senior in highschool needs advice about life - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > senior in highschool needs advice about life

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

senior in highschool needs advice about life

I am an 18 year old living in noblesville indiana with no idea what to do in life. i have been very interested in the armed forces and had everything ready for the marines (test taken, date to be shipped off set) but i backed out the day i was going to sign up. I have not inrolled in college yet, i am interested in maybe business management and something with the parks, like park ranging. if i join the armed forces, what are the odds i can complete college? or should i go in as an officer, please help me. thank you

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstrong50 View Post
I am an 18 year old living in noblesville indiana with no idea what to do in life. i have been very interested in the armed forces and had everything ready for the marines (test taken, date to be shipped off set) but i backed out the day i was going to sign up. I have not inrolled in college yet, i am interested in maybe business management and something with the parks, like park ranging. if i join the armed forces, what are the odds i can complete college? or should i go in as an officer, please help me. thank you
Just join, cheaper insurance, steady money, college paid, you will grow up.
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just join.

Here's some motivation

But seriously man, no need to rush. I was fortunate enough to figure out what I wanted to do with my life when i was still in HS. But I am in no rush to get there. Live life day by day man, thinking too far ahead stresses you out....ask me how i know. I've considered joining multiple times, but i wanted to try out my options as a civi first. Take your time, you're still young man.
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
XtreemJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am 23 now, and finally got my life in the direction I wanted to go. If there is any advice I can give, it would be to just take your time and get your feet wet with alot of different things. You have a long life so make sure whatever you decide to do you are going to enjoy it. I spent the past two years drinking and just off track because I got all confused about what I panned for my life. Just take your time and get a general idea about any options you may be tossing around. I have a friend going into the coast gaurd right now. I was lookng at all of the possibilities down the road with that. Good luck
XtreemJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been in the Army for 20 months and have completed 60 credit hours. Not sure about the other services, but the Army and Air Force are big on college. They make it very easy to go. My detachment sergeant got her masters degree in Afghanistan. And, yes, its paid for! Join now and get your education for free, then you can go longer when you get out on your GI bill, or give it to your spouse or kids (when you have them).

Last edited by XJcruiser; 01-29-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: never mention how much college you have and then misspell "very" LOL
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The odds of completing college if you join the Military are 100% if you apply yourself and have the ability. If you score well on the ASVAB and qualify otherwise you can apply to go to college to become an officer and get paid decent money to do it. In the Army the program is called Green to Gold. If you don't qualify for that you can attend college part time for free. The amount you get down depends on time you have and how bad you want to do it. Once you get out you will have the GI Bill.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do what you LIKE to do. I wanted to go into an outdoor/wildlife oriented career when I was in school (fish and game, forest service, animal science, who knows). I didn't and now I regret it. Sure, it doesn't pay as good as what I do now, but I think I would have been happier.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

The armed forces offer all sorts of money above and beyond for a college education.

The Navy and Air Force might be better options, if you don't want to interrupt your college to get shot at. (If you like getting shot at, the Navy and Air Force do offer those opportunities).

I'm in the Navy. Should have had college done by now, but I didn't motivate myself to do it. If you are motivated, you can get a degree as an enlisted person (Paid for!).

Starting out, the pay in the military isn't spectacular until you consider that your food, lodging, utilities, medical, dental, etc... is paid for. When you get up to my paygrade (E-6) you get all that, and decent money.

The military isn't for everyone, but the fact is that if you don't like it after a few years, you can get out. Certain Navy ratings offer major bonuses just for joining (nuclear field for example). Many of those same ratings also offer large sums of money for re-enlisting.

I'm not a recruiter, so I'n not going to tell you that military life is always great. Sometimes it blows, but in the end it pays.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sack up, join the military and get a BA in both Business Management and Administration of Justice, while serving your country and growing up a little. Or be a bum and do lost of drugs and learn about life that way.

I did both, the military was a lot more fulfilling. Unfortunately, I was in a unit with a high op tempo, so I never really had the chance to work on civilian education.
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the reason i backed out of the marines is my recruiter told me it was an 8 year contract, i could be active for four years, and inactive for four. I wasnt a fan of the long contract because if i didnt like it, i was stuck in it even if i were inactive. if i join the military, can i choose what i major in for college, or is there a limited list of what you can study? i am extremely interested in doing something with the parks/nature, or business management, would that be something i could study? Is now a good time to join the military? my father got his dental school paid for by the military by promising them so many years of service for every year they paid for his schooling. is that still around? i want to talk to you guys first instead of a recruiter because they never tell you how it is, or at least in my experiences they havent. they have always seemed to sugar coat it and tell you what you want to hear and leave out the things you need to hear.
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I was your age, and had no clue what to do, I left home. And drove. I went to all these places I never seen before. It was great. One day I came home, and was at a gas station, saw some friends and they said "hey, were going to colorado right now, wanna go" Brought my car home, and jumped in with them. Two years later I came back. All the time in between, I didnt need a watch, would always forget what day it was. I was broke, homeless, had nothing to lose.....but I was 100% free. And I can never feel that way ever again. No need to give your life to the corp cause your not sure of what to do. What im sayin is, why do you need a plan? Your 18. Act like it, and enjoy it while you can. Thats what I would do, go see America before you cant. Youll find out where you want to live which is most important, than all you gotta do is figure out how to stay there. (edit - i was really 17, the youngest kid in class) What brought me home, .....well.....what brought me home is 13 and calls me daddy.
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the reason i backed out of the marines is my recruiter told me it was an 8 year contract, i could be active for four years, and inactive for four. I wasnt a fan of the long contract because if i didnt like it, i was stuck in it even if i were inactive. if i join the military, can i choose what i major in for college, or is there a limited list of what you can study? i am extremely interested in doing something with the parks/nature, or business management, would that be something i could study? Is now a good time to join the military? my father got his dental school paid for by the military by promising them so many years of service for every year they paid for his schooling. is that still around? i want to talk to you guys first instead of a recruiter because they never tell you how it is, or at least in my experiences they havent. they have always seemed to sugar coat it and tell you what you want to hear and leave out the things you need to hear.
Every enlisted person has an 8 year contract. I did 3 active and 5 with the National Guard, with one of those years being on an active deployment.

There is the option of inactive ready reserve, where you don't do anything. Your sole purpose on IRR, is to be called up before conscription starts.
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you have thoughts like that now I would wait to join. Once you're in you don't get out. Maybe a community college to get you started. You will miss out of some of the stuff a usual freshman in college gets but it will not be as much of an expense is you decide another route.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, look into the Air Force, they take better care of their people than the other branches.
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
xxxflhrci

Not knowing what you want to be at 18 isn't unusual. Not everybody is cut out or wants to be in the military, so that is not always the answer. After highschool, my parents wanted me to go right into college, but did not pressure me. I elected to take a year off, even though most people say that is a bad idea. I worked a dead end job for a year and got a taste of the "real world" and decided I had to do more with my life. I enrolled in community college the next year and still didn't know what I wanted to do, so I basically killed a year in liberal arts. By the end of that first year, I knew what I wanted to be and then got a degree in that field. I've been employed in my chosen field for 18 years now.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.