Replacing lift gate "hydrolic pistons" for the rear lift gate on an 02 Tahoe. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Replacing lift gate "hydrolic pistons" for the rear lift gate on an 02 Tahoe.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Replacing lift gate "hydrolic pistons" for the rear lift gate on an 02 Tahoe.

Because the Tahoe forums are not as active as JF I have to ask anyone here that has a Tahoe and has changed out the rear lift gate pistons, is there anything special to it? I have them on order and was looking at the ones that are now on and it looks like there is a clip that has to be removed. I haven't removed them yet but I wanted to get a heads up before I break anything. Of course I could buy a Chilton and I probably will, but as a Jeep owner knows there are always little things that help that aren't in the manuals. Any help is appreciated.

4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I changed them in the Jeep and it was pretty easy, only took a few minutes. I would have recommended you go to an auto parts store to get them though, not order them through a dealer. Jeep wanted like $40 per strut and I think autozone had them for like $22 per strut. I'm pretty sure they can't be all that different.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
4XGore

1980 CJ7 

Yea it looks easy, but I know from experience there can be hidden complexities. Did the Jeep have a nut or bolt holding it to the hatch or what?
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I think it was just a pin through the top of the strut with a retainer clip on the end but I did it like a year ago so I don't remember exactly. The new struts came with directions on how to replace them it really wasn't a big deal.

*Make sure you have an extra person there to hold up the door or something to prop it up with. One of the struts is not enough to hold the door up.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Take a small flat head and pull the clips out, they shouldn't come all the way off, just out then pull them off. On the new ones you don't have to do anything but pop them on, clips will spread apart around the ball on the body and lift gate.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
4XGore

1980 CJ7 

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I hope you didn't get them from the dealer. They can be had at most retail auto parts stores fairly inexpensively.
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
4XGore

1980 CJ7 

No I got them at a parts store but I had to order them. I was just looking at the struts and didn't see a screw or bolt or nut and wanted to see if there was anything special before I brake something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.