Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

sears lawaway

2K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  rabidpenguin 
#1 ·
My wife is upset i found lawaway at sears. Especially when it only takes a penny to setup and you can pick up at store once your paid off

once this is paid off ill be getting an air compressor and an impact set. should make things alot easier.

anyone else dealt with sears as far as layaway?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've not done the layaway thing. I typically buy tools as they become necessary. NEEDING a tool for a job means it will immediately be useful to me thus I won't have to try to justify its purchase. If it's a larger purchase, I do my best to get by with what I have while I save up until I have enough to foot the bill. This creates the added benefit of making me think through how much this purchase I'm saving for will be used.

That's just me though. I know others can be in situations where they NEED very expensive tools NOW. Saving up for weeks/months may not be an option.

:cheers2:

#3 ·
understand. my tools were stolen in a move a few years ago and im trying to rebuild what i lost. With what i bought, I should be able to do anything that needs to be done. I like layaway since I can pay it off over 2 months and not worry about interest since I dont use credit cards.

Nothing was to expensive, its $288 for everything and the compressor and air tools with be another 200 once this is done. Air is for convenience but ive seen it make a world of difference.

#4 ·
Ah that sucks. Looks like you have a decent start on rebuilding your tool stash.

I'm not a fan of using credit either. It seems like layaway may be a nice medium between paying cash straight up vs using credit cards.

#5 ·
i was raised in a strict house and credit was never an option. With credit, you end up paying for stuff twice. usually 1.5x's but thta makes no sense. I hate credit. i hate intrest.

Layaway is basically a pament plan with no intrest. Thta i can work with. lol

anything else you would suggest as far as tools go??

#7 ·
RockyMnt1 said:
Check out garage sales. Sometimes you can score some good deals on tools.
I check them out but they never have anything good. Most are picked clean by the time I get up.

With sears I can pay in payments and have the warranty plus it's new.

I'm a huge thrift store shopper so I don't mind garage sales at all. The good ones are about an hours drive north.

#9 ·
My wife is upset i found lawaway at sears. Especially when it only takes a penny to setup and you can pick up at store once your paid off

once this is paid off ill be getting an air compressor and an impact set. should make things alot easier.

anyone else dealt with sears as far as layaway?
Would she be upset if she found out we offer Layaway on Jeep parts? LOL...

-Jason

#11 ·
ChrisHager said:
I guess that depends on what you're planning to do. This would be where I'd start saving cash and buy the tools as I need them. That being said, you can't go wrong with: [*]Screwdrivers [*]Jack/Stands [*]Pry Bars [*]Dead Blow Hammer [*]3lb Sledge [*]Flare Nut Wrenches - Great for brake work. [*]Vice [*]Pliers I could go on. It's probably too late but you mentioned air tools in your first post. Not too long ago, I was introduced to Grey Pneumatic "Duo" sockets. They're a thin walled impact socket which can be used both by hand and with air tools. I have tons of sockets and what not but having a single set that I can wrench with by hand then move to the impact is super nice. Plus, the price is much cheaper than buying two different sets. I also think they have a lifetime warranty. Just something to consider...
I'll be getting air after this stuff is paid off. It's not a requirement, but it sure makes things a lot easier. I'll also be adding a set of flare nut wrenches also. I didn't do it this time but I will with the air order.

Do those sockets stand up good? You mentioned they were thin walled. Don't want to be doing something and have one snap or something.

#13 ·
Do those sockets stand up good? You mentioned they were thin walled. Don't want to be doing something and have one snap or something.
I have the 3/8" 6 point standard/deep well set in standard and metric. The set ran about $165 shipped, I believe. I've been using them for about 4 months and so far, I love them. The ratchets are quite nice with an indented forward/reverse switch and release button. They're 72 tooth as well which is nice. The sockets are about the size of your standard chrome socket. Fitting them into tight areas is pretty easy. So far, they've held up to standard use as well as impacts.

After using these for a while, would I buy another set in a different size? Heck yeah. I'd gladly welcome a 12 point 1/4" set and a 6 point 1/2" set into the garage.

#15 ·
KrawlOff-Road said:
Yes sir! Feel free to PM, email, or call us anytime and we can get you setup. It is SUPER easy to do and we can do it with ANYTHING for your Jeep! -Jason
I looked at the site and all I was that would fit mine are diff covers for the Dana 30/35.

Everything else it seemed was geared towards the Tj/yj chassis.

#18 ·
Sorry we were out of the shop at a couple events and just now getting caught up.

We can get most things for most Jeeps. WJ, right? What are you looking for? Our site is geared more toward JK's and TJ's. We are a small company and I dont have a IT team that works for us. So, we work and add to the site when we have down time... which is not often. LOL.

