Rifle*Speak... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Rifle*Speak...

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rifle*Speak...

I am looking for a rifle in a 30-06 from $300-400 dollars.

I have my eye on the Savage 111, Weatherby Vanguard, and the S&W ibolt.

The Savage FXCP3 due to it's reputation, the Weatherby due to the adjustable trigger, and the same with the S&W (that and the Thompson barrel @ 23").

With that being said, the S&W has been said to have a "flimsy" stock. I am concerned about this, but I have still heard it is a quality rifle. However, Savage has got my attention, although an 8lb trigger pull sounds like a bit much. For a note, don't tell me to look at a Savage with the accutrigger, they are too expensive to fit my budget.

Go.

vindicated is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

No one? I got my finger on the "purchase" button for the savage.
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

is it possible you could do some trigger work on it yourself? my marlin had a massive pull like that (as many factoy guns do) but i just looked online and found a write up on how to replace the springs with others and now it is down to like 2 pounds.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spife7980 View Post
is it possible you could do some trigger work on it yourself? my marlin had a massive pull like that (as many factoy guns do) but i just looked online and found a write up on how to replace the springs with others and now it is down to like 2 pounds.
Na. I won't dabble in gun smithing unless I know for sure what I am doing (safety reasons). I could take it to a gun smith I guess, but it voids any warranty. I might go with a different savage just so I can get the adjustable trigger. I am stuck now.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
No one? I got my finger on the "purchase" button for the savage.
Nothing wrong with the savage. They make a great barrel. I would probably go with the accustock or wood stocked models as their plain plastic stocks are floppy. Not good for accuracy. The accutrigger is not a great trigger but it's light.

The Vanguard is a Howa rifle. They are quite good for the money. Factory triggers suck. They are adjustable but the ones I have played with were creepy and gritty and not that light. For another $100 you can get a real nice trigger for them though.

The TC Venture is really tough to beat for the money. Almost as good as the Tikka (below). They come with a good adjustable trigger. Nice barrels with 5R rifling make for easier cleaning.

I have never shot the i-bolt. My dealer got some in and had some issues so he never got any more. He is by far the biggest gun seller around here so if he doesn't sell them they just arent around. I did see that CDNN had some crazy iBolt deals in their catalog.

If you want to spend a bit more you can step up to a CZ who makes a great classic Mauser type action. These are really class for what they cost. Some have a 1lb set trigger.

My favorite shooter if all I care about is how it performs and don't care at all about bragging rights is the Tikka T3. The accuracy I have rung out of these is obscene for their price. Forget that. It is obscene for an off the shelf light rifle at any price. They have some plastic bits and show cheapness in more ways than that but they have the smoothest action of any listed here. They have an adjustable trigger that goes down to a beautifully crisp 2lb. With good factory ammo I have never seen one that wouldn't group into an inch but if you handload with premium bullets they will shock you! I have seen honest <1/2" Tikkas with handloads.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Coyotes! I will research that one a bit now.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
duckman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can buy a drop in trigger that is easily adjustable. All of the guns you mentioned have great reputations. I like the savage for the money. That said I shoot Remington 700's and will buy more.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you are ready to pull the trigger and buy one now do you have a reason for having to have it right now? Are you getting it for an upcoming hunt?

If you don't have to have it for a hunt right now then why not wait for a few months and put a little more cash into your gun fund and step up? I know I know you want one now, but with a little more time and maybe even some tax return money added to the piggy bank you can get a much much nicer rifle.

That said the Vanguard is the one I would chose if I could not wait any longer. The lack of adjustability and heavy trigger means you either have the trigger changed out or deal with an 8lb trigger. While not terrible for pulling it while 150 yards from an elk and going for the vitals, trying to squeeze MOA shots out of it on paper is tough.

Like all things firearms are the same firearms from every company are priced close to the same for similar firearms across the board. The #1 rated rifle from Weatherby is going to cost close to the same as the #1 from Remington while the #37 rated Weatherby will be priced close to the #37 rated remington. So you get what you pay for in most cases regardless of brand.

