Renter's rights in California - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Renter's rights in California

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Renter's rights in California

The heater in my apartment has gone out twice in the past month. It always seems to go out on Friday afternoon and the maintenance guys don't seem to think it is an emergency type fix. Because of this, they don't even look at it until Monday. Parts need to be ordered and they should be in by Wednesday. It seems to me that when it is in the high 40s or low 50s outside, heat should be a priority. Do I have any recourse on this? Can I "charge" the management for days that I went without heat?

Unread 01-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
mk20rockeye
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i feel your pain....mine went out a bit over a week agoin my rental outside of paradise. actually thursday. I came home and it was set as usual at 72 and was running on and was like 62 in the house. anyway, we called friday and they gave us attitude about it. I told them I have a 5 month old and they jumped thru the hoops because of being a child in the house and the cool temps. They had someone out that afternoon to check it out. got fixed the next monday. i had the pressure of getting it fixed because i was out of town this week The shark landlords don't make it their problem unless you pressure them about it becuase you still have to pay the rent and getting it fixed costs them money. almost seems a bit of deception works against them best. Use a little white lie and tell them you have a child with you for the weekend and need it fixed right now. For the most part when a child is "involved" the do their job the way it is to be done. as for any recourse, there isn't really much that can be done. all they have to say it is we went and the part can't be here until next business day...monday, unless you can prove them being negligent in something

good luck with the sharks!

1992 XJ Laredo 4.0L, AW4, NP242, 3.5" RE super ride
Definity Dakota 31x10.50 MT's Cragar soft 8

Marine Corps Jeep club member #9
mk20rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm getting ready to call an HVAC tech out and turn in the repair bill with next month's rent. I just don't know the legalities of it, and can't really afford to pay an HVAC weekend rates.
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
mk20rockeye
1995 XJ Cherokee 

another thing you can do is run down to home depot and pick up and space heater and keep it until the heater gets fixed then you have a heater for back up or just return it....beats the price of a call out for HVAC guy at butt load an hour....just a thought. as for the recepit for rpair.....that is kinda sketchy there because the apartment usually has their own repair guys that can't do there job because they don't cost much.

1992 XJ Laredo 4.0L, AW4, NP242, 3.5" RE super ride
Definity Dakota 31x10.50 MT's Cragar soft 8

Marine Corps Jeep club member #9
mk20rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.