-Jason

#16 ·
I've never bothered with layaway. I just swipe my card and try to kill it off before the interest hits it. Right now, I still have a few months of 0 interest on my new card, so it's not a big deal. Like ChrisHager, I tend to just buy tools as I need them in the moment (I'm a very knee-jerk, impulsive, instant gratification kind of person who struggles with forethought and patient planning), and then have them in my arsenal for the future.

#17 ·
Domengo said:
I've never bothered with layaway. I just swipe my card and try to kill it off before the interest hits it. Right now, I still have a few months of 0 interest on my new card, so it's not a big deal. Like ChrisHager, I tend to just buy tools as I need them in the moment (I'm a very knee-jerk, impulsive, instant gratification kind of person who struggles with forethought and patient planning), and then have them in my arsenal for the future.
I've never had a credit card.

In regards to impulsiveness, I'm horrible. My wife hates it and it's gotten me into trouble.

I work on the jeep usually when the wife is at work so I have to have all the tools I'll need, before hand. In case I can't drive the jeep and go get more.

I bought some jack stands today. Hopefully they are worth a darn.

#21 ·
Can not see how or why anyone would not own or never owned a CC. How would you rent a car, all the ones i have use no CC no car. Buying air flight tickets you use cash they think you are Johnny Jihad. especially if its one way..

The issue is not paying them off each month. added to that is the cash back deals that do add up to a lot. I use mine for every expense, but pay it off each month. I use this Smiths card LOL, why i get like 1$ of diesel/gas as well as checks for in store that are like 50-80$ a month on top special coupons in store. for nothing but paying my bills? seems like no brainier in my black book.

I will spend their money if its free for 30days or more ever day all day no interest. As well your CC score. last i checked was like 820.

Jason? Can you works any deal on Genright stuff? Looking for 2012+ JK 2 door full rear quarters panels Pm if you can do anything with them? Its like their stuff is made from Ub/ Unobtainium.

#24 ·
Domengo said:
I agree 100%. As long as you live within your means, and know how to manage your credit correctly, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with using credit cards in an advantageous manner like you described. I am a little confused when some people talk about credit cards like they're evil. If you can control yourself then you can control your financial life. You need good credit to do practically anything, even trying to rent an apartment. It is an essential life skill in today's society. Also, having credit at your disposal makes you stronger in terms of leveraging big projects or responding to emergencies.
I'm fully aware of all the good that comes with credit but I'm also aware of the mountains of debt that come with it too.

I know they are helpful but....my credit score is a 540 right now.lol I know about all the issues with bad credit and it sucks. Reason why we live with my sister in laws mom.

But anyway, I like layaway.

#25 ·
A low or non existant credit score can/will prevent you from getting a job these days, so having a high credit score is important, even if you don't use the credit.

At one time, Dial Finance offered 3 month interest free loans. So I went in, got the $3000.00 loan, put it in a CD, and paid it back on time with no interrest. I did it because I had no credit history and it was free money. Of course, they were hoping that something would happen and I would need to extend the loan.

#26 ·
A low or non existant credit score can/will prevent you from getting a job these days, so having a high credit score is important, even if you don't use the credit.

At one time, Dial Finance offered 3 month interest free loans. So I went in, got the $3000.00 loan, put it in a CD, and paid it back on time with no interrest. I did it because I had no credit history and it was free money. Of course, they were hoping that something would happen and I would need to extend the loan.
i'm a cook and have been in a kichen ever since i was 17. I have a bachelors in histpry and computer science but i still love the kitchen. I have never been turned down for a job based on credit except when i had an interview as a teller at a bank.

Side note: If they pull your credit report and you dont consent, you can sue the ever loving crap out of them. Honestly.

I understand the reasoning behind why people have credit and I understand the good it can do, i've just never needed it. Also, with layaway, it makes me fell good when it gets paid off and i can go pick it up. Its like christmas.

Side note: I put a Marlin 22 in layaway at walmart the other day. I can put a gun in layaway......but not tires. baffels me.

#29 ·
Now that is an interesting skill set combination! Glad you found your calling. Many don't. However, if circumstances change, just be aware that most jobs these days require background checks and part of that entails a credit check. I have seen job offers for very qualified candidates cancelled due to bad credit scores.

#30 ·
Woot woot

Just made my second payment on my layaway. Owe 137$ now.

Will pay 60$ on my gun today also and put a 30-06 in layaway. Love layaway.

Since I don't need everything NOW, it works amazingly.

#34 ·
hope they dont close the store ill be picking up at. lol

Really? It's just a penny to set up? I've got $2 burning a hole in my pocket and at least 200 tools I'd like to have. ;)
yea. 1 cent to setup and its 4 payments over 2 months for anything under 400$

They still have layaway?

yup. Didnt know they ever stopped honestly.

Sears is still in business?!

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.