RB1 Nav unit - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > RB1 Nav unit

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #61
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So, you guys are sure about this?

If you/I have only the RB1 and the factory Sirius....getting this cable, which is apparently just longer than the one I have, will in fact bring the artist/title info to the RB1?

Please tell me how a cable with the same connections, only longer, is going to make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what I have to get, then that's what I have to get. But, doesn't anybody agree with me out there???

Doesn't the fact that the cable is only longer, and having no different pin configurations, confuse anybody else?

Where is GeoBigJon? What did he figure out..His posting was way too quick. I was expecting to read about the pin locations.
I read that he bought the 'artist cable' that everyone talks about. Which, if you looked at, only has a 10 and 8 pin made for the CD changer in Libertys..... Then he bought this 5066203AA we've been talking about, but research shows that it is the same cable, only an 'extension'.
Can anyone verify this?

I know it's getting to the whining part for me, but you know, when you research something and it's supposed to work the way you read up on selling websites, factory sites, and even consumer reviews, it's a little disappointing, not to mention frustrating as hell.
I just can't believe how clueless the stealership really is about all this...

Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #62
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't have any definite confirmation of any way to go directly from the Sirius tuner to the RB1 without using the multiplexer (or apparently the Ipod kit as well), sorry.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #63
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So, in theory, it should work with just the iPod box from Chrysler? The direct connect version, right?

So the other guys talking about it have at least one or the other and not just Sirius and the RB1?

Thanks for your input,people, I really appreciate it.
David
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #64
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

read this post:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/rb1-radio-303952/

CuHead appears to have it working with the artist cable from the Sirius to the RB1. See post # 22 "Then I installed PN 5066203AA 12 pin to 10 pin cable directly from the Sirius to the RB1 head unit and it works completely, including getting that artist and song title."

Might want to ping him and see if it is still working.

Bob
sadlerb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #65
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yeah I read that one, I think by now I have read just about every post possible about this. That cable he is reffering to, is two separate ones. The "artist cable" is a 10 to 8 pin design to rectify the song info on CD changers. Namely the Liberty. The 506 cable, apparently, is just a longer version of the cable already in the factory setup. it goes from the Sirius under the steering column, to the HU.
From what I am finding out, it looks like I need either the multiplexer or the iPod kit. Hopefully, only one is needed. I am supposed to be receiving the pod kit in the mail shortly. I will definately post up the results.

But don't let that stop the posting. Please, if anybody has anymore info on this, please, post it up.
Thanks
David
Unread 11-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #66
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, if anybody cares to know the solution, I have figured it out.
I received the iPod kit on Friday afternoon and proceeded to fiddle with my stereo. I took the pod kit and plugged in the respective cables to there locations, and to no surprise, the title/artist still did not show up!! I was really confused at this point. Not to mention getting more and more disappointed with this whole thing.
Just then I decided to try the cable that came with iPod kit. It was the same connectors on both ends, right? Well, yes and no. I ran that cable straight from the Sirius tuner directly into the RB1....... Holy artist info, Batman... That did it.
What, you may ask, was the difference in these cables? Well, I was asking the same thing. I compared them, and found that, like some others may have found but not shared, there was, in fact, one more wire. But this wasn't an issue from buying the longer cable or not. It was on the pod kit version. So, I pondered on how to actually make this connection without being able to duplicate what the factory connector is like.
So, I just literally put a stripped end of a wire in both ends and made it a little 'puffy' inside the connector, and hoped for the best.

So far, I have saved myself from having to spend 70 something dollars for longer cable. Right now, the iPod box is sandwiched right on top of the Sirius tuner with some velcro. All the connections reach just fine.

And now I have all the info I could ever want from my music.
Unread 11-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #67
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad it worked out for you. I think the longer cable is so you can mount the tuner where the passenger door strap bracket it. Did you get the Wrangler installation kit with your Sirius?

Bob
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #68
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlerb_98
Glad it worked out for you. I think the longer cable is so you can mount the tuner where the passenger door strap bracket it. Did you get the Wrangler installation kit with your Sirius?

