Satellite radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Satellite radio

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
outbackmatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: chickamauga, ga
Posts: 630
Satellite radio

I'm thinking about getting satellite radio but I need it to be easily portable to listen in my jeep, truck and fabrication shop. I only want to have one subscription. Anybody have experience with this and able to point to the right satellite radio?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Kerovick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fairfield, PA.
Posts: 105
Stilletto 2 is the one I have. It can do what you need.
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Scherer
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Glens Falls, NY
Posts: 194
Not a big fan of paying for music I can hear for free on the radio.
Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, Illinois
Posts: 3,107
didnt satellite radio die? i use my cell phone for everything, pandora subscription is $30
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Hoobly_Goob
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Provo, \(_o)/
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
didnt satellite radio die? i use my cell phone for everything, pandora subscription is $30
You can stream Pandora for free, to. You just have to deal with commercials.
__________________
"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
dpshoup
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CANTON, OH
Posts: 189
I have Sirius in my jeep; paid $399 several years ago for Lifetime subscription. There are one's now that come with home kits included. Pandora One is $3.99 a month, and I can get that thru my blu ray player. Overall, I would not pay the higher prices that sirius wants to charge now since Pandora is so customizable.
__________________
HT1 (SW/AW) USN RETIRED (HT-4946)
24 Jun 81-30 Jun 01
ASNT NDT Level III (VT, MT, PT)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]02 WJ-4.7 My DD[/COLOR] [04 WJ-4.0, 00 XJ-4.0 Gone]
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]03 WJ-4.0 Dau #1 DD[/COLOR]
93 ZJ-5.2 Dau #2 DD

[COLOR="Blue"]USN Jeep Club #153[/COLOR]
dpshoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, Illinois
Posts: 3,107
for me, the lack of commercials and almost endless skipping of songs is well worth the $3 a month. oh, and it rarely asks you if you are still listening
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Marconis
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 333
I bought an Onyx dock last January and got XM/Sirius. I canceled it in September after I realized that every station played the same set of songs on loop multiple times per day. That kind of nonsense is exactly why I switched from FM to satellite, so I got fed up. I use TuneIn Radio, now, and regret ever paying $15/m in the first place. Don't do it.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
curbcrawler
Registered User
1946 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 211
I have a life-time subscription to sirius/xm radio and have had one for about 7 years now. Coupla important things to keep in mind. 1. Get a portable head unit, this leaves you the option to buy a dock for what ever location you need, jeep, house, garage, etc. This allows for one subscription as add-ons get expensive. 2. Be sure you know what you want in a head unit, the only difference Ive found in them is, station pre-sets (the cheap units offer plenty of memory), the amount of info for a song or band, I believe some will give you a "buy it on Itunes" option too. I have the cheap "Onyx" unit and love it. They will charge you to move your subscription from one unit to another. 3. I use sirius in the truck, in the garage and plan to use it in the jeep once I get a dock and antenna for it. I use tune-in radio and pandora on the I-phone at work. In the house, I use pandora and tune-in, seldom sirius. I found the on-line service to be useless because there are so many free options out there. Think about where you are likely to use sirius. Are you there enough to make it worth a subscription? 4. If you buy a car unit, get the best signal transmitter they offer. Get the signal interrupter that plugs in to the antenna and interrupts FM signals in favor of the sirius signal when the unit is on. Pay the extra cash for it, it is worth it! All other signal transmitters suck, believe me, I've tried them. 5. Watch out for fees for various services they may do for you, transfer fees, hook-up fees, you name it they will try to charge for it. Some of these fees can be negotiated away if you are persistent. I had my Onyx unit stolen out of my truck, I told sirius about it, they offered another unit to me shipped to my house for $10.00 and they waived the transfer fee. Ha Ha and they shut off the signal to the stolen unit. I gave a pretty thorough out line of what to consider and expect of the service. 6. Buy at a place that sell alot of accessories for the unit, they seem to know more about their products. Best Buy has plenty of accessories and know their stuff. All said I love my subscription and had no problem paying for the life time service. Boils down to where wont you be using free signals like Pandora and tune-in radio.Some times satellite is the answer over streaming audio. Sirius isnt for everyone, think it through. need to know any thing else?
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
-commit2013-
curbcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
jumbojeepman
Registered User
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,099
I love my XM, can't imagine driving without it although I drive at work, so I'm listening 9 hours a day minimum. I actually listen to more talk radio than music, but I find there to be plenty of music choice available. Sure, if you listen to the same station all the time you hear repeats, but there are like 70 stations, so change it up every now and then. The icing on the cake for me is every NFL foolball game is broadcast, so while I'm at workI can listen to any game I want to.

