senior in highschool needs advice about life - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > senior in highschool needs advice about life

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
Not knowing what you want to be at 18 isn't unusual. Not everybody is cut out or wants to be in the military, so that is not always the answer. After highschool, my parents wanted me to go right into college, but did not pressure me. I elected to take a year off, even though most people say that is a bad idea. I worked a dead end job for a year and got a taste of the "real world" and decided I had to do more with my life. I enrolled in community college the next year and still didn't know what I wanted to do, so I basically killed a year in liberal arts. By the end of that first year, I knew what I wanted to be and then got a degree in that field. I've been employed in my chosen field for 18 years now.
What's the first thing a Lib Arts major says after graduation?

You want fries with that?

Unread 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if i thought i had the drive to go back to college after taking a year off i would, but i think if i get out of the routine of school and get out on my own i wont want to go back. i feel like if i dont decide what to do now, i will end up working a dead end job, not happy and clueless. even if i went to a comunity college, at least that would be a start and i could get my basics out of the way and still have time to think of a major. and if i went to the military, i would have a job, and the opportunity to go to school. for free. which is a huge deciding factor in what i decide.
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
zaxrubiunl
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
When I was your age, and had no clue what to do, I left home. And drove. I went to all these places I never seen before. It was great. One day I came home, and was at a gas station, saw some friends and they said "hey, were going to colorado right now, wanna go" Brought my car home, and jumped in with them. Two years later I came back. All the time in between, I didnt need a watch, would always forget what day it was. I was broke, homeless, had nothing to lose.....but I was 100% free. And I can never feel that way ever again. No need to give your life to the corp cause your not sure of what to do. What im sayin is, why do you need a plan? Your 18. Act like it, and enjoy it while you can. Thats what I would do, go see America before you cant. Youll find out where you want to live which is most important, than all you gotta do is figure out how to stay there. (edit - i was really 17, the youngest kid in class) What brought me home, .....well.....what brought me home is 13 and calls me daddy.
classic answer ! i agree totally wish i had the chance to do the same, had too much irresponsible fun & had to grow up quick for a parenthood!
zaxrubiunl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I never joined but considering the amount of time I wasted after highschool trying to figure out what I wanted to do I could have joined, served, gone to school and gotten out.

My life has turned out great but it could have gotten started a lot sooner if I had been on the ball.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxrubiunl View Post
classic answer ! i agree totally wish i had the chance to do the same, had too much irresponsible fun & had to grow up quick for a parenthood!
If I could only go back to being 17 again.............

These threads truly, truly make me sad. But at the same time, realization of how lucky life can turn a person.

OP - The year off thing, like posted above, might be a good idea. That was my plan, for ME it was a bad idea. I never went to college after taking my "year off". For xxxflhrci it worked.
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I never joined but considering the amount of time I wasted after highschool trying to figure out what I wanted to do I could have joined, served, gone to school and gotten out.

My life has turned out great but it could have gotten started a lot sooner if I had been on the ball.
You could also be dead. Which would put you pretty far behind the ball, no?
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can always go to college for a year, or go for two and get your associates degree, and then join if you don't really like what college has to offer you.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
You could also be dead. Which would put you pretty far behind the ball, no?
There was no actual war going on in 1978. But I could get hit by a bus today, or fall off a bar stool.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There was no actual war going on in 1978. But I could get hit by a bus today, or fall off a bar stool.
LOL, true!!

But valid point for kids today, "Didnt know what to do, joined the military" then never came home. Even friends I have that didnt get killed, arent the same. And the two people I know with kills, they never were able to recover from what they saw and did. The military has a ton of great great options for kids, but a ton of bad ones also, like dying.
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
THISISWEIRD

Go on a NOLS trip. It helped me a great deal in trying to figure out my life.
NOLS - National Outdoor Leadership School
THISISWEIRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #26
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I wish I could go back to being 18 again! Here I am a quarter century later, stuck in a dead end job with a family to support, wishing I could make different choices than the ones I did. My advice would be to go for the military, but make sure you get some training or education that you can use in the outside world. If you decide the military isn't for you, then get an education!!!! That doesn't nessecarily mean a 4 year college degree-there's still lots of good trade schools out there. But with only a HS diploma you'll spend your life rowing upstream with only 1 oar.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THISISWEIRD View Post
Go on a NOLS trip. It helped me a great deal in trying to figure out my life.
NOLS - National Outdoor Leadership School
thank you for the link. does anyone else have a link i can go to and read? or know of an organization for people in situations like me that i could maybe inquire about help?
Unread 01-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
What's the first thing a Lib Arts major says after graduation?

You want fries with that?

My Engineering Econ Proff told us that the other day...

But you're going to have to figure out what suits you best. A lot of people don't know what they want to do right out of High School. I do (well think I do, lol), and am going with it. But I can also still do an MBA or go to Law School post graduation and expand my horizons and what I can do.

The Military isn't for everyone - just know that once you sign on the dotted line, you're committed. If you really have no clue, I wouldn't sign. Maybe try taking some general education classes and some of the Orientation classes for a few Majors and see what fits you best. You can also try talking to some academic advisors (High School, College), or even talk to some people in the fields that interest you. Ask to maybe spend a day on the job with them.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
zaxrubiunl
2006 LJ Wrangler 

if i could do it again , some form of medical school ! RN @ least ,job in demand +meet alot of hotties !
zaxrubiunl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #30
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The Air Force offers an accredited correspondence school (Community College of the Air Force) that can get you up to a BA/BS (at least!) while you're serving. I really wish I'd done that...

You can also get credit for military service when going to a civ college (I did,) and I don't suggest to anyone that they go right into college fresh out of high school. Take a year or two off, go out and work full-time, and see what life will be like. You'll be more motivated in college (even as a civvy,) and you'll get more out of it.

I've been to college twice (I didn't graduate either time, for good reason,) once during high school (I enlisted right out of HS) and I went back in my 30's (once I knew what I wanted to get out of it - but I got clobbered and haven't been able to go back.) Both times I paid my own way, or secured grants to pay for me - but I did all the work myself, which is one Hell of a motivator to do well! Getting the Board of Governors waiver also helped (brought college down to about $60/quarter,) and keeping good grades was required for that. No trouble.

And, I was consistently able to carry at least half again the load of my classmates (generally right out of HS,) while caring for my infirm mother-in-law, and trying to run a small business and write a book (to help pay for college.) Motivation - six years in AFSOC will teach you motivation you simply cannot get in the civilian world (but you can get in any branch of the military.) The reason I haven't been back to school hasn't been a lack of motivation - I'd love to go back. It's neurological complications from having gotten hit by a car (again!) four years and change ago. It takes me longer than they'd allow for me to learn anything new, so I have to learn at my own pace.

Having a DD214 can get you in the door on quite a few things - and, if you've got an idea what direction you'd like, see if you can't get started on that while you're in. You'll get experience (which you don't get in college,) which also looks good on a resume.

Homeless isn't fun (not for the four months it was happening to me...) but motivation got me back out of it. Learning to work before going to school helps that - even if you don't enlist. And, if you go to some "professional" career (particularly MD or JD,) it makes you much more tolerable as a person! One of the easiest-to-deal with attorneys I've ever known started out as a paralegal, waited tables to get her paralegal cert, and worked at a law firm all through law school. She understands the value of working, and treats the people who work for her very well.

I can usually spot an MD or DO who "worked for a living" before going into practise by how they treat their office staff, or by the morale of their staff. If they're not happy, I'll look for someone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.