Sad reminder to know what you are doing before going "wheeling".. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Sad reminder to know what you are doing before going "wheeling"..

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-07-2003, 05:54 AM   #1
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sad reminder to know what you are doing before going "wheeling"..

Left to freeze to death

Quote:
A London tourist was forced to leave his girlfriend to freeze to death after they were trapped in snowdrifts in the American wilderness. George Metcalfe, 27, and Rachel Crowley survived for three days on chocolates, snow and sunflower seeds before they tried to trek to safety - but she became too weak to continue and begged him to save himself.
Cliff notes: They rent a soft-top Wrangler (stock) to go "exploring" in the Zion WILDERNESS Area of Utah.

They go alone, just dressed in sweatshirts, and jeans, with sneakers.

Alone.

With no food.

Without telling anyone where they're going, or when to expect them back.

They get stuck, in mud, miles from anywhere.

Then snowed in.

They then try to walk out, when the Jeep runs out of gas to keep them warm.

With no map.

And no idea how to get back to the nearest road.

I'm sorry she died, but there was definitely a "Darwin factor" going on there. Just a warning to the rest of us, keep some extra food, and some old blankets, etc in your car, AT ALL TIMES. If you go out, tell someone where you are going to be, and when you'll be back. And NEVER, EVER, GO ALONE!

ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

can't say enough about saftey issues-
and my wife always asks why the blanket is in the back of the jeep.
Unread 03-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Luckily we don't have too many death from freezing around here...

I do keep two blankets in the XJ anyway. Some water, and skeeter repellant are in there too .

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
ILoveto4x4inNC

Even though I don't wheel my ZJ I do keep several blankets and spare jackets in the back during the winter months. I grew up in Kansas and was tought to always keep that stuff in the vehicle in case of emergancy. Thankfully I've never had to use any of it.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
Quan

Terrible... It hurts to think of what he is going through and i wonder if i would leave my girlfriend in a situation like that. i dont really want to think about this anymore.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
Tango

Quote:
Originally posted by Quan
Terrible... It hurts to think of what he is going through and i wonder if i would leave my girlfriend in a situation like that. i dont really want to think about this anymore.
I would never leave my wife .......if she was too weak I would carry her out or die trying

When I was in the Marines we were tought never to leave a man behind so I would probably try to carry a friend out. thats just how I am BUT that feeling and sense of duty and love is multiplied by 10 for my wife, I love her and couldn't stand to live with out her

Brian
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Quan

agreed.... i went to see my girlfriend (future fiance and wife) after replying. I told her the story and told her i wouldn't think of leaving her out there, i would use my jacket and two branches to make a stretcher to drag her out. Drag her out or die trying.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
BIG SEXY

Hell yes Tango! Even if I didn't make it I would have died trying... I dont think I could have lived the rest of my life wondering if I could have done it. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda's would slowly eat you away!
Another thing I keep with me is a piece of "splinter wood" a small chunck of hardwood (kept dry)that you can peel some off with a knife to start a fire with, even if all the wood around you is wet, keeping the dry splinter wood with you, you can start enough to dry the wood and leaves...
91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn [B]XD9000i[/B] (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
BIG SEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
dontpush

thats why i keep my snowboard gear in my jeep. somtimes the board too, but i take it out when i reach my destination so no one steals it. a couple of flares wouldnt hurt. i know you can get a firstaid kit at wallymart for 20 bucks and it comes with a tow strap and some of those blankets too.
dontpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
evilpsych

yah.. if there's a chance of snow, i carry the cable chains.. i also take the shotty or the Glock and food ESPECIALLY when i go alone into the wilderness.. all that can be said is that frankly, they got what they deserved for being unprepared, as bad as that sounds. I wonder what the rental agency told them.. if it was a local one that specialized in jeep rentals just for excursions like this, then they should of at least suggested they take supplies...

It's the same thing when people build their houses on the beach, or the hillside, and the hurricane or El Nino comes and washes their house away either through waves or mudslides.. They take a chance, and get kicked in the cajones by mother nature for being stupid humans.. These are the same type of people that think just because they own a SUV, then they can go anywhere, and have superior handling skills in slick/ice conditions..

Yes, it's sad that the woman died, but people die every day.. 100% worldwide death-rate AFAIK unless there really are vampires or a fountain of youth..

also makes you wonder why they didn't try to hike out the first morning when it was obvious that they werent going anywhere stuck in the mud..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #11
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

I would probobly kill my wife and eat her so that I would have
the energy to spend the life insurance money when I got out.

I hate to make light of a terible situation but like ukjeeper said
Definatly a Darwin Factor.
I cant say I keep a blanket in my ZJ but I do keep a light jacket
thats about all you need here and I also keep the most important feature of all "CELL PHONE!!"
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats terrible. When I started taking my girlfriend wheeling with me I told her that if we were stuck I wouldnt leave her and that If I were incapacitated I would want her to leave me and get out safe. Dont much matter if Im hurt, Id just want her to be safe.
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I carry enough survival gear to keep myself, wife, and two kids alive indefinately, no matter what the weather. And it all fits in very small compartments and bags, and it's ALWAYS in my Jeep. Fire starting equipment, emergency blankets, water purifier, water, so much other stuff too. And it all fits because I made room for it.
I would never wheel alone, but if we got stuck, there's no way we would die from it because it was too hot or too cold or too rainy or too far from any civilization. And I never wheel without a .357 and plenty of ammo.
Put some thought into your survival gear that should always be in your Jeep. There are plenty of threads here on JF to help you.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Holy thread revival, Batman!
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn thats sad, i have a first aid kit, blankets, pillows, extra gas and tools in my jeep and on wheeling trips i have food and a tote full of spare fluids and lots more stuff..my mom is always curious why i keep blankets in the jeep..shes always worried i just use em to get freaky with my girl haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.