I have 2 receivers. After 2 portable units got stolen from my convertible (they did replace them for free both times,) I decided to get a head unit with a hidden XM tuner permanently mounted for that car. I swap a portable unit around between my other three cars. 2 of them have aux inputs I use, and I use a FM modulator that plugs into the antenna for the third. I have a power cord and antenna for each vehicle mounted, so I all have to do is unplug the XM receiver and plug it into the car I'm driving. I don't listen to the sat radio when I'm around the house, so no need for a home dock.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
curbcrawler
Registered User
1946 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
I love my XM, can't imagine driving without it although I drive at work, so I'm listening 9 hours a day minimum. I actually listen to more talk radio than music, but I find there to be plenty of music choice available. Sure, if you listen to the same station all the time you hear repeats, but there are like 70 stations, so change it up every now and then. The icing on the cake for me is every NFL foolball game is broadcast, so while I'm at workI can listen to any game I want to.

I have 2 receivers. After 2 portable units got stolen from my convertible (they did replace them for free both times,) I decided to get a head unit with a hidden XM tuner permanently mounted for that car. I swap a portable unit around between my other three cars. 2 of them have aux inputs I use, and I use a FM modulator that plugs into the antenna for the third. I have a power cord and antenna for each vehicle mounted, so I all have to do is unplug the XM receiver and plug it into the car I'm driving. I don't listen to the sat radio when I'm around the house, so no need for a home dock.
Same here, I listen to talk mostly. Totally agree about the music.
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
-commit2013-
curbcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
outbackmatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: chickamauga, ga
Posts: 630
The radio stations in chattanooga are terrible with all the commercials and lack of variety. I would gladly pay not to have them. Just want to get the best value for the $$.

I like using pandora and iheart radio at home, but I have a 3000 sqft shop a few hundred feet from the house where I would be listening to music while working 10 hours a day. Getting a reliable internet connection from the house router to the shop has been difficult. I only have 2gb of data on my phone which quickly gets used up streaming music without a wifi internet connection.


When you go on the sirius website I see packages available for SiriusXM, XM, and Sirius. What is the main difference in them?

Next which of these two units makes more sense for what I need? This unit is portable.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SiriusXM...&skuId=3182319

Or I can buy this unit for my jeep, and buy another vehicle kit for my truck and buy a home docking kit for my shop.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XM+-+Ony...&skuId=9530215
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
outbackmatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: chickamauga, ga
Posts: 630
The other thing is my wj and truck dont have aux ports for connecting the unit to the stereo. What are my options here? I know you can tune in to a FM station not being used by local stations, but have heard this isnt as good.
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
curbcrawler
Registered User
1946 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
The radio stations in chattanooga are terrible with all the commercials and lack of variety. I would gladly pay not to have them. Just want to get the best value for the $$.

I like using pandora and iheart radio at home, but I have a 3000 sqft shop a few hundred feet from the house where I would be listening to music while working 10 hours a day. Getting a reliable internet connection from the house router to the shop has been difficult. I only have 2gb of data on my phone which quickly gets used up streaming music without a wifi internet connection.


When you go on the sirius website I see packages available for SiriusXM, XM, and Sirius. What is the main difference in them?

Next which of these two units makes more sense for what I need? This unit is portable.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SiriusXM...&skuId=3182319

Or I can buy this unit for my jeep, and buy another vehicle kit for my truck and buy a home docking kit for my shop.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XM+-+Ony...&skuId=9530215
Well, like I said in my first post, I have the Onyx. The Onyx is a basic unit and is cheap and is very reliable. It has actual buttons where the Lynx is touch screen. Because I use mine out in the garage ALOT, I want the buttons so my dirty, sticky, grease and oil covered fingers dont mess up a touch screen. Not sure how reliable the touch screen is on the Lynx either. On the other hand I notice the Lynx has a memory so you can flash back to the beginning of a song. real cool. I wonder how well that works with talk radio? I probably would go with the Onyx still if I were to be shopping again. I dont see myself hitting the flash back button and prefer the buttons over the touch screen. Either way I think you would be happy as you get used to the features on either one.
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
-commit2013-
curbcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
curbcrawler
Registered User
1946 CJ2A 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
The other thing is my wj and truck dont have aux ports for connecting the unit to the stereo. What are my options here? I know you can tune in to a FM station not being used by local stations, but have heard this isnt as good.


Very true. Get the FM interrupter that I suggested in my first post. Plug your FM antenna, your radio and your XM unit into it and that it. It blocks out all signals but your xm units. Hit the power button on your xm unit and you got FM again. It interrupts only when the xm unit is on. works awesome. Or....you can get the tape deck adapter. cheap and sucky. poor sound quality. the interrupter IS the way to go.
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
-commit2013-
curbcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.