Remote helicopter recommendation under $100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Remote helicopter recommendation under $100

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remote helicopter recommendation under $100

My son has had a remote control helicopter that he has enjoyed. The problem is battery life is only about 5 minutes. I'm looking for one under $100 that has a replaceable battery. I've read about models from Syma have good recommendations but can't tell if they have easily replaceable batteries. On his current models the battery can be accessed but you have to unscrew covers to do it. I'm looking for one that is meant to quickly be swapped. Any recommendations?

Unread 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Typically your inexpensive "toy" grade helicopters have proprietary components that are sealed, so you'll need to consider something that's above the typical toy crap you find at Radio Shack or wherever.

HeliMax makes a very nice beginners helicopter that essentially flies itself:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXVP7**&P=0

And it has replaceable batteries. It is a "Mini" sized helicopter, which means you'll need a rather large open space to fly it comfortably (at first at least, until you are comfortable with how it flies), but it's a real genuine hobby grade Helicopter. There are replacement parts available too, as well as additional batteries. You will also want to get yourself a charger that can charge multiple batteries at once for more fun time.

Here are additional batteries for it:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVH2&P=M

A charger is going to cost you a bit more if you want to go that route, otherwise charge times are going to be around 1-2 hours.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Get a trainer.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Blade MSR - I noticed Amazon has them a lot cheaper than they use to. $119
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-3000-mSR...ords=Blade+MSR

This is the next stage up from the coax. You can fly for about five min, but the battery can be removed & you can charge five batteries at a time. It flys like a hummingbird.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Blades have this fabulous issue of frying the proprietary brick they include... I don't recommend any of the Blades...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Get him a real choppa
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

just picked up a few of theses, i got a syma s107 and s109 apache, the 107 is nice because its a all metal frame and is built good, i went with syma because all of the parts are replaceable, check out amazon! the battery is very easy to replace and you can get a bigger one to but not sure if it last any longer as it weights more.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.