Again if you can wait save some more money and step up to a better level.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
You can buy a drop in trigger that is easily adjustable. All of the guns you mentioned have great reputations. I like the savage for the money. That said I shoot Remington 700's and will buy more.
If one is planning to upgrade, tweak, and modify the Rem 700 is the King! That is not to say they are bad from the factory. They just have so much potential and so much aftermarket support. Every gunsmith in the country is familiar with the action and can blueprint and rebarrel them. There are 100 stock choices. A dozen triggers. The sky is the limit!

The Tikka I mentioned above are fantastic out of the box but it's hard to make them any better than they start out. Most guys that have tried to bed them or do any of the usual stuff that makes a rifle more accurate usually make their Tikka worse. There is one gunsmith in the USA that I know of that blueprints and rebarrels Tikka. The only stock upgrade in the USA is Manners (though that's an awfully good one). And it says a lot that he builds his stocks to work with Tikka's weird bedding system rather than glass/pillar bedding.
Unread 01-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

GrapeApe gives good advice. Don't hurry into something you can get and miss out on what you want. Every time I buy something because it is what I can afford right now I end up regretting it, selling it at a loss, and spending more for the right thing later.

Don't forget to budget for a scope too. The cheapest I would even consider is the Nikon Buckmaster. The Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200, and Sightron SII are also good scopes for someone on a budget. Cheaper than that and I guarantee it will let you down. You may not even realize how it is letting you down until you get something better but it will.

My Dad, my nephew, and myself were out glassing before a hunt. I had not yet bought any good binocs so I had my cheap Tasco binocs along. My Dad had a set of older Burris binocs. My Nephew had just bought a nice $400 Nikon setup. We stopped on a ridge and looked down on the stream below. My nephew says "Look at that 5 point" (they only count one side out here), my Dad says "Which one is the buck?" and I say "Deer? Where?".
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
camhock
2004 WJ 

Marlin xl7....Love it.
camhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes97 View Post
My Dad, my nephew, and myself were out glassing before a hunt. I had not yet bought any good binocs so I had my cheap Tasco binocs along. My Dad had a set of older Burris binocs. My Nephew had just bought a nice $400 Nikon setup. We stopped on a ridge and looked down on the stream below. My nephew says "Look at that 5 point" (they only count one side out here), my Dad says "Which one is the buck?" and I say "Deer? Where?".
So true
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
warrior99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the savage 111 in .308. I don't really know much about guns but I looked at couple. I like the savage because it felt pretty smooth and I have heard good things about savages accuracy. I took it to the range and sighted it in pretty well. So far seems like a solid rifle and I already killed a deer with it. I'm hunting in northern Wisconsin where I'll shoot 75 yards max though lol
[z] . [z]--O-[z]
warrior99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grape makes a very good point, but if you really want to get it now go with the Savage. I have the 111 FCXP3 in 7mm Rem Mag and from a rest or a bipod I can put all three rounds in a dime at 100 yards. The stock isn't as floppy as you might think so long as you keep it tight, and because it is plastic it is inert and will not warp with time or moisture. Kicks like a damn mule, but I love it.
The action is smooth as glass as well, and the trigger has a set screw that will allow you to adjust the break a little. I had it as light as about 3lbs or so, but I found that it was too light. Cranked it back up to about 5 which is really nice. Break is very clean with no real creep to speak of.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say Vanguard. I have the Howa M1500 Lightning, which is essentially the same thing as the Vanguard, but it has a Hogue stock, which I love. Trigger is a bit heavy, but for a hunting gun that isn't always a bad thing. Better than too light. It'll probably be at the upper end of your price range. Around here, they sell em in a package deal with a 3x10 Nikko Sterling Nighteater scope for $470 (dunno why it's called a nighteater, because it obviously isn't night vision of any sort. But I digress). Mine groups great. Hand loads, but very little testing. As in, my second load, it was shooting 1 inch groups at 50 yds. We didn't have much time or ammo and didn't do much at 100, but I don't see it getting a whole lot worse. Great gun to pack around, stock feels awesome, shoots wonderfully.
marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.