Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

road rage wrecked my DD today....

5K views 75 replies 36 participants last post by  wm69 
#1 ·
Well, I went to ace hardware today to get four bolts ($1,25) so I could attach an aftermarket carb air cleaner base to my factory air cleaner assembaly (MC2100 swap and the aftermarket cheapo air cleaner I had didn't satisfy me). I'm on my way home on a 4 lane road and this ******* in a Z71 comes flying around me on the right (there's a slow mover in the right lane just ahead) and then he swerves over when his left rear tire is about at my right front tire. I hit my brakes, lay on the horn, and flip him the bird. He starts gesturing for me to pull over, presumably so he and the other two guys in the truck can beat the tar out of me. I just slow down and back off and he takes off in whatever huge hurry he's in. He eventually gets about 1/2 mile ahead of me, but then he stops to turn left (the road had narrowed to 2 lanes at this point). By the time I get up behind him oncoming traffic has all passed and he just sits there and starts pointing for me to turn. I go around him on the right shoulder and the next thing I know his brushguard is in my trunk. I don't know if he purposely rammed me or if he was trying to keep me from getting back on the road, but either way he smoked me. I jump out of the car and at this point I'm thinking "there are three of them so my odds aren't looking real good here". The bastard backs up and drives off! Here's where I get really dumb. I get his plate, and am reciting it myself over and over again (hello, write the damn thing down....). I left my cell at the house so I go back to ask the old couple behind me if they have one, they say no that I should try the house who's driveway I had pulled into to get my car out of the way. Another guy stops and sticks his head out of the truck and yells "I'll see if I can catch them" but I never saw him again. The dispatcher asks what phone number I'm calling from (I didn't know) and what the addy was. I looked up and recited the address and I'll be damned if I didn't lose the plate number. I THINK I got it right, but I wasn't sure (again, *******, write it down) Cop shows up after about 30 min and says if they can catch them they'll file aggrevated assault against the guy. I just can't believe the guy just drove off like that. I was worried that it might be considered my fault since I went around the guy on the shoulder, but I guess since he was stopped with left turn signal on when I went around him and the fact that he left the scene convinced the cop that I wasn't at fault (although looking back, flipping the guy off, DUMB, going around him on the shoulder, DUMBER). Anyhow, now my 93 accord that I have faithfully maintained since new will probably be totalled out and I have the choice of buying it back and trying to fix it or trying to find another good car for under $5K (blue book on the accord). It drives fine but the muffler apparently is gone because I sounded like a ricer coming home. :mad: Trunk won't close, taillights are gone as is the rear bumper. Trunk is considerable smaller too. Sucks because wife and I just had baby #2 two weeks ago and cleaned the savings account out to pay the delivery costs. Glad I had uninsured motorists, because I didn't have collision with a car that old. Now I just gotta hope they catch the guy so his insurance (that's assuming he has insurance) can pay instead of mine.

See less See more
#3 ·
left it at the house with the cell phone..... :mad: I'm 30, fat, out of shape, and haven't been in a fight since college bar brawls. I was ready to go at it after the jackmonkey hit my car, but I didn't have any fantasy's that I can get out and whip 3 guys who are bigger than me.

#5 ·
Even the odds...Use the 4-way lug wrench! :thumbsup: I hope they catch the bastards.

#8 ·
5'10" 155# but when I get pissed it won't matter. You'll have to kill me before I give up. I'd rather be in a hospital than letting someone get away with something like that. If I was getting whooped I would recommend they kill me, because by god when I recover I will devote my life to putting them in 100x as much pain as they put me in, and I will take them at my own pace, one at a time, on my own terms. [anger management isn't kicking in right now, sorry] Start with the biggest guy first.

As for your accord..like most cars it is unibody. If you keep it check the frame. Maybe you can buy it back and sell it as a parts/donor car to someone working on an import project? I dunno - the only imports I ever worked on were made in Deutcheland. Even with VWs..parts cars would come in handy sometimes.