Bob
The Sirius kit came from the factory. That was my issue. The 'factory' setup wasn't made to do that, at least not in the Wranglers.
The longer cable must also have that 'extra' wire, and nobody bothered to check that out. I guess nobody had the exact combination that I did, or the issue I was dealing with. Everybody was already putting in the iPod kit or the multiplex, which, apparently came with the 'right' cable.
The Sirius came mounted to the lower dash bezel just below the steering wheel right in front of where your knees would sit. I didn't need the longer cable as I mounted the iPod box right on top of that one. Strangest part about the whole thing, is that the cable I was having the issue with, the one that came with the Jeep, had the 5066203AA number right on it.
This is why I was so confused as to why the longer cable was any different.

So, in a nut shell, the factory supplied Sirius kit in the Wranglers, (who knows what and how many years, or maybe just mine..) does not have the capability to display any info, on any radio, unless it has that extra wire in the cable harness. It has nothing to do with having or not having the Multiplex or the iPod kit. Those are simply what they say they are, multiplexers. They allow more than one device to share one input.
The Sirius tuners already have that signal broadcast to them, it's just a matter of getting that signal over to the HU. And all it took was a scrape piece of wire I had laying around....

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help....I appreciate all of it.
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #69
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that is a very good write up. I forgot that your Sirius tuner is located at the knee panel. I wonder why Jeep just doesn't have that extra pin populated from the factory and save everyone all the trouble. I can't imagine it saves them that much money.

Bob
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #70
Cardplayer

Mr. Orange and his iPod kit

Mr. Orange,
How is the iPod kit working with your system? I've read posts that indicate the iPod kit may have some issues when installed with a Sirius system.
Cardplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #71
geo1er

Need help guys have a lot of questions regarding the RB1 unit.

First off, I understand there are two types one with premium sound one with regular sound, how do you know what you are buying is there a certain serial number or part number that identifies which is which?

Second, I've been hearing a lot lately about the Mopar ipod connector kit, does this work with both premium and regular sound models?

I know the RB1 doesn't currently allow you to insert a dvd in to the slot to watch a movie but if I have an ipod that plays movies/videos will I be able to watch movies on my RB1 if I purchase and connect the Mopar ipod kit?

Last I've been also hearing a lot about the modified RB1's that you send off to a company to be modified so you can play movies and add a back up camera, has anyone done this? Does it work well? Is it worth the price?
geo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #72
Cardplayer

RB1 versions

I believe there is only one version of the RB1 although there have been some revisions to the unit since its introduction. Check out this site for a detail of various Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar radios: http://www.wjjeeps.com/radios.htm.
Cardplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #73
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've seen a few sites advertising premium and non-premium sound versions, but as Cardplayer linked to the best information source for the RB1, they don't mention multiple versions and I've seen nothing to suggest multiple versions exist.

The ipod adapter will not let you play video on the RB1. It may let you listen to it through the speakers, but I don't have it so I can't say for sure. As far as paying the $2 grand or so to have it hacked for video playback, you just have to decide yourself if you want to spend that much money for video on a 4" or so screen. IMO it's not worth it. If you really want a backup camera, just get one of the ones that comes with a sunvisor or mirror-mounted LCD, you'll spend a whole lot less. But hey, if you've got that much cash burning a hole in your pocket, let us know how it works

Unread 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #74
geo1er

Thanks a lot for your feedback fellas, do appreciate it. I have been to that site before cardplayer, as to many others, but thanks for the link anyway. I guess sometimes you don't know which sites to trust.

Still in the market for an RB1, theres a guy here in NY selling his for $750, claims its brand new and still in the box, haven't seen it yet, although I don't think you can beat that price, but who knows if I go and drop the $750 and the product turns out being defective.

Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted.
geo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #75
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, there is a "Trail" function but I've never used it, I think it saves like 100 miles or so and it will work off-road.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.