Satellite radio - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Satellite radio

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
outbackmatt

I got the siriusxm onyx today and signed up for their service then installed it in my wj. So far it seems alright. The only complaint I have is it sounds tinny. There is such a night and day difference in the sound quality when I switch my wj radio between satellite and local fm stations.

Is there anyway to improve this? I did some google searching and found satellite commonly does have worse sound quality even in cars that came with it built in.

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt
I got the siriusxm onyx today and signed up for their service then installed it in my wj. So far it seems alright. The only complaint I have is it sounds tinny. There is such a night and day difference in the sound quality when I switch my wj radio between satellite and local fm stations.

Is there anyway to improve this? I did some google searching and found satellite commonly does have worse sound quality even in cars that came with it built in.
I think there is a line level adjustment in the settings menu, adjust that up to at least 75%. How are you getting the signal to your radio?
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
robhurlburt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

XMP3i is what you want
robhurlburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
outbackmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbcrawler View Post
I think there is a line level adjustment in the settings menu, adjust that up to at least 75%. How are you getting the signal to your radio?
Not the best way, I am connecting through FM stations.
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
Not the best way, I am connecting through FM stations.
Used that method for a while. I use the XM the most when I go on long trips and this takes me into strong FM signals and my XM signal would get interrupted. Getting tired of dealing with it, I finally got the interrupter, which is Sirius/XMs best method of getting the signal to your head unit. I still have the stock sound system in my truck but I have zero signal problems and I noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in my sound quality. Im not sure your XM signal will ever sound as good as FM, more comparable to CD. As an X-FM radio DJ, I can say few signals, if any, sound as full and rich as a clear FM signal. Try the line volume adjustment in the setting menu and pay the extra cash for the interrupter, itll be well worth it.
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
outbackmatt

Thanks I will try this if I get tired of tuning to different fm stations. Locally its been doing good. I really like siriusxm so far and cant wait to get a docking station for the shop.
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
Thanks I will try this if I get tired of tuning to different fm stations. Locally its been doing good. I really like siriusxm so far and cant wait to get a docking station for the shop.
No prob. i got a dock.I Love it.
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've had my XM pioneer Inno (like the newer XM3pi) since they were the newest on the market. I love it but you have to know there are trade offs.
My Inno is the size of a small phone has an integrated antenna and tuner, it can record xm of the air and playback recorded XM and mp3s. You can listen to the same station the entire time you are driving no matter how many time zones you go through. You can pretty much choose your genre, I like 80s, BPM, electric area, classic rewind, Ozzy, book radio and XMNPR, sure beats the preacher radio , lame talk and conway twitty that is all that's available trucking up the eastern shore. BUT... here are the down sides
Even with the magnetic patch antenna it will lose signal in light coverage areas. Installed units usually have a more sensitive tuner.
Even running it off of the dock it has good but not great sound quality. Again the small size means less sophisticated amplifier tech.
I got my son a a portable unit one black friday for free after rebate, it had a monochrome screen and needed to be in a dock with this little tuner chip to get XM but you could record to it and play back that without being plugged in. He used it for a couple of years but we discovered a fairly unique jeep issue. Your XM dock will corrode if it gets rained on and covered with mud
Since he bought himself a sedan DD and I got back the Jeep I replaces his portable with an Onyx this year, the tuner is much more sensitive and the sound is much better.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.