I've learned to control my road rage. You never know what crazy mofo you will run into out there. Until IL gets concealed carry, I will keep to myself. Unless of course they hit me..then all bets are off.
I've had people follow me before..I had fun outrunning them, cept the one time I got caught by the cops in the process. It's only happened a couple times in the jeep..usually just some random dude gets pissed off or whatever, or overhears me say something with the top down..just find a parking lot with rows of parking blocks. Drive over them one row at a time. by the time they zig zag around the lot you are gone. Or tap your brake pedal twice. Wait. If they are still hanging on your spare, put the pedal into the firewall. I hate doing that..but don't say I didn't warn you, *******.

:D

#10 ·
I have a 18" Husky breaker bar with the 19mm socket for my lug nuts anyways..hey, dual purpose. That and the M4 bayonet in my gear bag in the back..
Oh, and D shackles make good brass knuckles in a pinch. I have 4 of them

#11 ·
i got just thing thing for that situation.. its called a "tire thumper" guys who drive big rigs use it to test the pressure in their tires i use it to even out 3 on 1 fights :thumbsup:

#12 ·
grandman97 said:
i got just thing thing for that situation.. its called a "tire thumper" guys who drive big rigs use it to test the pressure in their tires i use it to even out 3 on 1 fights :thumbsup:
yea no kidding, i got a police issue 5 D-cell mag light in my holder by my seat, its nice to have in a pinch like that. and its pretty bright to :D

#13 ·
I really don't understand road rage. Maybe it's because when I learned to drive it was in a turquoise '67 VW Bus... nobody can really get mad at you driving that, and you can't really go fast enough to be annoyed at anybody. Either way, I was in a similar situation with my friend about a year ago. A "dude-bro" truck (as we call them) was riding his bumper, so he slowed down (even though this was in his insane 72 Nova which would have dropped them in a second). The 3 guys in that truck motioned for him to pull over. Kyle (my friend) is a little crazy, in fact he is now on parole for assault w/ a deadly weapon from an unrelated thing. I'm 6'1" #170 and I can fight if I have to, but the driver walked up to Kyle, a few angry words were exchanged, and then Kyle punched him in the neck. After that he and his friends just got back in their car and drove away... let me tell you though, the expression on the guys face was HILARIOUS.

#14 ·
well a light good weapon I keep around is 2 sets of 2 lug nuts screwed into each other by old broken studs. they make for a good solid fist, don't slow your swing and don't give away to the oncommers that you are about to pack a blow. that or those cool 3 balled rope the thundercats always used to rap up ankles and trip opponent. I forget what they are called. you could also drop trow and chunk #2's at them like a monkey... I'm sure nobody would stick around for that!

#15 ·
yeah, but what you guys have to think about now is whether or not the other guy has a gun and is willing to use it, and whether or not he'll sue you after it's all said and done. Even if he starts it, with our legal system he could say you did, get a sympathetic jury, and bankrupt you. I've seen it happen. I've got a wife and two kids to take care of now, so I'm not fighting unless it's to defend them. I did enough brawling in my younger days to give me a distaste of it. I've been alone and slugged a mouthy punk in a bar and gotten jumped by 5-6 of his buddies. It happens, and I came out of it looking pretty rough (so did the guy I nailed), but then I was going to school and my job was in a convenience store. Now I work in a management company's accounting dept. Looks kinda bad if I show up with a busted lip, or even worse, get arrested for assault. Yeah, I wanted to pull over, but there are all the other factors to consider so you swallow your pride and feel like a wuss for the rest of the day. That's the price you pay when you get married and have kids.....

