate pretty much every faith, I can't think of one I don't, but I don't think any should influence policy. I think it is safe to say many of the founding fathers weren't model Christians as well .
People are people, no matter what their beliefs are. I'll admit there are some real nuts in society, religious or not. But if some politician wants to talk about Jesus and that he reads the Bible, live with it. If his morality offends you, there are always the Clintons to vote for.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Which Christians are threatening us with our lives if we don't become Christians?

Which Christians are trying to establish religous law like Sharia law?

Which Christians are killing innocent people in the name of their religion?

Which Christians are invading 3rd world nations in Africa and are killing hundreds of thousands of people of other faiths?

Which Christians knocked down skyscrapers in the name of their religion?

Your idea of "pushing beliefs" on people is pretty distorted. Christians have the same free speech you have. You have the same right to not listen as the next guy.
Texan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
Indy

Quote:
goes against my personal beliefs, so how would it be fair to me and many others to have the guidelines taken from the bible used in our government?

Curious what kind of examples you could provide.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
bobjp

Separation of church and state was meant to keep the state out of the church not the church out of the state. Furthermore, these people aren't elected yet sooooo they really aren't a part of the "state (as president)."

Like it or not, religion has always been a part of politics, and this country was built on christian ideals. How long have you been asleep?

Do you think political speeches or politics in general are anything more than opinions? There are people who have run for president with much more radical views than christianity. If you don't agree you just don't support them.
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

In a nation where everything is based on majority rule why is it so hard for people to understand why the beliefs of Christians are the ones that are most followed in policy. Christians make up over 75% of the population. Yep they are the majority so until another religious group gets the majority then the Christian way is going to be the basis for the nations politics and way of doing things.

I am not saying you have to like it or even accept it but sadly that is the way it is.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.