Recommend a Rucksack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Recommend a Rucksack

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Recommend a Rucksack

I'm in the market for a medium sized rucksack. I was going to pickup an army surplus, but I figured i'd ask around before doing so.

Purpose: general, anything from hiking to going to the range

Budget: eleventy-million dollars

What do you guys recommend?

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Well, they aren't for everyone, but depending on your needs check out Duluth Pack.
Handmade in Minnesota and built tough. I have several and love them all. A good ruck is the Rambler or the Wanderer.

But like I said, your needs may vary.
ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
nwiTJdave

are you looking for a daypack, 3 day pack or more?

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A buddy of mine bought one of these and loves it. He is going to buy another pretty soon.

https://www.goruckgear.com/
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a Maxpedition Condor II backpack that I have had for a few years. They are very well made with good stitching and very strong zippers. They are pricy backpacks but will hold up to whatever you put them up to

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Backpacks-c12.htm.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying2275 View Post
I've got a Maxpedition Condor II backpack that I have had for a few years. They are very well made with good stitching and very strong zippers. They are pricy backpacks but will hold up to whatever you put them up to

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Backpacks-c12.htm.
x2 on maxpeditions stuff. I have two of their "gearslinger" bags, the largest one is to big to be packed full and carried very far, but thats an issue with it being a single strap bag, lot of weight on just one shoulder, but for short trips or light loads it would make it as good a range bag or day pack, but mine sees the most use strapped to the back seat of my motorcycle for multiday trips and as a airport carry-on. i have a smaller one i use for EDC on the bike, both are awesome pieces of gear and have over 1000miles on them.

If you felling even more spendy ive heard great things about TADs FAST packs, if they're anything like their jackets they're top notch
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equ...Bags-And-Packs
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been hearing alot of good about those maxpedition packs, i'll look into them.

This is mainly a going to be a day pack. I need something suitable to throw my junk in, beat around and not worry about it falling apart.

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

Unread 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

If its just for day use, and the ability to take a serious beating...then ElkhornRanch is right, Duluth packs are great (albeit not everyones style)

There are lots of options in the daypack category. Most will be sized between 15L and 30L, or 950 cubic inches to 1850 cubic inches. If durability is primary, look for ones made of Cordura nylon or heavy canvas. Zippers can be a weak point, so I usually look for at least a #8 or #10 YKK, and avoid the 'waterpoof zips' with the rubberized, out-facing tape...they will fall apart after a season or two of hard use. A good pack with have a double layer or reinforced bottom, some organizing space or pockets, and a comfortable harness. Some folks prefer the klettersac design or top-loader because they are a little more durable and weatherproof. Others prefer a wide open zip style because it allows faster/easier access to the contents.

The police tactical unit around here uses these in black....http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/...er-daypack.jsp
ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to go for the Maxpedition Falcon 2. It was pricey ($120) but the reviews are really good, it's usually the first response people say when I ask around, and it looks like the design will best suite my needs.

Thanks, all , for the advice.

Unread 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at that same pack. Orange is OOS on their site, but I haven't looked elsewhere. Where'd you pick it up for $120?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nevermind... I found it at Amazon for ~$120 and they have it in orange
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Nevermind... I found it at Amazon for ~$120 and they have it in orange

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think I'll wait to pull the trigger until you've had yours for a bit. There are only 2 x 1 star reviews, but one of them was going on about how "slow" the pack is... undoing clips and releasing compression straps etc before you can get into it. I'm planning on using it for my med bag, so easy access is pretty important. The bag I've been using for several years 1. isn't a backpack, and 2. doesn't open up as nicely as the Falcon 2. But, I can get what I need quickly.

If you don't need your stuff in seconds, it looks like a sweet bag I'll probably still get it
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I'll wait to pull the trigger until you've had yours for a bit. There are only 2 x 1 star reviews, but one of them was going on about how "slow" the pack is... undoing clips and releasing compression straps etc before you can get into it. I'm planning on using it for my med bag, so easy access is pretty important. The bag I've been using for several years 1. isn't a backpack, and 2. doesn't open up as nicely as the Falcon 2. But, I can get what I need quickly.

If you don't need your stuff in seconds, it looks like a sweet bag I'll probably still get it
lol, good point. I purchased specifically for the many compartments. Some guys like a sack, others like individual compartments. There's no right or wrong, just preference.

Mine should arrive today, i'll let you know my initial impressions.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I know on my Kodiak bag the compression straps are removable, its a nice feature.

But for quick access to med supplies there are several companies than make MOLLE add on pouches or velco stuff with that specifically in mind

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ding-7p740.htm
http://www.itstactical.com/store/its...edical-insert/
http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd-bd...ical-pouch.cfm
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.