The Real Silent Hill - Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > The Real Silent Hill - Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

The Real Silent Hill - Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire

For those who are unaware, Centralia, PA has a mine fire burning deep underneath the town. The fire started in the trash pit back in 1962 and has been burning ever since. Estimates put the duration of the burn (From this point) in centuries - 250-500 years or more. Roger Avery, director of the "Silent Hill" movie, has said part of his inspiration for the movie was from Centralia. He was told about Centralia when he was a child by his father. He and the production crew for the movie visited Centralia as well.

I edited a video late last night (1am). It has some good shots of the highway, smoke from the fire, the church, etc. I've only edited 1 other video ever, so it's nothing amazing.

Click here for the video:

Once a thriving mountain town with thousands of people, on top of a massive deposite of Anthracite coal (the longest burning coal in the world), Centralia has deteriorated significantly over the years. Currently the population estimate is under 7 people. As of yesterday it seems only 2-3 houses, a church, an autobody style shop, and the municpal building remain.

Route 61, the main north-south thru-road, has had problems as well. The only Route 61 has subsided extensively. That part of the road has been closed, and a new road around it has been established for several years now. As you can see from the image below, it is not somewhere you want to drive your car. Though a Jeep, or other four wheel drive vehicle makes for a fun time:

As you heard from the video, this is the most people I've EVER seen here on one trip:

This part of Centralia is the ridge that runs west to east:

In the distance you can see new wind turbines that were added over the last 2-3 years:

You can also see the church:

Which upon closer inspection, is really quite near to the church in "Silent Hill" - closer shot:

One of 3 cemetaries in town:

Heading out of town to the East provides some great trails. There are some nice powerlines trails, and intersecting trails that provide some mild wheeling. Nothing too crazy, but it can get a little sketchy at times. Some shots here:

More trips, more videos, more photos in the future. I'm open to recommendations on what you would like to see more of when I head up there next time.

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Very cool!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
XREBELX
1998 XJ Cherokee 

might be heading out there sometime soon with some of my friends..not trying to stay the night though haha
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fantastic, thanks. This is a place that is definitely on my list to see, I fully intended to stop on my motorcycle trip before if fell through this summer.
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
nwiTJdave

Pretty crazy how coal is very internally combustible. I'm curios how much $ was lost on coal underground there

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Thanks all! Since some of you enjoy the "smoke" photos - here are some older photos with the smoke:

Self portrait of me hanging out in one of the smoke filled holes:
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
nwiTJdave

Need vids of girls jumping

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Need vids of girls jumping
The girls in the photo are my ex g/f's two cousins. These vids were shot back in 2009. Front pass. is 24 (My ex g/f), blonde rear seat pass. is 23, brunette rear seat pass. is 22.

The 4 of us:

The 4 of us again:

My friend Heather riding shotgun:

Enough for you Mr. Humper of Leg?

Unread 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Very interesting
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
The girls in the photo are my ex g/f's two cousins. These vids were shot back in 2009. Front pass. is 24 (My ex g/f), blonde rear seat pass. is 23, brunette rear seat pass. is 22.

The 4 of us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBqaOkfT4gk

The 4 of us again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypkwrFmm04k

My friend Heather riding shotgun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOyvc8Jzxg

Enough for you Mr. Humper of Leg?
Is it ever enough? (rhetorical)

Video # 2 of backseat brunette sans jacket is "the tits"
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You do know that silent hill was a video game first and it was based loosely on my favorite book Crime and Punishment. Didn't ya?
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You do know that silent hill was a video game first and it was based loosely on my favorite book Crime and Punishment. Didn't ya?
Yes, but the movie town of Silent Hill was based off of Centralia.

"While the film Silent Hill is based upon a series of popular video games uninspired by the tragedy in Centralia, PA, screenwriter Roger Avary used the real-life incident as a framework for his adaptation. Named one of the top 10 scariest places in the world, Centralia has long been considered a key hotspot for paranormal activity -- a destination hiding the gates of hell just below its surface. Disembodied voices of children crying out through the smoke have been reported, as well as the ghosts of coal miners walking the town's nameless streets."

http://www.chillertv.com/shows/real_...es/silent_hill

Unread 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
Yes, but the movie town of Silent Hill was based off of Centralia.

"While the film Silent Hill is based upon a series of popular video games uninspired by the tragedy in Centralia, PA, screenwriter Roger Avary used the real-life incident as a framework for his adaptation. Named one of the top 10 scariest places in the world, Centralia has long been considered a key hotspot for paranormal activity -- a destination hiding the gates of hell just below its surface. Disembodied voices of children crying out through the smoke have been reported, as well as the ghosts of coal miners walking the town's nameless streets."

http://www.chillertv.com/shows/real_...es/silent_hill
That's just wicked. The photos are great as well
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Sooooooooooooo do any of those 3 live in West Chester too? I'm just a short drive away haha.

-Max.
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Here is a "drive around" video of the town. You can see one of the remaining houses, and the rest is .. well, just empty streets.

The video is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBJ33P View Post
That's just wicked. The photos are great as well
Thanks! I should've taken more. Next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus856 View Post
Sooooooooooooo do any of those 3 live in West Chester too? I'm just a short drive away haha.

-Max.
One is from Philly, one from Delaware. I used to live in WC - have worked here for 8 years though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.