Road Biking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Road Biking

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off Road

Unread 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
nwiTJdave

Road Biking

Anyone into road biking here? I quit riding 5 years ago but just dusted off the old Trek a few days ago. We used to ride 20-30 miles a day during the week and 50-100 on weekends. I was really depressed the other night on the first ride averaging only 15mph on 6.9 mile ride.

My goal is to ride in a century in September. I have a long way to go but now that I'm married my wife doesn't make me feel guilty spending an hour to 4 hours doing this. Went for a 16 mile ride today and my average speed dropped but the wind sucked today. Not bad for being out of shape and only my 3rd ride in 5 years.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
bigredhawkeye
2000 WJ 

I've road biked for the last four years or so. Just started up again this summer since I was unable to bike during the college school year.

Right now I'm riding about 20 miles every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/2000-wj-build-cadets-budget-1374433/"]WJ Expedition Build Thread[/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114319-Planning-one-last-trip-(CO-UT-OR-WA-CAN-Alaska-etc-)-for-my-Dad-and-I"]My Travel Thread[/URL]
bigredhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Road biking is awesome. In fact next week I have a 100 mile fundraising bike ride sponsored by Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research.

Keep it up, you'll be surprised how fast your average speed increases not just as you get more in shape, but as you get back into your old groove
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have two bikes now a roadie and SS MTB. I used to ride a lot but due to some injuries (torn patella which is still jacked up and rotator cuff and bicep tendon torn but fixed) I stopped riding and gotten fat ha!. Now I am wanting to back into riding now that I have more time. I hope to do a Century in October.
SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #105

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Coasttrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
gotmudd1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have done the century ride through NYC a couple of times. What a great ride through the city! I enjoy biking even if i only have time for 10 to 15 miles
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used to road bike then I got a 4cyl YJ and have a hard time driving around those road bikers that are going under the limit and take up the whole lane.
Just last week came close to a head on collision cause I wanted to pass but the Jeep would rather not.

So I stoped riding bikes on the city streets.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
nwiTJdave

Did 18 miles tonight at 16.4 mph avg. Would have went further but i don't have a light on my bike and I'm not going to ride county roads at night without that. So I think I am making good progress in my mind for my fourth ride in a week in 5 years.

This weekend I plan on doing a 30 or 40 mile ride if its not too hot.

Unread 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used be a cycling animal...then wife and kids happened. We went on a ten mile ride today and stopped at a park on the way so the kiddos could get put of the Burley. I was happy for every minute.
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
nwiTJdave

Check out the MapMyRide App. I like how you can follow what your friends are doing with that and view their routes

Unread 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
nwiTJdave

Tonight was one of those nights where you feel like 3 out of 4 directions you head are into the wind.

And I realized roughly 5 miles into my ride I had no water. Only rode 16.47 miles tonight

Unread 06-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Hopefully will have a Specialized Sector Compact in the next few months, just have a MTB for now.
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
nwiTJdave

Check out www.crazyguyonabike.com. awesome site for touring journals. It's made me want to bike around lake Michigan next summer

Unread 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

No road bike, but I ride my MTB on the road. I was riding at least 5 days a week last summer, 10 miles each day. Some days I'd get in a 15 mile ride. In the winter I put the bike on a stationary rack, rode it an hour a day, 5 days a week. I hadn't got back on it, consistantly this year until just last week, as I've been doing morning workouts, instead of evening rides.

Today I did 17.95 miles in 1:27:54, top speed 19.61, average speed 12.27. It would have been faster but 7 miles into it I met up with a buddy and his son, they road along for about 4 miles...they were a bit slower than I like to go, but it was fun having them along.

Hopefully tomorrow will be like today, I'd like to hit 20 miles.

I use the app My Tracks.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
DeadManWalking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Man, you are inspiration to all of us! And don't fret your average speed, remember "the wind is your friend". Keep at it and keep us posted.
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

I love road biking. Bought this last year. I try to ride as much as possible. I haven't been able to do as much as I like so far this year, but the riding season isn't even close to being over yet. I bought the bike in July last year and had 900ish on it before the end of October. That was pretty good for me because I run too and a lot of time was spent doing that. That's awesome you are getting back in to it. I am still a newbie to the sport.
image-3784188123.jpg  
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.