Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Renegade is almost here (whats your opinion)

3K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  WaterRat72 
#1 ·
I'm just curious about what the jeep community thinks of the renegade that's coming out this year. I drive a 2015 JKU, and don't expect this thing to be able to keep up. But I am excited for it, I think it's a really good looking small SUV, and it seems to me that jeep is making it as off-road capable as the size would allow. So I'm hoping that it keeps the jeep name true. Unlike the patriot, compass, liberty, commander and so on.

What do yall think?

#2 ·
I actually kind of dig it. It is what it is, Its not trying to be a JK killer, its not trying to be some super off road beast.

On a side note, that burnt orange and black wheel combo looks really good in person IMO.

#3 ·
Only concern is it isn't made here. Just not ready to trust Fiat plants.
While it isn't going to have a low range like the Cherokee, the approach and departure angles are better.
If it had low range, they should have used the Cherokee name on it and the Renegade name on that ugly KL.

#4 · (Edited)
I kinda like the look of the Renegade. I know Jeep can't survive simply making only body on frame solid axle vehicles that can go anywhere. Not everyone needs that. I have to applaud them for making a vehicle that can wheel fairly well for its class of vehicle. They have to make a profit too. The Renegade introduces Jeeps to people who would otherwise not give Jeep a second thought (I know right?!).

Now that said, if I'd ever buy a Renegade, more than likely I'd get the Trailhawk version above the others. :)

#7 ·
They serve their purpose, expanding the market to more people. Just like you see so many JKs on the lots with hardtops and windows up all the time, Jeep has to sell to more than just hard core wheelers, there isn't enough of us to support a whole company.

I would never drive one though, but it is better than the "Cherokee". I park next to a KL everyday in my XJ and the approach angle and departure angle on that thing are horrible! The massive front fender hangs like 2 feet over the front tires. If the renegade had a real transfer case it would be even better off road, and more deserving of the Cherokee name than the KL as someone else already said.

#9 ·
They serve their purpose, expanding the market to more people. Just like you see so many JKs on the lots with hardtops and windows up all the time, Jeep has to sell to more than just hard core wheelers, there isn't enough of us to support a whole company.

I would never drive one though, but it is better than the "Cherokee". I park next to a KL everyday in my XJ and the approach angle and departure angle on that thing are horrible! The massive front fender hangs like 2 feet over the front tires. If the renegade had a real transfer case it would be even better off road, and more deserving of the Cherokee name than the KL as someone else already said.
This.

Sent from somewhere under the heep

#11 ·
I think it's not as good as the KL. Comparing the repectiveTrailhawk models the, the KL has a way better crawl ratio. One slight downside of the KL are approach and departure angles which are slighter better on the Renogade. However, the real winning feature on the KL is a locking rear differential which the Renogade lacks....

#18 ·
I kinda like the way it looks. I think the designers did a good job on the interior/exterior of it. What I don't like is how it's a gussied up Fiat 500x. We already have the Cherokee, Patriot, Compass and Grand Cherokee, so why add another Softroader to dilute the brand?

There was a time when Jeep had a lineup that didn't compromise capability for the sake of sales and used the Wrangler as the flagship offroader to sell the rugged image for the cars with Jeep badges. Look at the early 90's. We had XJ, ZJ and YJ. The ZJ was truely luxury for the time, but still had capability. In fact it could be argued that the YJ was the least capable of the 3.

#31 ·
I kinda like the way it looks. I think the designers did a good job on the interior/exterior of it. What I don't like is how it's a gussied up Fiat 500x. We already have the Cherokee, Patriot, Compass and Grand Cherokee, so why add another Softroader to dilute the brand?

There was a time when Jeep had a lineup that didn't compromise capability for the sake of sales and used the Wrangler as the flagship offroader to sell the rugged image for the cars with Jeep badges. Look at the early 90's. We had XJ, ZJ and YJ. The ZJ was truely luxury for the time, but still had capability. In fact it could be argued that the YJ was the least capable of the 3.
Since I've wheeled both the WJ (closest thing I've wheeled to a ZJ) and the YJ in stock form, I gotta say the WJ might be a bit better. Wheeling a stock YJ ****in sucks.

#19 ·
What the hell is the fascination with driving a tiny lunchbox on wheels? Fiat, Prius, Smart, Mini, etc. etc. etc.

When did the generation lacking man cards rise up to such a mighty level? Enough with the Federal mandates on fuel economy already. It's producing too many ridiculous looking vehicles that are much better suited to narrow, overcrowded Euro streets. And all these things are passing national highway safety tests? Alllllrighty then..

#30 ·
What the hell is the fascination with driving a tiny lunchbox on wheels? Fiat, Prius, Smart, Mini, etc. etc. etc.

When did the generation lacking man cards rise up to such a mighty level? Enough with the Federal mandates on fuel economy already. It's producing too many ridiculous looking vehicles that are much better suited to narrow, overcrowded Euro streets. And all these things are passing national highway safety tests? Alllllrighty then..
Says the guy driving around in a piece of plastic with a minivan motor powering it.

