Replacing windshield hinges, any ideas. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Replacing windshield hinges, any ideas.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-28-2001, 10:33 AM   #1
OhYeah

Replacing windshield hinges, any ideas.

Hey there,
Anyone have any great ideas on how to get my old windshield hinges off. I tried to use a star bit and the egges just stripped off and it stripped out the bolt on the hinge a little bit. Will some star bits be stronger then others? Any ideas?

Thanks,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2001, 02:17 PM   #2
GroundUpCJ7

Get yourself a torx bit that's guaranteed, like Craftsman. I must have run through 10 of their T45's, but I never paid for them. If you have an impact wrench, use it. Try soaking the bolts with CRC overnight. Otherwise, drill away...
Unread 08-29-2001, 12:41 AM   #3
RickCJ7

Drill them out if the paint is good if not mig a 9/16 nut on and turn them out. Oh yeah, mig the nut on the inside. The heat will loosen them.
Unread 09-05-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
JeeperJay

I just picked up a 92 YJ about a month ago and I think the guy that owned it before me never took off the hard top. It was held down with torx bolts and I sheered off all the bits at my work trying to get those suckers off. I eventually had to take the drill to em. Hope you don't have as much trouble as I did. If you do get em loose let me know how you did it, I've got some new hinges on the way and I'm sure I'm gonna have the same problem
Unread 09-06-2001, 07:53 AM   #5
OhYeah

Hey Jeeper Jay and whoever is interested,

Ok well I worked on the hinges last night, I was having problems with all of the bolts with the torx bit I bought at autozone. I stripped out 3 of them, conclusion was that the bit was junk. So I got some very strong bits from Home Depot and I was able to get all free except those same 3. Issues:

Broke off a strong bit in one of the bolts. I tried to drill through it with a Cobalt Drill bit and I just could not do it. I had to call it a night after that. So I need some advice on what to do also with that bolt.

The bolts on the top part of the hinge go into a plate on the inside with threading so I bought a bolt extractor kit from Autozone (seems to be a good product) which may work for you. Basically what you do with this thing is drill into the center of the bolt with a very strong cobalt bit. Then they give you another bit which you insert into the hole and turn the other way. It is tapered so as you screw it in (counter clockswise) it will get tighter and eventually extract the bolt. I have not actually attempted this yet because of that one stubborn bolt with the bit broken off in it.

On the bottom of the hinge the bolt goes through the fire wall and has a nut on the other side. The nut is covered in some very tuff coating of some sort so I am just going to drill them out with a cobalt bit and then I got some Wing Nuts and washers from the hardware store and I will secure it with that.

So bottom line consider what is on the other side of the bolt. In the case of your hardtop bolts. I think there are threads you want to be careful of so the bolt extractor set may work for you. Please email me if you have any direct questions or any advice. I would appreciate it.

I cannot believe I am going through all this just to relocate my mirrors.

Thanks,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.