#16 ·
Same thing happened to me. I was coming back from the beach and this a-hole in a Mustang cut me off when he saw the car in the right lane was going slower. He must have missed my right front fender by inches! :brickwall

I flashed my high beams at him to let him know I'm not invisible. Although he was in a big hurry he had time to slam on his brakes. I was far enough back so I wouldn't hit him. ;) I then turned on the high beams and flipped on 'The WalMart Light Mod' and the strangest thing happened.. He turned on his blinker and pulled over on the the shoulder. :confused:

My buddy was in his TJ following behind. I keyed up on the FRS radio and said " did you see that?" He saw what had happened, and I asked "why do you think he pulled over?" He thinks when I hit the lights he may have thought I was a cop.. :rtft:

After all that I was thinking, man I'm glad a cop wasn't coming the opposite way or I could have been in huge trouble! :brickwall

Anyway road rage sucks, and a-hole drivers suck even worse! :brickwall

#17 ·
You need a trunk monkey. smarta-- comment out of the way now...

One very positive effect my jeep has had on me is that it has slowed me down. I dont get in a hurry and i dont get road rage. Someones going slow im like cool, ill get a little better mpg. Someone rides my bumper i'll slow down and make them pass and i wont give them any gestures. Ill smile at them (which in some cases i realize can antagonize them) but if they want to fight over a smile well i can accomodate them with a clear concience. Three on one is a no go, dont care how tuff you are. Thats how you get killed. Im a big believer in concealed carry and if there are three guys fixing to attack you and the guy hit you with his vehicle, there IS a serious potential for death or serious bodily injury and you have every right to defend yourself with same.

Im not trying to sound like a cowboy here, i have no desire to hurt anyone. I out grew that along time ago. Ive had to pull my gun one time. It stopped the car jacking that was in progress real fast when he opened the door to climb in and the pistol was aimed at his head. Thank God i didnt have to pull the trigger but i would have if it had gone any farther.

An NRA sticker on your bumper goes along way to. They have to think, hmmm he may not have his gun on him, but theres no doubt he owns one. its kind of like a protected by (insert alarm co. name here) sticker for a--holes.

#18 ·
My life is better than of any @hole out there driving as such.

Back off... never make eye contact, and get home in one piece.

220 pounds @ 6 foot 1 ... I can fight a few rounds against a few opponents no prob. I have a rather large maglite to defend myself, but i rather pick my fights wisely.

Road rage is a game i dont play. My life is too nice.

#20 ·
OK,
1. I a gree with the never leave home wiothout a cell phone
2. I agree that a 3 0n 1 fight is not fair, thereofre, you even the odds, a good ods leveler that I have found is the 2 pieces to the handle of the floor jack that is alway s in my back seat, it is a tool, it is perfectly legal for me to cary, and I can easily beat the -=-=-=-= out of you with it.
3. call cops once all are on the ground, let tehm know what happened

I would just carry my .45, but I travl onto a military base for work, and since I am a civilian I can not take iton base with me.

#21 ·
I think the best thing that I have ever carried in my truck as a self defence weapon was a peice of chain with some nails welded to the end of it. but right now I have a Katana mounted to my headliner with a sort modified hi-lift jack mount, i know it's illegal but it scares the crap out of people when there ready to fight you then you whip out a 3 foot long sword and come at then with it. i never actually hit anyone with it though. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
There are some Chevy freaks around here that will do anything "rugged". Once I'm able to drive, I'll be toting a pistol in the side pocket, a crow bar behind the seat, and a Kendolff army knife ;)

#23 ·
talked to the police today. He said the tag # I gave them (wasn't 100 % sure if I got it right) came back to an address on the road where the guy was going to turn left. It was NOT a tag for the pickup that hit me, so either I got the tag wrong and coincidentally the tag I gave the police happened to be on the street where the guy was going, or there's been some tag switching going on. The cop said they're going to keep watching the area. Hopefully the truck will appear and they'll get the guy. I was really wanting a little more info on the house where the tag was registered, but they didn't give me any more info other than "we're looking into it further"

#26 ·
3 guys?-- No Problem

All you gotta do is hop out the car and be like "Ok ladies, I already called 911 and the cops are on the way..... now we both know you can lay the lumber on me if you want, but theyre gonna be here in 3 minutes and wont be too happy to see you beatin up on a fellow officer's kid."

Of course I hope it works. If it doesnt and they try to git you, just go after the smallest one of them and try to get a full-nelson on them. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.