If these models allow jeep to continue to produce a viable offroad vehicle then the more power to them. This argument has been around for longer then you have. Look at the 2wd jeepsters and willys wagons from the 50's. To the Wagoneer, the 'real' fullsize Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer. Then look at the small Cherokee and the AMC cars. We can all want jeep to only produce the most awesome offroad vehicle and then not make enough profit and fall into the wayside like many auto brands have in the past few years or support the other vehicle they produce that allows them to dump money into projects like the rubicon trim on the JK. Without the other models in the line that keep Jeep viable the name would have died in the late 80's because Chrysler sure didn't buy Jeep for the CJ that got discontinued, they wanted that mass selling Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer.

#20 ·
WaterRat72 said:
What the hell is the fascination with driving a tiny lunchbox on wheels? Fiat, Prius, Smart, Mini, etc. etc. etc. When did the generation lacking man cards rise up to such a mighty level? Enough with the Federal mandates on fuel economy already. It's producing too many ridiculous looking vehicles that are much better suited to narrow, overcrowded Euro streets. And all these things are passing national highway safety tests? Alllllrighty then..
Times are changing. Deal with it. Those smaller cars do a lot better in crash tests than older bigger cars. Cars in the 90s and early 2000s were death traps. God forbid people like something else besides their "almighty" wranglers. You're talking about these small cars and crash tests when they let CJs, YJs and TJs roam the streets :rofl:

#21 ·
Oh I dealt with it. Been dealing with it for years now. Will continue to deal with it. In my own way..

I can't remember... I think I've had something in the neighborhood of 10 cars in the last ten years. None of which would appeal to a particular trend or any hipster. Some big. Most powerful. I have a Wrangler now (don't know how "almighty" it is but so far it's shown promise in this area) because I like off roading and camping. My FJ did fine but I wanted something a bit more. With 4 doors. My M3 certainly wasn't going to get me where my buddies and I go hence the Wrangler.

I don't think God should forbid it. I certainly don't. People are free to like whatever they want and drive what they want. More power to them. I just don't get the 'tiny car' trend. This of course, as I stated before, is just my opinion and you know what they say about those. ;) If you or someone else likes it then that's alright.

Now since I own a JK I can't really speak to how CJ's, YJ's or TJ's would hold up in a crash but you can't tell me you'd rather be in a Smart Car vs. a JK when the SHTF can you? (I don't know which one of those has the hideous square headlights but I'm sure it would be a deathtrap based soley on those headlights) :p

#22 ·
I think it is perfect for my Wife she is not a hard core off roader but for her to be able to slap it in 4WD and kick out of some mud makes it perfect. and its manly in a womanly way. I think it would look sexy next to my jeep wrangler.

#23 ·
WaterRat72 said:
What the hell is the fascination with driving a tiny lunchbox on wheels? Fiat, Prius, Smart, Mini, etc. etc. etc. When did the generation lacking man cards rise up to such a mighty level? Enough with the Federal mandates on fuel economy already. It's producing too many ridiculous looking vehicles that are much better suited to narrow, overcrowded Euro streets. And all these things are passing national highway safety tests? Alllllrighty then..
Ha ha ha ... the car industry is catering to a metrosexual audience. Every time I see a Nissan Cube, Honda Element, or any Scion we are reminded of this. That being said, this little Jeep is still somehow OK as a commuter-urban sprawl mobile.

#25 ·
I saw one at the DC auto show and threw up a little in my mouth.
Jeeps aren't supposed to be pretty, in fact it's the single minded ugliness that makes them so endeared. Even the original Liberty that looked like the happy chevron car were only ugly enough to be cute. This thing that was spinning on the platform in front of me was purposeless in its ugliness. It looked like several different focus groups polled hipsters, teen girls, metro lumberjacks and frustrated ricers. Took all their suggestions, picked everything they could cheaply put together and called it done.

I did like the cutaway of the new Ram 1500 diesel. I paced off the size of it and I think I can stuff it into my YJ:2thumbsup:

#26 ·
Seems like it would be a great commuter or grocery getter and get off the road a little. My daily driver is a Ford Fusion. If it got as good mpg ( and reputation) as my car I would rather have it over a regular car as long as it wasn't too small.

I wouldn’t consider it as an off roader but it would get me further down the trial then my Fusion. I wouldn’t trade in my TJ for it but maybe my Fusion.

#28 ·
#36 ·
Don't forget square headlights. You always have to mention square headlights.

Jeep's gonna sell a crap ton of these Renegades. I may buy a used one after we see how many "quirks" they have.

#39 ·
Not to jump too far off topic here, but this is one of the reasons why I didn't seriously consider getting a Cherokee. I test drove one, loved it, but it was $3k more than an almost fully loaded JKUR. Surprised the Renegade gets as expensive as it can with the added options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.